Greg Edwards' "other guitar at the same time" sound.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Greg Edwards' "other guitar at the same time" sound.

Postby jrfox92 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:07 am

Hardcore necro-bumping, but I was redrawing a layout for Greg's rig and realized the switching setup he has is not a Voodoo Labs Ground Control (it has an extra row of switches).
I've searched trying to get an idea what it might be, but I still have no idea. Anyone have a clue? The only pictures I have from when they played in Cleveland are super blurry and I, basically, completely ignored the board with the switchers on it.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby thesneakup » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:06 am

Three rows of six buttons reminded me of the Rocktron All Access. Magnifying one of the woefully few photos available seemed to show the AA's chassis contours and the MIDI out toward the left of the back panel. I used to have one in its distinctive (i.e. gaudy) Mac Folder Blue color, but a black one also was made (though Greg could've murdered it out by his own brooding self). *After a search, a couple of enthusiasts' lists confirm this, fwiw.

The AA was a capable device, and though Greg and Ken Andrews use the technically smarter RJM Mastermind now, no other pedal that I've put a foot on, MIDI controller or otherwise, was or is as solidly built.
thesneakup

interested
interested

Postby popvulture » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:31 am

thesneakup wrote:Greg and Ken Andrews use the technically smarter RJM Mastermind now

An Axe-FX now as well, yeah? Or at least they do in Failure... not sure if that'll bleed into Autolux, tbd I suppose. One of the more intriguing examples that made me actually consider the idea of having one of those someday.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:56 am

thesneakup wrote:Three rows of six buttons reminded me of the Rocktron All Access.

Yep, that's it. :hug:
popvulture wrote:
thesneakup wrote:Greg and Ken Andrews use the technically smarter RJM Mastermind now

An Axe-FX now as well, yeah? Or at least they do in Failure... not sure if that'll bleed into Autolux, tbd I suppose. One of the more intriguing examples that made me actually consider the idea of having one of those someday.

It hasn't so far (as of when I saw them last year, still well after Failure rebooted).
I, honestly, don't think it ever will since he's been so particular about his Autolux rig.
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ||||| » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:28 pm

jrfox92 wrote:
thesneakup wrote:Three rows of six buttons reminded me of the Rocktron All Access.

Yep, that's it. :hug:
popvulture wrote:

It hasn't so far (as of when I saw them last year, still well after Failure rebooted).
I, honestly, don't think it ever will since he's been so particular about his Autolux rig.

Yeah, it's a taped up All Access. He still uses it but I'm not sure for how much longer - he had a problem with it when playing Lollapalooza 2016 and couldn't get one of the footswitches activated. I doubt he will ever switch to Axe FX for Autolux - like you said, he's really particular and loves tube amps.

Just curious, are you drawing signal path? What do you have so far?
|||||

interested
interested

Postby jrfox92 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 pm

||||| wrote:Yeah, it's a taped up All Access. He still uses it but I'm not sure for how much longer - he had a problem with it when playing Lollapalooza 2016 and couldn't get one of the footswitches activated. I doubt he will ever switch to Axe FX for Autolux - like you said, he's really particular and loves tube amps.

Just curious, are you drawing signal path? What do you have so far?

It's mostly just trying to figure out a signal path based on hearsay/interviews and trying to figure out everything on his board.
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ||||| » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 pm

What do you need help identifying on his board? I'm pretty sure I know everything at this point - I've got a huge library of pictures I've gathered over the last 10 years or so. What era are you talking about?

If you have any leads on his signal path let me know - I'm always interested to know what others think about it.
|||||

interested
interested

Postby jrfox92 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:31 pm

||||| wrote:What do you need help identifying on his board? I'm pretty sure I know everything at this point - I've got a huge library of pictures I've gathered over the last 10 years or so. What era are you talking about?

If you have any leads on his signal path let me know - I'm always interested to know what others think about it.

Man, I'll take all those pics if you're open to uploading them.
I have a lot, but the only thing I really don't know about is the looper at the top of his board.
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:10 am

Figured it out.
Looks like it's a custom CAE looper.
That coupled with the Rocktron AA means the chain could be anything and we'll probably never know how he sets it up from song to song. :idk: :flame:
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby thesneakup » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 am

||||| wrote:
jrfox92 wrote:
popvulture wrote:not sure if that'll bleed into Autolux, tbd I suppose. One of the more intriguing examples that made me actually consider the idea of having one of those someday.

Yeah, it's a taped up All Access. He still uses it but I'm not sure for how much longer - he had a problem with it when playing Lollapalooza 2016 and couldn't get one of the footswitches activated. I doubt he will ever switch to Axe FX for Autolux - like you said, he's really particular and loves tube amps.

I think the same. There seems to be a definite operational aesthetic to Autolux; for Greg, that probably includes the variable fidelity and peculiar sounds of combinations of pedals, rack gear, etc. Though he's still switching loops via MIDI, there's less "computer interfacing" and more direct action through hardware signal paths than in Failure's latest conception, for example. I could see sticking with a functioning All Access for Autolux duties for that reason – it's a simpler machine than a Mastermind GT and requires less intellectualizing to play with in some ways – but after the work is done setting up a MM GT for your purposes, there's no beating its capability. It could perform many functions for him in his Autolux role.

That being said, I really like how it's impossible to predict his moves with complete certainty. He can and will use any gear that does what he needs it to do regardless of reputation or whatever some cultural coterie might think about it. He'll play a fretless Wal and an off-the-shelf Precision or seek setup consultation from the guy who built racks for Toto. Though the Axe-FXs were used mainly (I think) for reproducible sound quality, portability and reliability in the Failure realm, it's possible that he could do anything. (By the way, the Failure show that I saw on their last tour was the best-sounding live show I've ever heard. It was like listening to the record through enormous studio monitors – not clinically clean, just big and clear – and I have to think that the Axe-FXs deserve some of the credit. Hum (whom I love) was on the same bill, and they sounded like a local band in comparison; regardless of the standard opener/headliner discrepancies, the difference was remarkable and kind of embarrassing.)

||||| wrote:What do you need help identifying on his board? I'm pretty sure I know everything at this point - I've got a huge library of pictures I've gathered over the last 10 years or so. What era are you talking about?

I am too! If you guys don't mind sharing what you've learned a little more widely, I know that I, for one, would enjoy seeing/reading it.
thesneakup

interested
interested

Postby ||||| » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:20 am

So I forgot I made a really in depth post about Greg and Eugene's gear throughout the years over at TGP. Here's the link - feel free to pick up the conversation over here or private message me to get an email going or something.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... t-24287932
|||||

interested
interested

Previous

Return to General Gear