The running thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The running thread

Postby PeteeBee » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:29 am

Idk what the market is like in France, but around here it seems most towns have at least one specialty running store. They have people to help you find the right shoes. They always steer me to brooks bc my wide feet and weird gate. I'd say it's well worth the time to go to one if it's an option. Shoes, like delay pedals, are pretty personal.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:32 am

Yeah it's just that if I do replace those it will be on a tight budget and i don't to buy the crap I initially got that didn't last long at all. At least that asics were durable.

By the way I got those shitty asics after two sales people in 2 different store steered me towards them... well except gel sucks. :lol:
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:56 pm

D'Arcy, I rock off the shelf asics now. Nothing special. Never was into going to a specialized running store to get shoes (not that anyone shouldn't...per your training needs, in more extreme cases, you should). If I need shoes I go wherever I have a coupon.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:24 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Popvulture, hope you're safe. I forget you're in Texas.

Overlooked this! Thanks, man :hug: all good here, very fortunate.

Darcy: I'll second Brooks. I like em a lot—I've had lots of different pairs over the years from the most cushioned to minimal, but most consistently I've bought the Ghost. Nice and lightweight, a medium amount of cushioning. Great all around.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:26 pm

And I'll second Shark's comment as well... whatever's affordable/readily available and provides some support should be a great start. Just don't run like some Saucony Jazzes :D
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:26 pm

If you're fairly neutral try a Nike Pegasus maybe, the cheaper models are very reasonable and its a good shoe
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:46 pm

All right Team! Checking in! How's everyone's running going?
I'm consistent in the 4-5 mile/day range. Not breaking any records time wise but this is a 'process' oriented hobby and opposed to 'product'.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:44 am

Did an accidental 18km on Monday up in the fells because I got a bit lost. First time I've been out fell running for ages so it felt good.

Should probably run today but I'm hungoverrr.

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Darcy, I've got a pair of Brooks Ravenna 8 and Saucony Triumph Iso 2. They are good for a neutral to light over-pronation, and have quite a lot of cushioning so they're good for lots of kms and running on asphalt. I've previously had a pair of Asics that were nice, but the toebox didn't fit as well as it should. I wouldn't worry about the gel moving - it's not really doing anything in the shoe anyway and is just a relic from the 80s when everyone needed a competitor to Nike's air.
Pegasus are nice, I tried some sort of zoom thing and that sat really well too...

Get your gait analysed so you know if you pronate, or are neutral or supinate. A good shop will let you try shoes then video you running in them and analyse your footstrike, which is a great help in choosing good shoes.

I just ran Lindingöloppet today, which was 30k through the hills of Lidingö. I was way undercooked, and got roped into doing circuit training with a friend on Wednesday, so I still had stiff muscles from that haha. I'm an idiot. First 15k was ok, then it got progressively worse, although the last 4k was nice. Relatively speaking. Anyways, should have run way better than I did, but my preparation sucked so I think I'm happy... given the circumstances.

$harkToootth wrote:All right Team! Checking in! How's everyone's running going?
I'm consistent in the 4-5 mile/day range. Not breaking any records time wise but this is a 'process' oriented hobby and opposed to 'product'.

Rock n roll dude!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:16 pm

I'm neutral according to my running expert bandmate. Thanks for the advice man!

I've made the decision that I'll trash the Asics before buying something new. But it's nice to know I have options in a price range that's not too high for running shoes (the Nikes and the Brooks are about 130€ a pair here and I'll probably find an end of season deal when I need a renewal).
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Mr. Goroth, how much do you eat? You're a muscular dude, and I personally find if I ever ran those distances regularly, any sort of muscle would just...be gone.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:18 am

Disarm D'arcy wrote:I'm neutral according to my running expert bandmate. Thanks for the advice man!

I've made the decision that I'll trash the Asics before buying something new. But it's nice to know I have options in a price range that's not too high for running shoes (the Nikes and the Brooks are about 130€ a pair here and I'll probably find an end of season deal when I need a renewal).

There are cheaper models of all these shoes with similar features. :poke:

Goroth and I just have expensive taste in running shoes cos we do a lot.

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:49 am

$harkToootth wrote:Mr. Goroth, how much do you eat? You're a muscular dude, and I personally find if I ever ran those distances regularly, any sort of muscle would just...be gone.

I'm 5'9" and weigh 150 odd of your funny units of weight.
I eat pretty well rounded, drink too much I suppose so that's some extra calories :lol:
I'm just careful about replenishing carbs fat and protein afterwards.

I used to be more muscly (but still a skinny shit) but the last few years my legs are looking more like "runner's legs".
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:53 am

Used Adidas SLs back when I was serious- great shoes, but not much cushioning, and likely resulted in the string of injuries I had (stress fractures, etc). Damn they were great though. Pretty sure they haven't made them in two decades though. Will second the Pegasus.

Lately I've been wearing Mizuno Wave Inspire (lame name and ugly) which have worked to keep me uninjured. Bulky as hell, way overbuilt, but it's the compromise I've had to make to stay healthy.

30k by accident?? Id be dead. Race (5k) coming up in a few days, hoping to go sub 20. Course is hilly as fock, and temps in the upper 80s/20s, going to be painful.
DRodriguez wrote:Imma build a disc delay based on a stationary bike, the faster you pedal, the faster the delay.

Bike backwards and you get a reverse delay.
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:58 am

Goroth, we're literally the same body type. 5'9" and fluctuate between 68 - 72 kg (see what I did there! #culturalexchange!) per hydration and how much I'm weight training (incidentally, the 72 kg is probably the healthier weight for me, otherwise I start to look like Michael Fassbender in HUNGER but not nearly as handsome. The most I ever weighted was 75 kg and that took literally all my effort in eating (roughly 5000 calories a day)...couldn't [didn't want to] do it anymore :lol:

I tried squatting more to alleviate 'runners legs" but then I realized I didn't care...it was a valiant effort for a while though.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion