Be(a)st Records of the year thread, 2017 (version)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Be(a)st Records of the year thread, 2017 (version)

Postby retinal orbita » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 pm

I saw Primitive Man the other night and wow did they fucking crush it. Picked up "Caustic" and wow, what a fucking banger. I don't want to sound like a wise-ass, but I'm legit shocked Relapse is capable of releasing something this good/heavy in 2017.

Bell Witch were tight as fuck too. But it's weird to watch them because it's such a drawn out process. I dig them live, but I definitely prefer the records as an "experience". The record is so good. It's just like, when do I have 83 minutes to really soak it in? I listened to the first half on my way to work one day last week and I was in the hella shittiest mood all day. Like it's pretty rare that I can let music impact my mood like that. Like I listen to heavy bleak shit all the time and I'm always rocking a motherfucking PMA.

Also dude from Bell Witch has the most complicated fucking pedal board I've seen in a hot minute. It's so many switchers and routers it's legit over my head.

The new Monolord is pretty boring. I've played it a half dozen times, and honestly I think they have great "tone" or whatever but every song is the fucking same. HEAVY RIFF, then it gets quiet when the vocals kick in then WHOA HEAVY RIFF AGAIN repeat for EVERY SONG but nothing sticks. It's not memorable. I could hear record one, two or three and I feel like I've listened to them a fair bit and I couldn't tell one apart from the other. They're a band I "like" in theory but I feel like I never need to hear them again. The cover is cool as fuck or whatever though and they seem like legit cool people.

The Intensive Care MLP on Anthems of the Undesirable is fucking great. Hitting near a sort of mid period Godflesh sound I really dig. I'm into it. Great live too.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Yeah primitive Man rules hard.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GardenoftheDead » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Primitive Man's newest album is awesome. Also, my cats like it which is weird.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Lurker13 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:47 pm

I'm still working my way through the music in this thread, but there is some awesome music in here, especially that Colour Haze album. :snax:

I don't know how beastial it is, but my best pick for 2017 is Electric Moon's new album Stardust Rituals...you could say I'm over the Moon about it. :!!!:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Mid period godflesh, I can jive with that. Will check out monolord.
Bell witch is doing nothing for me though.
Primitive man: yes please!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:51 am

Have been coming back to this one a lot. I still think my favorite Growing LP is always going to be Sky's Run into The Sea but this is a first-rate drone LP that has exactly zero metal in it.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cantremember » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:44 am

retinal orbita wrote:The Intensive Care MLP on Anthems of the Undesirable is fucking great. Hitting near a sort of mid period Godflesh sound I really dig. I'm into it. Great live too.

This band rules and so does that record. They have a new 7 coming out on iron lung sometime soon I believe. Really nice guys as well.
Last edited by cantremember on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:55 pm

retinal orbita wrote:I saw Primitive Man the other night and wow did they fucking crush it. Picked up "Caustic" and wow, what a fucking banger.
The Intensive Care MLP on Anthems of the Undesirable is fucking great. Hitting near a sort of mid period Godflesh sound I really dig. I'm into it. Great live too.

Echo'ing. 'Caustic' is going to be up there for 'best of the year' for me. I turned my friend onto GRIEF a few months ago and texted her around the time Pope posted about PM. I listened then texted her "You gotta check this out".

INTENSIVE CARE - I thought the songs sounded familiar. They put out an EP/Demo thing last year and I remember I listened to that when it came out. Very satisfying, I like that type of music a lot.

I really don't like THE BUG/EARTH collab. Sorry guys. Although I have been listening to some of Kevin Martin's dub compilations if that somewhat redeems me.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:59 pm

It's OK I love you anyway.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Love you too bro!!!
Incidentally PM is playing at St. Vitus tomorrow night. If I didn't have to go to the city twice this week (for work) I probably would have made the trek. I'm listening to 'Caustic' again tonight though.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Yeah they just played my hometown a couple of days ago. I'm hoping they make it to Europe over the summer.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby foomanfat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Really enjoying this new Converge record.
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:37 pm

PRIMITIVE MAN played like 25 mins from my house last night. I was at my company's anniversary party all evening. :cry:
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:57 pm

$harkToootth wrote:PRIMITIVE MAN played like 25 mins from my house last night. I was at my company's anniversary party all evening. :cry:

So far 10 years with my company I have NEVER gone to a company party or function :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:26 pm

'Envy' would be an understatement for how I feel about that. I envy you.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music