The Doom Room: ILF Edition

Re: The Doom Room: ILF Edition

Postby conky » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Iommic Pope wrote:Those are some hefty sutures there, sir.

Neurosis are great.
I have been drinking.

That is all.

Had a carpal tunnel release a couple of years ago. Took about 6 months to get back 100% but it feels better than ever. And yes, Neurosis is great, even if their last two albums left me a little disappointed.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby emptyparadigm » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm glad you and I are on the same page with those albums, conk.
KHEMMIS. Doomed heavy metal. DECEIVER out 11/19/21 on Nuclear Blast.

GLACIAL TOMB. Misanthropic death/black/sludge. S/t debut out now on Gilead Media.

Good deals with: Ancient Astronaught, conky, crohny, D-Day, Corey Y, ryan summit, tons more here and on HCFX under this username
emptyparadigm

experienced
experienced

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:56 pm

Did you guys see that shit live?
I really like those records anyway, but I think they translate better on the stage (I know everybody says that).
Last night's show was very different to the last time I saw them. They did a few new numbers, stuck a heap of really ambient droney feedback interludes between songs (which is standard practice for them, but there was something about the way they did it last night that was more tension building than the previous tour), and they did a few really old numbers from Souls at Zero and the like and retooled them.
Was fucking great.

That's cool the surgery worked out for you, conk :thumb:
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby emptyparadigm » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Iommic Pope wrote:Did you guys see that shit live?
I really like those records anyway, but I think they translate better on the stage (I know everybody says that).
Last night's show was very different to the last time I saw them. They did a few new numbers, stuck a heap of really ambient droney feedback interludes between songs (which is standard practice for them, but there was something about the way they did it last night that was more tension building than the previous tour), and they did a few really old numbers from Souls at Zero and the like and retooled them.
Was fucking great.

That's cool the surgery worked out for you, conk :thumb:

That's rad. I haven't seen them since Fires came out, but I agree that the newer songs are more compelling live. I wish they'd recorded with someone else who translated their sound to tape better, like Sanford Parker.

GLACIAL TOMB. Misanthropic death/black/sludge. S/t debut out now on Gilead Media.

Good deals with: Ancient Astronaught, conky, crohny, D-Day, Corey Y, ryan summit, tons more here and on HCFX under this username
emptyparadigm

experienced
experienced

Postby christianatl » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:36 am

Do y'all like Swans? Because their last two, while certainly not doom, are heavy as fuck and awesome.

It's weird to hear a band put out incredible records late in their career. Logic suggests that later records would be better, but history suggests otherwise. Harvey Milk and The birthday Party are also great examples of this, IMO.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whores/108004672554176
http://whores.bandcamp.com
http://whores.bigcartel.com

WTB: Chase Bliss Tonal Recall, Keeley 30ms Delay, cool fuzzes and hand-painted stuff.
christianatl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:53 pm

christianatl wrote:Do y'all like Swans? Because their last two, while certainly not doom, are heavy as fuck and awesome.

It's weird to hear a band put out incredible records late in their career. Logic suggests that later records would be better, but history suggests otherwise. Harvey Milk and The birthday Party are also great examples of this, IMO.

Swans came through Grand Rapids a few years ago. Unreal set. Super heavy and visceral.

I don't really listen to them much from a recordings standpoint but live they wrecked it.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby emptyparadigm » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:50 pm

christianatl wrote:Do y'all like Swans? Because their last two, while certainly not doom, are heavy as fuck and awesome.

Harvey Milk. Fuck I love that band.

emptyparadigm

experienced
experienced

Postby HeavyXIII » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:42 pm

I've not really come across a Neurosis album that I didn't like, but for me, once a band has created so much music, I'm usually so set in my favorites that new music doesn't sway me. That said, I definitely appreciate that they keep finding new things to incorporate into their arsenal. Really glad they haven't burnt out yet, though that might be an interesting sound, too.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby Iommic Pope » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Yeah i get that, too.
Neurosis are one of the few bands that i find stay compelling.
WWPD?

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mmurphy1000 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:45 pm

nablock wrote:Speaking of drummers and recording...

We just tracked all of the drums for our first LP over the weekend. Turned out great!

http://youtu.be/ZIOogVed1RI

Mic setup for those that care:
Snare top: Audix i5
Snare bottom: Shute SM57
Kick port: Audix d6
Ddrum trigger on kick batter head
Rack toms: EV RE16
Floor tom: EV RE20
Overheads: Rode NT5 pair
Room: CAD Equitek e200 large diaphragm condenser

Nice, look forward to hearing the whole thing!
mmurphy1000

committed
committed

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:45 am

I have a strange dilemma which for many wouldn't sound like a dilemma, but I've been asked to join an established band called Ikaray, but for some reason I'm getting cold feet. They always liked my playing but they are planning tours and such, but I havent toured or gigged in a real long time and my gear is more bedroom orientated stuff now-a-days as I don't have much pants flapping doom gear since apartment living makes that a bit tough. For some reason I feel sort of uncommitted as I know a touring band can get expensive especially as you commit serious time to it.

What do you think should I jump in and try my hardest, buy some big amps, and see what happens? Or should I tell them to look elsewhere?

By the way this is them, https://ikaraydoom.bandcamp.com/releases
I'm friends with the singer and the drummer, their girlfriends are good friends with mine haha
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:45 am

That's a tricky thing, dude. Especially if you like the band. I guess you should think about whether or not you can really contribute to them to the degree you would want as a fan?

I like Swans but I think you should look back a little bit -- the newest stuff is good but their peak, IMO, is with Soundtracks for the Blind and My Father will Guide Me up a Rope to the Sky. Jarboe adds a dimension to the band that is lacking in the 'dude rock' era they've got going on now.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:52 am

sergiomunoz74 wrote:I have a strange dilemma which for many wouldn't sound like a dilemma, but I've been asked to join an established band called Ikaray, but for some reason I'm getting cold feet. They always liked my playing but they are planning tours and such, but I havent toured or gigged in a real long time and my gear is more bedroom orientated stuff now-a-days as I don't have much pants flapping doom gear since apartment living makes that a bit tough. For some reason I feel sort of uncommitted as I know a touring band can get expensive especially as you commit serious time to it.

What do you think should I jump in and try my hardest, buy some big amps, and see what happens? Or should I tell them to look elsewhere?

I'm friends with the singer and the drummer, their girlfriends are good friends with mine haha

I felt like your gear was probably close to doomy enough. You have a Sovtek Mig don't you? Maybe just need a different cab. Also know that public transit makes cab impossible so maybe see what gear they've got you can use?

I mean -- don't do it if you're not feeling it but could be cool if you want to live the gig life.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:47 pm

odontophobia wrote:
sergiomunoz74 wrote:I have a strange dilemma which for many wouldn't sound like a dilemma, but I've been asked to join an established band called Ikaray, but for some reason I'm getting cold feet. They always liked my playing but they are planning tours and such, but I havent toured or gigged in a real long time and my gear is more bedroom orientated stuff now-a-days as I don't have much pants flapping doom gear since apartment living makes that a bit tough. For some reason I feel sort of uncommitted as I know a touring band can get expensive especially as you commit serious time to it.

I felt like your gear was probably close to doomy enough. You have a Sovtek Mig don't you? Maybe just need a different cab. Also know that public transit makes cab impossible so maybe see what gear they've got you can use?

I mean -- don't do it if you're not feeling it but could be cool if you want to live the gig life.

Yeah I got a Mig50, I probably just need a 4x12, instead of my 2x12. I don't know if my amp will compete with their amps as I have to see what they got. I definitely will have to see what the dudes got in their space. I think they have a Sunn 2x15 I could use.

I'm sorta debating because I was saving cash for real life move somewhere warmer, or for a college degree. Although gig life sounds kick ass at the same time and it's rare to get that opportunity especially when all I gotta do is learn to play some old songs and thats it for now. Later on I would have to figure out how much I could actually contribute and whether they like what I come up with once they start making new songs for the next albums and such,
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby Iommic Pope » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:44 pm

I was using a Mig 50 and an orange 212 in a situation against a dual rectifier and an orange 412.
It kept up.
And only on like 6, where the recto was running closer to flat out.
Thise things are fuxking crazy.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org