New amp advice

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: New amp advice

Postby Bearstripes » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:12 am

It’s funny, I started with the intent of getting some low wattage home fun and now I think I’m geting a twin. I have made an offer on basically every twin/deluxe Reverb/ac30 on Philly and south jersey Craigslist and
Basically whatever one gets back to me first gonna do. The most likely will be a twin because they are the most affordable.

How do we feel about the 68 reissue where the normal channel is a bassman of sorts?
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby Bearstripes » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:12 am

It’s funny, I started with the intent of getting some low wattage home fun and now I think I’m geting a twin. I have made an offer on basically every twin/deluxe Reverb/ac30 on Philly and south jersey Craigslist and
Basically whatever one gets back to me first gonna do. The most likely will be a twin because they are the most affordable.

How do we feel about the 68 reissue where the normal channel is a bassman of sorts?
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby popvulture » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:18 am

I feel like those reissues sound good, but of course the machinery under the hood is much more complicated and has more potential to go wrong. I'd buy vintage if you can—I remember seeing the inside of a blackface twin reissue at my local shop and it looked like a computer inside. :idk:
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bearstripes » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 am

My fear with vintage is while in the long run it can be more reliable but they can also come with a bribe more problems and that freaks me out as well. I guess it’s a crapshoot either way
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:28 am

There's not really much to go wrong with Twins, I mean tubes and the regular items, and then they have the "Roach" for vibrato, but you can buy replacement Vactrols for Fender amps from a ton of places, so that's not really a worry. And once again I agree with popvulture, the reissues sound great, but the PCB design makes them impossible to work on or even know what's going on. They got cheaper transformers as well and some of the magic is just lost. I know a lot of guys lately have been buying the reissues and putting turret boards and USA made transformers from Classictone or Mercury into the chassis and speaker box leftover. That seems like a waste to me when you can score the real thing from the late 60's early 70's cheaper than a reissue!

Have fun :)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Muff_Diver » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:07 pm

I think its worth spending 400-500 on a silver face then 200 at the tech to make it fully operational and indestructible. I recommend rootbeer audio in fishtown. He fixed up my twin quite nicely and quickly, great dude.

They say the reissues are the same circuitry as the vintage ones, but they sure dont sound like it.

To throw another hat in the ring, this may be just what youre looking for-https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/d/1980-carvin-xv112e-combo/6341416507.html Loud, portable, tube, power scaling, people here seem to rave about the x100b. The guy has it listed for 425 on philly gear swap, so you could probably grab it for 400 or so.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Christophe » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:44 am

Just for the sake of discussing gear, since it sounds like a done deal here, I'd say that it's the same old question about finding an amp that pairs well with your guitar.
Silverface amps are great for some players, for me it just never worked out. Everything sounded too thin, too bright, it lacked dynamics, even with treble at 4, even with various overdrives, even pushing the volume to 4 or 5, etc.. The strat and the wide range Tele sounded so sad with it. I had one again on tour a few years ago, and when we decided to rent a blackface instead, the sound was back for me, everything went smooth and simple.
Fender amps have a reputation for being great do-it-all amps (as opposed to other brands that focus on a specific genre of music), but actually not all Fenders are like that. For me, the silverface twin is very very specific, it is not what I would call versatile. And you have to find the right pedals to go with it. But of course if you love that sound, you wont find a better option.
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Bearstripes » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 am

Change of plans lol. I went to a local guitar shop to look at amps and boom, there it is... my old guitar. So now I’m selling thep cause need that thing back! So new amps gonna have to wait til next year.

Guitar is only gonna run me a few bucks so
I’m still gonna try and get an amp (on the super cheap) or score some fun pedal.

Shits in the bst!

Also thanks for all the advice cause like twins n shit
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby waltdogg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:46 pm

what was your old guitar?
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:38 pm

I've only ever sold one guitar, and it was a "Black Beauty" epi-LP I sold to my best friend, he still has it. :thumb:

I worked at guitar center for like 3 years so I ended up getting a ton of guitars. I'll never sell them, I know I'd just be trying to buy them again.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bearstripes » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:41 pm

It’s an old epiphone dot from the 90s. Had it ten plus years, it was my first decent guitar. Sold it to find some things a year back and regretted it ever since. Walked into my buddies guitar store and there it was. Picked it up and was totatlly screwed. Official, need it back.
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby Bearstripes » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Yea I’ve sold a ton of guitars. Some cool rare vintage shit as well, but this one is the first real regret. And the opportunity to snag it back is a no brained.
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby waltdogg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:08 pm

i see.

i've had so many guitars and basses it's not even funny. there's not really any guitars that i don't have anymore that i want again except for maybe a dan armstrong. there's a whole mess of different precision basses i've had and want again which really sucks. like really sucks.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Gear