Red Panda Tensor

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Red Panda Tensor

Postby elevenstrings » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Though, I agree with the availability of this pedal being a positive for a lot of people - but the high-ish price will probably keep a lot of people away, especially for the fact that I think that most average musicians still don't actually know what to do or how to utilize these kind of pedals, so that coupled with the price might make it a tough sell (though I hope I'm wrong).

Not to toot my horn or anything, but my last album is filled with mulitple revolvers, judder, possessed, raptio, superflutter, ct5, 856forzellersasn, and double mandala (with a generous dose of Miku), as we all know here stacking loopers and glitch pedals leads to very random, unpredictable (and difficult to recreate lol) results. (have a listen: https://jeanbaudin.bandcamp.com - #13, #17, #20, #23 are glitchiest, but there's lots of subtle glitches spread throughout)

From the video, the pedal seems quite different from what I heard from Winter NAMM, I'm digging the changes and I like the new enclosure/color scheme. I want one!
elevenstrings

experienced
experienced

Postby Seance » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:35 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:Blowing anything out of the water is unlikely in this genre of pedals anyway because every single pedal does things differently. Even the various stutter pedals on the market operate differently, dump their buffer differently, have different levels of control, and aim to cover different ground. Its not like these are tube screamer variants.

The glitch/stutter/delay-samplehold waters are somewhat of a series of puddles and are
a total backwater compared to the vast ocean of distortion and overdrive pedals fed by
the vast tributaries of the global guitar-playing mainstream.

And yet... "blowing anything out of the water" is difficult since that brackish puddles of
glitch-stutter-fuckery are engaged with on the molecular level. Musicians microscope right
into the droplets they capture on a glass slide, some are lucky enough to have secured a
small petri dish full of such effects... but the glitch-waters are diffuse and located in small
protected estuaries and local habitats spread out over a vast distance. Hard to get a
"groundswell" of support for such a widely dispersed, specific phenomenon.

Which is somewhat like the situation with the majority of effect pedals pre-internet.
Back in the day you played what you could stumble across. The wait-lists and small-batch
numbers in glitch-stutter world sort of artificially recreate that kind of pedal ecosystem.

More growth in more directions on a wider scale might increase evolutionary steps... but
might also lead to more homogeneity as the sonic koalas and duckbill platypuses of micro-climates
are overrun by Rats and swaddled in the smallpox blankets of Tubescreamer variants.

We shall see.
:cool:
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:47 pm

That was poetic

I always welcome more effects in this genre as they're way more fun and dynamic than almost any other effect.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Seance wrote:sonic koalas

Next band name sorted.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Seance wrote:might also lead to more homogeneity as the sonic koalas and duckbill platypuses of micro-climates are overrun by Rats and swaddled in the smallpox blankets of Tubescreamer variants.

We shall see.

Late entry for '17 MLP (Most Loquatuous Post)

Will only say what Seance said, but worse, and not to put too fine a evolutionary point on it, but here goes:

the first one is a unicorn, and that's enough. It blows the mind, &c. Howling fantods. But the second one, and everyone thereafter, is just a horse with a horn and wings and now it's about the details: is the dsp fs-1? Etc.

We've all see the unicorns, and now we get to watch the evolution of the stutter/S&H/glitch (I'd add the 4046 here as well) genus and species in real-time. This will lead to more pedals- some great, some good, some Darwinian road kill. Bottom line is it's a good time to alive and stomping.
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby Seance » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:01 pm

fuzzisokiguess wrote:
Seance wrote:might also lead to more homogeneity as the sonic koalas and duckbill platypuses of micro-climates are overrun by Rats and swaddled in the smallpox blankets of Tubescreamer variants.

We shall see.

Late entry for '17 MLP (Most Loquatuous Post)

I've also been accused of receiving the MVP every year for the Most Verbose Post.
As well as the MPP (Most Pedantic Post) and the MPPP (Most Post-Post Post).
;)

Paul_C wrote:
Seance wrote:sonic koalas

Next band name sorted.

:thumb:
Slow-rolling and chewing leaf since 2017... it's the Sonic Koalas.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Pladask wrote:Looking forward to more details on this thing! The set of available effects is very impressive considering there is no program selection (dynamic morphing between different effects) apart from those toggle switches, but the way I see them they are more like sub-functions (?) Also looks like they've moved away from the Spin FV-1 platform for this seeing the set of parameters and the increased delay buffer length.

*smily eating popcorn* (I'm lazy)

The pitch shift definitely sounds like the same FV-1 style we're used to.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Aquietcabin1978 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:17 pm

Looks very cool and may have reignited my GAS for pedals in general. Went from having two Judders, two CT5's , a possessed, etc to basically just an a RV2 and a GL100. Might be a good time to start rebuilding my pedalboard.
jwar wrote:I'd tell both you guys to eat a dick, but it's against the vibe of the thread. Dicks are meat right? ;) haha

Invisible Man wrote:All roads lead to butt stuff.
Aquietcabin1978

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:43 pm

Seance wrote:I've also been accused of receiving the MVP every year for the Most Verbose Post.
;):

Haha! Meant no offense (so much so that I misspelled the word loquacious ;)), and I look forward to you getting a tensor (and every other new glitch/stutter pedal out there) and making more stop action vids! :thumbs up: ; :cloud sharting rainbows:
DRodriguez wrote:Imma build a disc delay based on a stationary bike, the faster you pedal, the faster the delay.

Bike backwards and you get a reverse delay.
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby Seance » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:42 pm

fuzzisokiguess wrote:
Seance wrote:I've also been accused of receiving the MVP every year for the Most Verbose Post.
;):

Haha! Meant no offense (so much so that I misspelled the word loquacious ;)), and I look forward to you getting a tensor (and every other new glitch/stutter pedal out there) and making more stop action vids! :thumbs up: ; :cloud sharting rainbows:

No offense taken.

I too would love for me to get a tensor and every other new glitch/stutter pedal out there for more stop-action visuals.
It's super fun to improvise visuals to improvised sounds. And glitch/stutter pedals are so rich and evocative for that kind of thing.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Patience now. New preorder ship date is 1/25.

I apologize that we are not going to meet the January 5th estimated ship date for your Tensor preorder.

The pre-production Tensor circuit boards were noisier than I liked in certain situations. I decided to upgrade the ADC/DAC from a portable (low voltage) Codec to a higher-performance Codec with its own, separate power supply. The new Codec has 104 dB dynamic range, -95 dB ADC THD+N, -90 dB DAC THD+N, and up to +12 dB analog gain to handle everything from quiet guitars to synths. I decided it was better to be a few weeks late than have the first batch of Tensors be noisy.

We expedited the initial set of circuit boards, but unfortunately they will not arrive this week. All of the other components are here,

Here is the current schedule:
January 11: prototype circuit boards arrive for validation
January 22: production circuit boards arrive for preorders
January 25: preorders ship

Since we missed the shipping date, when we ship your Tensor we will also send you a coupon code for 15% off a future order from our web site. Valid for 2 years on any size order.

Finally, one thing we didn't show in the preview video is that the Tensor has a USB jack for firmware updates and USB MIDI. All of the knobs, switches, and jacks send and receive MIDI continuous controller messages.

Thank you for your patience and support
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:47 pm

> All of the knobs, switches, and jacks send and receive MIDI continuous controller messages.

An ILF pedal I can finally buy, and keep!
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:57 pm

Yeah the depth of possibilities with a USB midi controller are pretty ridiculous. It becomes less of a pedal and more of a workstation for faux tape manipulation and glitch.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Is the preorder still $299?
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:41 pm

The preorder started on black friday so with the sale they were ~$250. I don't know if they're back to regular price now.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear