The Doom Room: ILF Edition

Re: The Doom Room: ILF Edition

Postby samzadgan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:36 pm

Iommic Pope wrote:Yeah man thats basically where im at.
Plus, take the pice of what youre looking at and basically double it for the Australian market and you can fuckig forget about it.

jr: yeah im looking at rhe orange one, which segues into my next point to trey; Apeing Bongzilla since DoS recommended it as an exercise in self improvement and playing Holy Mountain era 4:20 blues dad Sabb licks is all i do. When did this become problematic?

you could probably get a second-hand orange for a cheaper price ;)

as for rehashing vs innovating...i think there's a place for both. The rehashing bands will always be around, and there's definitely a time that i like them, but I liken it to a cup of espresso...the rehashing bands are the coffee, and what rises to the top (the crema) are the innovators who are pushing things forward. Actually that's a bad analogy, but you get what i mean...

In either case its not easy...a re-hashing band, to some degree has to work really hard to recreate and not sound the same. So, for example Orchid, is basically a Best of Black Sabbath tribute band...but they are different enough...and I dont think that difference was easy to establish.

finally we have to remember, and have some level of faith, that the music that bands write is a reflection of their artistry rather than a ploy to get famous of money...so with that in mind, if they sound kinda the same as another band, then in the first instance we put it down to that sound being them.

Edit: in the end i talk a lot of shit and half way through i forget what im try to say...so...yeah...there's that too...
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby christianatl » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:49 pm

Again, fame and money don't really exist in the rock game until you're huge. And that's literally like less than 20 bands worldwide.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whores/108004672554176
http://whores.bandcamp.com
http://whores.bigcartel.com

WTB: Chase Bliss Tonal Recall, Keeley 30ms Delay, cool fuzzes and hand-painted stuff.
christianatl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby samzadgan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:52 pm

christianatl wrote:Again, fame and money don't really exist in the rock game until you're huge. And that's literally like less than 20 bands worldwide.

fame and money in the context of our corner of music industry...

samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:18 am

btw...anyone hears this new pedal from Way Huge???

samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:03 am

christianatl wrote:Again, fame and money don't really exist in the rock game until you're huge. And that's literally like less than 20 bands worldwide.

Correct. Neurosis all have day jobs, etc. And I think most of us will take being comfortable over being The Rolling Stones 40 years after they were relevant (that might be projection here).

I'm just really burnt out on Drug Reference -- the hot new band with the killer back patch that sounds just like the other hot new band with the killer back patch. And obviously that's something to do with following the genre, but, damn I want to hear another band that sounds like Teeth of the Sea making waves, you know? Something totally fucking left field.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby conky » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:11 am

D.o.S. wrote:
christianatl wrote:
t-rey wrote:
Nope, you're not. Seems like 'our' underground has been the trendy one for a few years now, so there has been more temptation for bands to appeal to the current crowd and/or avoid stepping too far away from the formula. Not that I dislike a lot of the music, but being able to see it become influenced by what is popular is more than a little disheartening. Also generates a shitload of garbage bands that are trying to cash in on the popularity and makes it hard to find good new music. I'll admit that the last point may be completely made of bullshit and entirely because I've not got the same amount of time to listen to new music as I used to...but whatever...old curmudgeon mode ENGAGE.

Cash in. LOL. Not possible man.

Cash in doesn't have to be about money, obviously. I'm sure there are loads of dudes in doom bands who, if they were 10-15 years older, would have been in third wave ska bands, too.

We are going to record some more stuff next week and have trumpets on one song.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:13 am

http://thehardtimes.net/news/innovative-stoner-metal-album-blends-influences-black-sabbath-black-sabbath/

Not a huge fan of thehardtimes but this was relevant. I do think the re-hash bands have their place but I definitely get extremely bored of what exactly DOS is talking about. It's like when they started coining it as vest metal. Pretty much every dude with a jean jacket with a sick backpatch. I don't even smonk the devils lettuce but even wearing my jackets with bongripper patches from like 6 years ago, no longer feels as interesting to wear ironically because most people do the same anyway.

Oh and regarding Orchid. I never would've found that band if it wasn't that I was looking to listen to dance tonight, revolution tomorrow! and saw that album and thought it was some new album or something I hadnt heard of. I was sorely disappointed at it. different strokes for different folks but man, it was like the most boring 5 minute listen I have had in the past two years.

I wish stuff like Giant Squid was more common. Synths, explosions, bombastic fish lyrics with sludge/doom feel. I like when people venture out regardless of how it turns out, it shows the courage in the music. For example Wing singing back in black. or singing anything really. :omg:
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:21 am

conky wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:
christianatl wrote:
t-rey wrote:
Nope, you're not. Seems like 'our' underground has been the trendy one for a few years now, so there has been more temptation for bands to appeal to the current crowd and/or avoid stepping too far away from the formula. Not that I dislike a lot of the music, but being able to see it become influenced by what is popular is more than a little disheartening. Also generates a shitload of garbage bands that are trying to cash in on the popularity and makes it hard to find good new music. I'll admit that the last point may be completely made of bullshit and entirely because I've not got the same amount of time to listen to new music as I used to...but whatever...old curmudgeon mode ENGAGE.

Cash in doesn't have to be about money, obviously. I'm sure there are loads of dudes in doom bands who, if they were 10-15 years older, would have been in third wave ska bands, too.

Yeah but your band is rad anyway dude. :lol:

Also Giant Squid is pretty rad.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:05 pm

conky wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:
christianatl wrote:
t-rey wrote:

Trumpets, for real? That's cool.

Am having a bit of a dilemma. Bought an EGC bolt-on. I was going to attach it to my VM Jazzmaster but I'm now considering a custom sort of guitar. Maybe telecaster or Jazzcaster. I don't fucking know. Could also be sold on RD or firebird/thunderbird.

I don't know. Thoughts? Pictures for reference?
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby samzadgan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:19 pm

dude...buy my monson and attach it to the nomad body...i wanted to do that with the Bastin neck...but wrong heel joint.

but if i was you...with the EGC...i would get someone to cut me out a completely different design...look at some old japanese guitars for cool weird shapes...Tiesco did some cool shit back in the day.

anyway...you get the idea...

samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby HeavyXIII » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:11 pm

Chiming in for the Giant Squid love. God I need to listen to some of that. The clean chorus interlude thing on Neonate gets me every time. I love it.

Although personally I find them more progressive with doom elements. Eh, whatever. Labels. Words. Blah. :)*
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:29 pm

I definitely thought about going Nomad shape, Sam. Some of those shapes seem so unique to the builder that stealing them seems ludicrous.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby t-rey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:40 pm

christianatl wrote:I like the "take it past where you found it" too.

That's a good one too.

Iommic Pope wrote:jr: yeah im looking at rhe orange one, which segues into my next point to trey; Apeing Bongzilla since DoS recommended it as an exercise in self improvement and playing Holy Mountain era 4:20 blues dad Sabb licks is all i do. When did this become problematic?

Me too buddy, and I enjoy the fuck out of it. And I think everyone should do it. I generally don't want to listen to bands that are only doing that though.

samzadgan wrote:as for rehashing vs innovating...i think there's a place for both. The rehashing bands will always be around, and there's definitely a time that i like them, but I liken it to a cup of espresso...the rehashing bands are the coffee, and what rises to the top (the crema) are the innovators who are pushing things forward. Actually that's a bad analogy, but you get what i mean...

In either case its not easy...a re-hashing band, to some degree has to work really hard to recreate and not sound the same. So, for example Orchid, is basically a Best of Black Sabbath tribute band...but they are different enough...and I dont think that difference was easy to establish.

finally we have to remember, and have some level of faith, that the music that bands write is a reflection of their artistry rather than a ploy to get famous of money...so with that in mind, if they sound kinda the same as another band, then in the first instance we put it down to that sound being them.

Edit: in the end i talk a lot of shit and half way through i forget what im try to say...so...yeah...there's that too...

Yeah...I get that the doom thing is overly saturated now and there are good bands that rise to the top of the crowd, just gets frustrating trying to find good new stuff when I don't have the same amount of time for music that I used to.

conky wrote:We are going to record some more stuff next week and have trumpets on one song.

You have literally all of my attention right now.

odontophobia wrote:Am having a bit of a dilemma. Bought an EGC bolt-on. I was going to attach it to my VM Jazzmaster but I'm now considering a custom sort of guitar. Maybe telecaster or Jazzcaster. I don't fucking know. Could also be sold on RD or firebird/thunderbird.

I don't know. Thoughts? Pictures for reference?

MUFUGGIN ALUMINUM NECK RD :doom: :love: :doom: :love:
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:07 am

yeah.
i keep going back and forth with keeping the jazzmaster vibe. upgrading some parts. maybe getting some custom blk/tri pickups wipped up.
selling my fender torando to help fund some shit. then having just two guitars. tele and jazzmaster with egc neck.
but then i'll find myself going to warmoth for the third time in as many hours and looking at bodies. it's nuts.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby samzadgan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:53 am

i can wholeheartedly say the jazzmaster with alu neck is awesome. I have no idea how different EGC will be from the Bastin one I have, but I'm really happy with the body choice. It balances really well and feels great to play together. I can also recommend the pickup style I got for it too. Which works really well with the whole set up. Its a custom build i got from a guy in the UK (which i've had about 4 or 5 other pickups from) and its a alnico 8 in a Ibanez Super 70's style pickup. Its has great clarity and easily handles the nuances of the aluminium neck. I had a Burstbucker and another PAF style pickup in there before as well as both the bridge and neck position Dirty Hesher...and this one is best by far.

samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org