RECOMMEND TEH GAAAAAZE

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: RECOMMEND TEH GAAAAAZE

Postby futuresailors » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Achtane wrote:Red Sea is the best Asobi Seksu song.
REAL TALK SON

3rd. I still like Sooner and Mizu Asobi more.
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:39 pm

jrmy wrote:
Also, has anyone heard the new Ringo Deathstarr, "Colour Trip?" It's pretty damn awesome. Srsly.

I believe that I owe PP a tip o' the hat for turning me on to them in the first place.

Six years later, I also discovered this album (as well as Pure Mood and God's Dream) and am quite smitten with it.

Airiel's latest offering has also been on frequent rotation in addition to the Slowdive's self-titled comeback album.

I've been an avid shoegaze fan since the late 90s and am listening to the genre 90% of the time as of late.

Gazey (and related subgenre) bands worth mentioning (that may have already been referenced): All About Eve (later material only), An April March, Siddal, Love Spirals Downwards, Beach House, Cranes, The Curtain Society, No Joy, Autumn's Grey Solace, Bleeding Rainbow, Porcelain Raft, Young Prisms, Sway, Rose Chronicles, Mistle Thrush, The Daysleepers, Alcest (latest album only), Blouse, The Engineers, Fonda, The High Violets, Lush, The Charmparticles, Magneto, Malory, Pluramon, The Raveonettes, Still Corners, Soundpool, The Stargazer Lilies, Film School, Craft Spells, Les Discrets, Tamaryn, Tears Run Rings, The Depreciation Guild, Hammock, Tycho, The Northern Territories, Trailer Trash Tracys, Vaura, Whirr, and assorted, later material by Mephisto Walz and This Ascension.

[edit:] Also, True Widow may appeal to many ILFers, as they combine doom and shoegaze (or whatever subgenre bands like Low are filed under - with more of the latter for the most part).
Last edited by ck3 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:40 am, edited 9 times in total.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:04 pm

retinal orbita wrote:Sorry bro, I guess that was pretty inappropriate of me.......

Per usual our tastes seem to align. I love all music but whenever 'Shoegaze' comes up I'm kind of like "Oh great here we go with this again"

THAT SAID...I love these two albums...

The more well known: Jesus and Mary Chain - Psycho Candy > Noisy as fuck yet poppy album that everybody loves.
The less well known: Belong - Common Era > A very densely layered wall of sound shoegaze album that borrows more from post-punk and goth structures than shoegaze. Still very noisy and very poppy. I love this album!

I like the band WEED a lot but I wouldn't categorize them as 'Shoegaze' but their is some sort of 'gaze' in their DNA. Honestly 'sentimental-dream-grunge-gaze' is a perfect tag for them (not mine, some music critics.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chrisdermo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:59 am

$harkToootth wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:Sorry bro, I guess that was pretty inappropriate of me.......

Per usual our tastes seem to align. I love all music but whenever 'Shoegaze' comes up I'm kind of like "Oh great here we go with this again"

Same. BUT whenever I see a shoegaze thread I feel compelled to come in to mention 2 bands:

Ifwhen - The 'we will gently destroy you' album is an absolutely mind bender of polyrhythmic swirls which to me acts as a perfect development of my favourite sounding MBV tracks (touched, to here knows when, blown a wish, etc). Totally underrated and underappreciated, maybe just too awkward for most. Plus the drum machine sounds SUCK but I can get past that.

Seefeel - 'Quique' contains shoegaze and ambient textures that seem to have become very popular with the synth crowd these days. Definitely a product of pushing the budget studio equipment of the time to the limit.
'Seefeel' (2011 album) is a mind-blower for me, taking the idea of tons of fx on everything and bending the guitar, bass, vox and drums into territories so far beyond their normal scope you wouldn't even know they were those instruments unless you were told. Definitely not stereotypical 'shoegaze' and definitely NOT pop.
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:42 pm

$harkToootth wrote:

THAT SAID...I love these two albums...

The more well known: Jesus and Mary Chain - Psycho Candy > Noisy as fuck yet poppy album that everybody loves.
The less well known: Belong - Common Era > A very densely layered wall of sound shoegaze album that borrows more from post-punk and goth structures than shoegaze. Still very noisy and very poppy. I love this album!

I like the band WEED a lot but I wouldn't categorize them as 'Shoegaze' but their is some sort of 'gaze' in their DNA. Honestly 'sentimental-dream-grunge-gaze' is a perfect tag for them (not mine, some music critics.

You ever listen to Trunk Weed? They seem to also perfectly match that description and I really dig it. Almost in like a guilty pleasure way but it all just works right for me.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Wow, thanks for the recs guys!

This evening I will check out:
1. Ifwhen - @dermo, most of my favorite albums have sucky drum machine sounds. So that's a plus for me!
2. Seefeel (I'm noticing a naming pattern here)
3. Trunk Weed

I've been listening to a lot of power pop lately. I love those hooks and that structure but I'm always looking for something where the timbres are more "dense".
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ummohyeah » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Deafcult from Australia just put out a new record and it's really, really good... Sorry if it's been posted before:

https://deafcultbrisbane.bandcamp.com/album/auras
ummohyeah

committed
committed

Postby O Drones » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:16 am

Flyying Colours and Blush Response also both from Australia are also great.
O Drones

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:58 am

^ Also, this dude's band.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby futuresailors » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Damn...

Well, since it's back, Pia Fraus' Wonder What it's Like is still the tits for dreampopy stuff.

smile_man wrote:

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:11 pm

You know I thought about it and it turns out...I do like Shoegaze...Hmm...This is new for me.
How can I possibly tell my parents!!!
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby futuresailors » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:12 pm

It's a bit like telling them you rollerblade.

smile_man wrote:

fuck you.

futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:13 pm

futuresailors wrote:It's a bit like telling them you rollerblade.

Oh good. I Rollerblade and we already had that talk. Smooth sailing from here!
Thank you Sir!
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby O Drones » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Eivind August wrote:^ Also, this dude's band.

:!!!: :love: :!!!:
O Drones

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ummohyeah » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:59 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:Belong - Common Era.

This album rules. I agree it has more in line with darkwave type stuff than shoegaze. You might like Foxes In Fiction. They're not exactly shoegaze, they have a lot more in common with say Beach House and at times Panda Bear, but is definitely more lo-fi pop than anything -- absolutely stunning, sometimes (they also help run the Tape Orchid label, specializing in lo-fi/cassettes/vinyl).

Also, you might like this track off of Documenta's album Drone Pop #1 they put out two years ago:

I guess I should probably start a lo-fi thread for this sort of stuff, if there's not one already.

Anyways don't wanna muck up this thread anymore than I have, but I originally came here to post this: http://lazylegs.bandcamp.com/track/bed-head

Lazy Legs just put out this track and while it sounds similar to their other stuff, they're definitely taking more and more cues from MBV and Swirlies. I love it, those textures.
ummohyeah

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to Music