FIXER UPPER

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

FIXER UPPER

Postby !Aidan198 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Ive got an old foxx fuzz / wah all i need is the correct UF and voltage FOR THE ONLY 2 FILM CAPS I HAVE ON IT( SEE PICS) IVE GOT THE ELECTROLITIC CAPS COVERED ALL I NEED IS THE film CAPS. please help PS TRYED TO DOWNLOAD PIC IT SAID 2 MB TOO MUCH WHATEVER !!! SOMEBODY TELL ME ALL THE FILM CAP VALUES ON A 71 OR 72 FOX FUZZ /WAH IF YOU CAN THXS
!Aidan198

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: FIXER UPPER

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:59 pm

I did a Google search for "foxx fuzz wah" and a schematic with component values is the second image found. That might be what you need :)

Looking at the schematic, there are only a few non polarized caps .. but there are definitely two 100n that are specified "film" there
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ben79 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:12 pm

!Aidan198 wrote:Ive got an old foxx fuzz / wah all i need is the correct UF and voltage FOR THE ONLY 2 FILM CAPS I HAVE ON IT( SEE PICS) IVE GOT THE ELECTROLITIC CAPS COVERED ALL I NEED IS THE film CAPS. please help PS TRYED TO DOWNLOAD PIC IT SAID 2 MB TOO MUCH WHATEVER !!! SOMEBODY TELL ME ALL THE FILM CAP VALUES ON A 71 OR 72 FOX FUZZ /WAH IF YOU CAN THXS

Not seeing any pics.

I think the fuzz portion is the Tone Machine...

And the wah portion is....

NSFW: show

Can't guarantee those are 100% accurate schematics but should give you the cap values you need.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby !Aidan198 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:55 pm

thankyou so much im a novice and i put in some 1 uf caps but i just got the pedal to give volume when i hooked it up i have all the electrolitic caps on me to replace BUT do i need a higher voltage 1 uf film cap to make it work? im sorry but i dont know the voltage of the 1 uf greenies i put in but it did make a differance ( ie volume on pedal when engaged ) any ideas
!Aidan198

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:27 pm

https://goo.gl/images/Y8fr1v

That's the schematic I was looking at and you can see the top portion is the fuzz part.. there's a couple of 100n labeled as film.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ben79 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:36 am

1uf is big for a greeny, I don't think Ive ever seen one - are you sure you've got the right value?
Just to be clear, the voltage marked on a cap is a guide for its maximum voltage handling (that's probably a crude definition, I'm no expert). It's unlikely your caps will be rated for a voltage lower than what you've got in that circuit.
To help us help you, can you try to ask a more focussed question and write a little more clearly? ;)
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:58 pm

I agree. It's probably 0.1uf or 100nf. The schematic I posted a link to shows 2x100nf films. You can get those in a green film package easily, though I find in a fuzz circuit monolithic or ceramic are just fine imo. If you're going for period correct then use a green 104 and you're done
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects