EGC Bolt-on Neck Projects

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: EGC Bolt-on Neck Projects

Postby antennafarm » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:35 am

This is where my neck is at the moment: http://imgur.com/Z5U5zRk

And the final body is getting finished (white): http://imgur.com/a/PGbmk

Opted for a swimming pool route but for starters, a Lace Aluma 90 is going in.
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby Olin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:13 pm

That's a cool and weird body shape. Kind of like if Millimetric had to make a metal (music, not just an Obstructures lol) guitar.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby antennafarm » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:36 am

Yeah! Millimetric was one of the inspirations, both their regular shape and baritone. It kind of finalized like a robot Strat. I'm hoping that putting the strap button on that upper horn will help offset some of the weight of the neck -- on that tele (which is actually a no f-hole thinline), it's absurdly unbalanced).

Got a nice plank of white limba and it'll be finished in a satiny white (acrylic lacquer).

Very excited!
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby megamaeng » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:19 pm

Has anyone had to widen their neck pocket and pickguard to accommodate a too wide ecg bolt on? I just got my 24" rounded neck in and it's a bit wide. The jag body and pickguard I got came from separate places and they mate perfectly so I think they follow the same standard specs. I'd hate to go through the trouble of widening the neck pocket (and risk messing it up) and then find that it doesn't work out well with a standard fender neck (if i decide to swap) because I widened everything.
megamaeng

committed
committed

Postby megamaeng » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:11 pm

ok, well i just took some sandpaper to the neck pocket. It was actually just a fraction of a mm that I had to take off before I could jam it in there. The only issue now is that the supplied screws are too short haha. oh well

the neck is super heavy but I think the shorter scale of the jag makes it a bit more manageable. I think all the hardware once fitted will counterweight it and I might have some space in the trem cavity to put some bb's in there as extra counterweight.
megamaeng

committed
committed

Postby codetocontra » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:13 pm

It does not seem unusual for assembled guitars to need some work to get them together properly. Kevin sent two sets of bolts with mine, did you not get those? If you hit up a hardware store and take the shorter ones you have you should be able to find some of that are the same threading but just a bit longer.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby megamaeng » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:21 pm

just the 1 set but it's all good. Kevin got back to me with the size and thread. 8-32 for future reference. He sent in 1=1/4 and i needed 1.5.

Time to get this bad boy put together and counterweighted somehow :)
megamaeng

committed
committed

Postby gnomethrone » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:03 pm

antennafarm wrote:This is where my neck is at the moment: http://imgur.com/Z5U5zRk

And the final body is getting finished (white): http://imgur.com/a/PGbmk

Opted for a swimming pool route but for starters, a Lace Aluma 90 is going in.

ay sell me that tele body when you've moved on to your retrofuturist space strat
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby antennafarm » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:26 am

gnomethrone wrote:ay sell me that tele body when you've moved on to your retrofuturist space strat

dunno man that body rules!! I got it from ToneBomb... it's a no f-hole thinline. pine with a poplar top. hipshot string-through bridge.... light as fuck and RIPS with that neck and pickup (dimazrio h2n?). hilariously off-balance (i think the neck weighs more than the body), will probably put a warmoth neck on it when the neck gets transplanted but WHO KNOOOOWS.
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby gnomethrone » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:00 am

Oh that's super sick. I just liked the look of it and want to put together a tele with humbuckers but yeah, hold on to that beast. That new custom body design you got coming is gnarly too man.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby antennafarm » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:04 pm

gnomethrone wrote:Oh that's super sick. I just liked the look of it and want to put together a tele with humbuckers but yeah, hold on to that beast. That new custom body design you got coming is gnarly too man.

thanks! i figured why not do something special with that neck, y'know? hopefully it balances out enough that my elbow doesn't get -itisy (which it does after a while on that thinline body). credit goes to my buddy the luthier and the inspiration (millimetrics in particular)

i'll probably get a nice, light neck for the thinline when i get that custom back (it's being finished right now.... freakin michigan humidity is making that a slow process!).

http://stores.ebay.com/ToneBomb is where I got that thinline body but I talked with them directly instead of getting one they had in stock. The pine/poplar/thinline combo is perfect for bright pickups. the x2n is super high gain so it's a bit wild BUT it's a heck of a guitar.
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby Olin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Well, 10 months later, after initially refunding me with no other information, they sent me a neck. The nice first: It's well-made, arrived very quickly. That's it.
The not-so-nice: sent via wrong shipper after I explicitly asked for USPS so I don't get the $140 handling fees, was invoiced for and paid for a 21 fret neck, was sent a 22, so it does not fit my body without re-drilling the holes for the mounting screws which I really don't want to do.

I'm pretty bitter about the whole experience and am a bit sick of the "don't you dare complain about EGC on the internet lest the circlejerk turns on you" attitude I get to any complaints. I think there's a fair reason to complain when they took 10 months (8 and a half longer than they said), absolutely refuse to communicate with me at any point after paying and then sent me an incorrect neck.

I've played a few of their full guitars, and I have nothing bad to say, they're great, unique instruments which are made very well, it's why I wanted to try one of these out. I will not be buying anything new from them, and I have a sneaking suspicion that they still think I am just an annoying customer.

Am I a giant crybaby? Maybe. Am I allowed to have a whinge on the internet? Yes, that's what it's for. Hope everyone else is getting along fine with mine, they seem to be much better with the 25.5 inch necks at least.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby karmablock » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Sorry to hear that. I honestly don't know how EGC stay in business (yeah I do, selling to rockstars). It amazes me how average people can buy more than one EGC while I couldn't even get an email back from them. I'm glad there are more companies making aluminum necks but unfortunately they don't have the out put of EGC. Are you going to keep the neck or what?
karmablock

experienced
experienced

Postby Olin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:26 am

I've put it on a Mustang I had lying around and will mess around with it for a while, but I have a feeling the totally flat radius could be a bit uncomfortable for me. I also wonder if my bitterness will taint my opinion of it, and then selling it and picking up an Obstructures is the answer. Hands down the worst customer service I've ever had though, below UPS,Fedex, fucking Rogers at least responded to my emails and gave me the service I asked for.

Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cantremember » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:02 am

Did he at least cut you a deal on the neck?
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects