The Doom Room: ILF Edition

Re: The Doom Room: ILF Edition

Postby t-rey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 pm

D.o.S. wrote:
t-rey wrote:I have not had the good fortune to try out a KWB...or even a DOD 250, or Distortion+ for that matter. I really need to try one out, I really love that clean/dirty thing they do.

You can try mine if you want?

The offer is much appreciated, dude. Currently my rig is scattered across the rental, so I'm going to pass for now. Once I get my shit together, I may get up with you about that if you don't mind.

pelliott wrote:new Mastodon track, that doesn't suck. In fact, it's very good if you liked Crack the Skye

(for fans of mastodon)

And Pallbearer, too! It doesn't suck either!

(also for fans of mastodon)

First listen: Dig the Pallbearer track. Super low expectations for the Mastodon song (even though I've recently come around on the last album not being a bag of dicks) and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.

D.o.S. wrote:I dig the fact that there's an audience for bands like Pallbearer (even though I'm not a huge fan) but I am a little disappointed that the weirdness/outside the box thinking in the genre seems to have been vanishing from the lips of the tastemakers. I feel like there's a refinement in the genre away from 'interesting' into 'product', and obviously that's not new (in the slightest) but it does seem to have permeated the 'visible underground' to a degree that makes me a little sad.

Am I full of shit?

Nope, you're not. Seems like 'our' underground has been the trendy one for a few years now, so there has been more temptation for bands to appeal to the current crowd and/or avoid stepping too far away from the formula. Not that I dislike a lot of the music, but being able to see it become influenced by what is popular is more than a little disheartening. Also generates a shitload of garbage bands that are trying to cash in on the popularity and makes it hard to find good new music. I'll admit that the last point may be completely made of bullshit and entirely because I've not got the same amount of time to listen to new music as I used to...but whatever...old curmudgeon mode ENGAGE.

Also, not doom, even though I think one of these dudes was in Galaxicon back in the day, but I've been listening to a shitload of Dead Soldiers recently.

t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby emptyparadigm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:21 am

Hell yeah, Mike (lead vox in DS) was the original vocalist/bassist in Galaxicon before we became a heavier, Lovecraftian kinda thing. They have a new album coming out soon and I'm super excited. They are repping Memphis right.

KHEMMIS. Doomed heavy metal. DECEIVER out 11/19/21 on Nuclear Blast.

GLACIAL TOMB. Misanthropic death/black/sludge. S/t debut out now on Gilead Media.

Good deals with: Ancient Astronaught, conky, crohny, D-Day, Corey Y, ryan summit, tons more here and on HCFX under this username
emptyparadigm

experienced
experienced

Postby t-rey » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:08 pm

emptyparadigm wrote:Hell yeah, Mike (lead vox in DS) was the original vocalist/bassist in Galaxicon before we became a heavier, Lovecraftian kinda thing. They have a new album coming out soon and I'm super excited. They are repping Memphis right.

Hell yeah man. It had been a while since I had listened to them, and then that song popped up in my facebook and reminded me to revisit them. New track is great and I'm all kinds of looking forward to the new album.

Something about their stuff rings really true to me right now. Musically, I've been in the mood for things sad and sincere for a little bit now. I'm 31, and currently in this really weird existential place where I'm seeing the person I am and how it's quite different than who I set out to be. Dreams dead on the vine and shit like that. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since I generally like my life and the path I'm walking, but still a kind of grieving process that I assume most of us experience.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:49 pm

new mastadon song sounds great...especially as its a bit of a return to CtS, which is up there as one of my favourite albums.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby christianatl » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:45 am

t-rey wrote:
Nope, you're not. Seems like 'our' underground has been the trendy one for a few years now, so there has been more temptation for bands to appeal to the current crowd and/or avoid stepping too far away from the formula. Not that I dislike a lot of the music, but being able to see it become influenced by what is popular is more than a little disheartening. Also generates a shitload of garbage bands that are trying to cash in on the popularity and makes it hard to find good new music. I'll admit that the last point may be completely made of bullshit and entirely because I've not got the same amount of time to listen to new music as I used to...but whatever...old curmudgeon mode ENGAGE.

Cash in. LOL. Not possible man.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whores/108004672554176
http://whores.bandcamp.com
http://whores.bigcartel.com

WTB: Chase Bliss Tonal Recall, Keeley 30ms Delay, cool fuzzes and hand-painted stuff.
christianatl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:45 am

There's probably more money in making cool looking t-shirts for a fake doom band than actually being in one.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jrfox92 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:47 am

Corey Y wrote:There's probably more money in making cool looking t-shirts for a fake doom band than actually being in one.

Or constantly talking shit about doom because of how "popular" it is. :whateva: :lol:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:37 am

christianatl wrote:
t-rey wrote:

Cash in doesn't have to be about money, obviously. I'm sure there are loads of dudes in doom bands who, if they were 10-15 years older, would have been in third wave ska bands, too.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 am

What's the best fuzz for swing-revival?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:21 pm

:lol:

Ive been keeping up but havent had time to post.
Do we have a thread about kit amps, like the Webers?
Anyone built one or heard one?
Worth doing?

Apologies for the derail.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Iommic Pope wrote: :lol:

Worth doing?

There's one guy building their 100S clone.
Once I sell a few things and make the money I just spent on new pedals back, I'll probably get their Orange and Sunn kits.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:03 pm

christianatl wrote:
t-rey wrote:

Yeah...undeniably bad choice of words on my part. Just seems like a lot of new doom bands are rehashing the same ideas that have been stale for a while now (which is kind of a bullshit argument, since that's true about most genres most of the time, but whatever). As much as I generally dislike sports, and fucking despise sports metaphors, there is that Wayne Gretzky quote that goes something like 'don't go where the puck is, go where it's going to be' or some such shit as that. And I know that I'm just being an old man about shit with music recently, but seeing people aim for the easy target instead of trying to innovate is a real bummer when I used to get excited about a lot of new low/slow bands.

Corey Y wrote:There's probably more money in making cool looking t-shirts for a fake doom band than actually being in one.

I see what you're saying...but what I'm hearing is that we should start up a fake doom band tshirt company :doom:

D.o.S. wrote:Cash in doesn't have to be about money, obviously. I'm sure there are loads of dudes in doom bands who, if they were 10-15 years older, would have been in third wave ska bands, too.

Want to start a 4th wave ska band? Pretty sure I've still got a saxophone somewhere around here.

Iommic Pope wrote::lol:

Worth doing?

I have nothing to contribute other than I'd really like to have a Mojotone 18w Marshall tmb. And with that, I've reached full dad-mode. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to fuck off to TGP and work on my blooze licks.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby christianatl » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:39 pm

t-rey wrote:
Yeah...undeniably bad choice of words on my part. Just seems like a lot of new doom bands are rehashing the same ideas that have been stale for a while now (which is kind of a bullshit argument, since that's true about most genres most of the time, but whatever). As much as I generally dislike sports, and fucking despise sports metaphors, there is that Wayne Gretzky quote that goes something like 'don't go where the puck is, go where it's going to be' or some such shit as that. And I know that I'm just being an old man about shit with music recently, but seeing people aim for the easy target instead of trying to innovate is a real bummer when I used to get excited about a lot of new low/slow bands.

I like the "take it past where you found it" too.

WTB: Chase Bliss Tonal Recall, Keeley 30ms Delay, cool fuzzes and hand-painted stuff.
christianatl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby christianatl » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:42 pm

I've also been thinking about a clone.

I need a good, 100-watt backup, and all of the legit ones that I want (Marshalls, Hiwatts, Sound Citys, etc) are too expensive.

I keep looking at cheaper stuff that I don't really want. Clone might be the answer.

christianatl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Yeah man thats basically where im at.
Plus, take the pice of what youre looking at and basically double it for the Australian market and you can fuckig forget about it.

jr: yeah im looking at rhe orange one, which segues into my next point to trey; Apeing Bongzilla since DoS recommended it as an exercise in self improvement and playing Holy Mountain era 4:20 blues dad Sabb licks is all i do. When did this become problematic?
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org