Pretty Years

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

Re: Pretty Years

Postby mathias » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:42 pm

I know the subminiature tubes are part of the radness here, but I'm kind of wondering if JFETs could do the same job. A "Mini Years" perhaps that would be easier to build? I know SS/BS already has plenty of JFET drive options but thought about it a bit today. The multiple gain stages and the ability to place the filter inbetween / in multiple is really cool and unique. Just wish I could try one.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:27 pm

mathias wrote:I know the subminiature tubes are part of the radness here, but I'm kind of wondering if JFETs could do the same job. A "Mini Years" perhaps that would be easier to build? I know SS/BS already has plenty of JFET drive options but thought about it a bit today. The multiple gain stages and the ability to place the filter inbetween / in multiple is really cool and unique. Just wish I could try one.

It'd require some circuit changes. Plus, I imagine it'd sound quite different, too.
Looks like it uses Raytheon 5678 sub-mini tubes (which are pentodes), so MOSFETs would do better than JFETs, for one. Two, unless Bri opted to do it himself, I doubt anyone would bother/dare to trace the circuit.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eric! » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:34 pm

jrfox92 wrote:I doubt anyone would bother/dare to trace the circuit.

uhhh, yeah, HELL NO.
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mathias » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 pm

I want it from Brian, yeah. Just trying to think of how to make it easier to produce and possibly a bit lower cost. I'd imagine a "Mini Years" with FETs would still cost more than a Fuck or a TAFM.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby augur44 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:05 am

I sent him mine for similar mods few months ago.
Still waiting for mine...
augur44

involved
involved

Postby Eric! » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:46 pm

augur44 wrote:
NSFW: show

I sent him mine for similar mods few months ago.
Still waiting for mine...

I did it myself. Just a normally-open switch to each side of the FM toggle. Not the most elegant solution but it definitely works. Gonna put some Barefoot Buttons on the two softies.
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby augur44 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 am

I did it myself. Just a normally-open switch to each side of the FM toggle. Not the most elegant solution but it definitely works. Gonna put some Barefoot Buttons on the two softies.

I sent Brian mine to fix a ringing problem and add 2 switches :
- left : activate clipping
- right : activate filter section
augur44

involved
involved

Postby Eric! » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:09 pm

augur44 wrote:

I sent Brian mine to fix a ringing problem and add 2 switches :
- left : activate clipping
- right : activate filter section

That is a bit more involved than mine. And modding is kindof a huge headache from a manufacturer's standpoint. It's amazing Bri does all he does and is all about modding stuff.

Barefoot Buttons or rubber caps are what I'm going to try to get around the ringing.
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby resincum » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:24 am

how are you guys dealing with the hum? it tends to go away when you play, but some settings it's just there. I typically leave it without the feedback options engaged to avoid it as much as possible, but at our last show it was insanely loud. I've had 2 now and they've both been like this. I have it on an isolated port on a pp2+ fwiw. sounds fucking AMAZING but the hum is driving me nuts.. actually considering a noise gate :facepalm:

no one seems to mention this either so maybe the power is fucked everywhere around here ??? :?: :?: :?: :?:
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Inconuucl » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:31 pm

resincum wrote:how are you guys dealing with the hum? it tends to go away when you play, but some settings it's just there. I typically leave it without the feedback options engaged to avoid it as much as possible, but at our last show it was insanely loud. I've had 2 now and they've both been like this. I have it on an isolated port on a pp2+ fwiw. sounds fucking AMAZING but the hum is driving me nuts.. actually considering a noise gate :facepalm:

no one seems to mention this either so maybe the power is fucked everywhere around here ??? :?: :?: :?: :?:

I sometimes have post liftoff hum and never managed to find the source, I guess it's the pedal's own whim combined with what stuff you place before it. It's a bummer too since it interfers a lot with how I play. :cry:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby rustywire » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:21 pm

I haven't experienced any such hum...exclusively using Cioks AC10 200mA iso tap or a Dunlop 200mA wall wart as psu.
Also I am ocd-tier conscientious of keeping PY away from wall warts, amps and other pedals with transformers or inductors inside... :idk:

Edit: When you have the hum, try to eliminate variables/recreate it [obv not in the middle of a set heh]
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby resincum » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:37 pm

the hum is basically -always- there. sometimes more pronounced, depending on settings. I usually have to dial back either the gain/treble/bass. first in my chain as well. I'm going to try powering it with a 1 spot by itself. guess I'll send it to brian if I can't get rid of it since it doesn't seem to be a feature of this pedal :P humless pretty years gets me all kinds of gooey :drool:
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby cantremember » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:58 pm

I had a similar issue with my PY humming with a voodoo labs pp2 but I have switched over to a strymon power supply and I haven't really noticed it since. It does however have a faint ringing the first time it's powered on but that goes away after turning it off and on again a few times.
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:00 am

I typically run off of a Cioks DC5 (and split the power with a Tonal Recall) and have no hum. On the other hand, my unit seems to have a lot of ringing anytime I flip one of the switches. It typically goes away in a few seconds, though.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby resincum » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 am

thanks buddies, awesome to know. I'm going to experiment with some different supplies at practice today. mine rings when I stomp the switch as well, but I kind of like it ;)
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to smallsound/bigsound