New amp advice

Moderator: Ghost Hip

New amp advice

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:44 am

So I got an orange OR15 and 2x12 cab for a steal on cl. Mainly bought it for the cab and the head was a bonus. I’ve had it for like 6 months now and while i love the thick nasty saggy drive it’s something I never use. My main amp is a traynor bassmasyer. Mostly buss now pedals for any grit. That being said I wanna Ditch the head for a tube combo. Something smaller that is easily transportable, pedal friendly, and hopefully can get loud.

I’m mostly looking at deluxes, ac15/30, this fender concert that’s on cL. Also considering a twin cause they are every where.

I know ac30 and twins don’t really fit what I’m looking for but they are always there and like why not.

Mostly looking for opinions and suggestions.

Will also put a for trade up in the bst so if you have anything pm me!
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Re: New amp advice

Postby popvulture » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:44 am

Fwiw AC30s are heavy as hell. Definitely also loud as hell, though. A Twin would be a little lighter most likely, but not by much... I'd say the problem you'd run into with that would be that they're not super dirt friendly due to the high headroom, can sound glassy. There are ways around that, though...

One that's a little slept on would be the Pro Reverb, same form factor as a Twin but lower watts and therefore a little friendlier in terms of breakup. Could probably find a silverface for a good price, since they're not as popular.
Last edited by popvulture on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:47 am

AC30s and Twins are both about 75lbs

Loud
Clean
Light

You can only pick two
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Muff_Diver » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:58 am

popvulture wrote:One that's a little slept on would be the Pro Reverb, same form factor as a Twin but lower watts and therefore a little friendlier in terms of breakup. Could probably find a silverface for a good price, since they're a little slept on.

I think the secret has been out on them since the old heads stopped being about to lift their twins. In philly, the cost of a silverface amp increases the smaller you go. Twins can be had for 4-500, but a Princeton will easily run you 1k. I havent seen an sf pro for less than 900.

Repoman is dead on.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:10 am

That’s why I’m considering twins. I’m in the philly area and there is constantly and abundance of silver face twins on cL and mad afforadable prices.

On the other hand, anyone have opinions on the smaller stuff. While I know an ac15 or deluxe prob won’t keep up with a band I am still considering them just for the fact that I already have my big boy setup. I nfell like with the traynor a twin may be redundant. Ac30 would be a bit of a different flavor so that would be cool. But again am def curious bout the little things too!
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby popvulture » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:24 am

Yeah, Muff Diver's right about the prices—I didn't realize they'd gone up quite a bit. Looks like Pro Reverbs start at around 800 :idk:

For small/loud, Mesas definitely come to mind. Also if you ever see a Sundown Arist, buyyyyyy it.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:39 am

popvulture wrote:Yeah, Muff Diver's right about the prices—I didn't realize they'd gone up quite a bit. Looks like Pro Reverbs start at around 800 :idk:

For small/loud, Mesas definitely come to mind. Also if you ever see a Sundown Arist, buyyyyyy it.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/msg/ ... 84121.html

This one?
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby murch33 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:48 am

What about something "boring" like a Classic 30? Cheap, portable, pedal friendly. It's been a while snce I owned one so I don't remember the volume, but it's a 30 watt tube amp so...
murch33

interested
interested

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:20 pm

I tried a classic 30 before and was not into it. But that was along time ago so I may have to look into them again
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby waltdogg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:22 pm

check out the somewhat new and fairly cheap vox ac10. i love that little fuggin' thing. all tube, light, takes pedals well, has built in reverb. and they come in cool colors too.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:34 pm

I gotta check one of them out. My homeboi tells me to stay away from vox but I had an ac 4 back in the day and loved it. Never really pushed it to much and it sounded great with pedals. Love the chimey jangley sound they have. That’s why I’m looking at the ac30 cause it would probably have enough headroom. However Jane born totatlly ruled ou the 15 and will look into the 10
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby popvulture » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Bearstripes wrote:
popvulture wrote:Yeah, Muff Diver's right about the prices—I didn't realize they'd gone up quite a bit. Looks like Pro Reverbs start at around 800 :idk:

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/msg/ ... 84121.html

This one?

Yes. I played one of those recently and was shocked at how amazing it sounded/how goddamn loud it was for the size. And 400 bucks? It's a lotta amp for the price.

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blakestree » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Bearstripes wrote:I gotta check one of them out. My homeboi tells me to stay away from vox but I had an ac 4 back in the day and loved it. Never really pushed it to much and it sounded great with pedals. Love the chimey jangley sound they have. That’s why I’m looking at the ac30 cause it would probably have enough headroom. However Jane born totatlly ruled ou the 15 and will look into the 10

I had an AC4C1-12 and experienced the same thing as you, though I did punish mine from time to time. That little guy is what got me into Vox style amps. When it feels right, you know it. Don't let anyone convince you different.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Did the ac 4 take pedals better than your 15? Like I really want something that Is mostly clean with just a hint nod grit and I love the way the vox sounds for that. I am just not nature if a fifteen has that same vibe as the 4. Also I’m like 90% sure the 15 wontcut it in a band but that’s not that big of a deal
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby Muff_Diver » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Bearstripes wrote:Did the ac 4 take pedals better than your 15? Like I really want something that Is mostly clean with just a hint nod grit and I love the way the vox sounds for that. I am just not nature if a fifteen has that same vibe as the 4. Also I’m like 90% sure the 15 wontcut it in a band but that’s not that big of a deal

AC4 is cool for bedroom and has a switch for .5, 1, and 4 watts, so where it gets dirty varies, but on 4, id say youre clean about half way up the dial. A 15 will def not cut it in any band that isnt "chill".

you should just get this bad boy https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/d/fender-ultimate-chorus/6340487930.html
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to General Gear