Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Dark Barn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:21 pm

What!?? Ok that’s it, selling my Zvex Instant Junky now.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 pm

*Buys knurlies* Has m2.5 nuts in case. :facepalm:

I might have 100 knurlies to sell to someone hahahah
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby behndy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:34 am

oof. that sucks man.

so..... any 3u skiffs that have wood cheeks out there?

also, ignore anything remotely uncomplimentary i've said about the SCM. loooooooove her.

Euclidian Circles (yesssssss) and Kenton MIDI Thru (YESSSSSSSSSS) get here Wednesday supposedly, so can start recording bits out to sequence actual songs hopefully.

i have excitements.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 am

behndy wrote:so..... any 3u skiffs that have wood cheeks out there?

Pittsburgh Cell90, but I'm not sure they're for sale anymore and the power system/sliding nuts are a bit of a pain in the ass, at least with the early versions.
They do look nice and are quite sturdy though (and the power switch on the back is nice).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:09 am

hurm. yeah. those are hard to track down.

was looking at Erica Synths's. it looks niiiice. but pretty expensive. although they sell a lid for it so it's portable and can be patched and moved.

anyone tried to make wood ends for a Make Noise skiff?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Invisible Man » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 am

I don’t say this with snark, but why do people buy cases at all? With the exception of pelican-style travel cases I don’t get it. Power is easy, and otherwise you knock some wood cheeks into a frame. Made a couple for $12 plus a uZeus.

I feel like I missed something with regard to cases, and maybe they’re doing something I don’t understand.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby Inconuucl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:24 am

Invisible Man wrote:I don’t say this with snark, but why do people buy cases at all? With the exception of pelican-style travel cases I don’t get it. Power is easy, and otherwise you knock some wood cheeks into a frame. Made a couple for $12 plus a uZeus.

I feel like I missed something with regard to cases, and maybe they’re doing something I don’t understand.

Sturdiness? Integrated ins and outs? The intellijel case has audio ins and outs and midi on the back, which cleans up the front for other stuff. :idk:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Invisible Man » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:24 am

I guess, yeah.though I wouldn’t describe the front panel of most systems as ‘clean’ by any means! I think I’m just irked by the idea that people charge $3-800 for stained wood with rails and a PSU.

I
AM
CHEAP
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:27 am

I mean you're not wrong. Although for me I bought a busboard on the bottom that I could wire to the side of my case. All to save 4HP.

Those Intellijel cases are fucking ace looking though.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 am

jia. i mean, it's hard for me to decide if they're over priced. i SUCK at wood working especially and really just most diy build things in general. so for a few hundred for something with power and a reliably built case it's worth it. just to have something i know should be solid and i didn't fuck up something weird putting it together.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 am

Most good cases are not made of wood. And the power supply often represents a sizeable chunk of the price.
My Intellijel 7U for example is aluminum, portable while patched (bonus) looks really good. It also has an excellent power supply/busboard. Overall, worth the price.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Inconuucl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:28 am

Yeah, I'm super excited about them. Once pedge season is over I'll be all over one. :excellent:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dark Barn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Got the DLD in yesterday, love it. So easy to set up neat ping-pong weirdo time divisions and it’s so precise. Hold/looping is tight, reverse is cool. If it had a way to eq or modulate repeats it would be off the chain but ah well.

Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Dark Barn wrote:Got the DLD in yesterday, love it. So easy to set up neat ping-pong weirdo time divisions and it’s so precise. Hold/looping is tight, reverse is cool. If it had a way to eq or modulate repeats it would be off the chain but ah well.

That's what send/return is for? Though, I tend to have issues with the DLD feeding back pretty easily when using send/return. I do have the alt-firmware installed so I can change the send/return functionality, but I haven't really played with it that much. The alt-firmware is only worth installing if you want to change that. It just adds a program page to facilitate the change, but doesn't affect functionality otherwise, FYI.

Also, when you have a sec, I'm curious, do you notice that the DLD seems to run a little warm? Like mine is noticeably warmer than other modules. It does draw a decent amount of current, though.

Most euro power sources are surprisingly cheap... Personally, I think it's worth it to shell out the money for them. Cases, though, never sure why an empty case can cost like $300. The raw material cost doesn't seem like it should be THAT high.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby Dark Barn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:02 pm

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
Dark Barn wrote:Got the DLD in yesterday, love it. So easy to set up neat ping-pong weirdo time divisions and it’s so precise. Hold/looping is tight, reverse is cool. If it had a way to eq or modulate repeats it would be off the chain but ah well.

That's what send/return is for? Though, I tend to have issues with the DLD feeding back pretty easily when using send/return. I do have the alt-firmware installed so I can change the send/return functionality, but I haven't really played with it that much. The alt-firmware is only worth installing if you want to change that. It just adds a program page to facilitate the change, but doesn't affect functionality otherwise, FYI.

Also, when you have a sec, I'm curious, do you notice that the DLD seems to run a little warm? Like mine is noticeably warmer than other modules. It does draw a decent amount of current, though.

Most euro power sources are surprisingly cheap... Personally, I think it's worth it to shell out the money for them. Cases, though, never sure why an empty case can cost like $300. The raw material cost doesn't seem like it should be THAT high.

One of the first things I tried was running send/return through a filter, and it started feeding back like a motherfucker so I pulled the patches and decided I would read up later... lol. I didn't notice if it was warm, but I only had time for a short session with it. I will investigate the alt firmware (possibly already installed? I am not the first owner.)

Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear