Boss HM-2

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Boss HM-2

Postby KaosCill8r » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Tristan wrote:I think if you don't want to go Boss because of non true bypass and strange power requirements the Anarchy Audio HM-2 is the way to go, smallest footprint, best price and it sounds killer, I have one here and I really dig it. :)

I second this. johnnyc makes some good gear. I have a custom fuzz and booster built by him and have his Esquilax EQ also. Great guy to deal with also. Can't give an opinion about his HM-2 as I don't own one, but he does know his shit when it comes to building pedals. I would recommend his builds to anyone. :thumb:
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:35 pm

I've seen the demos, they sound like a HM-2.

I'd consider one of his modded Metal Zones as well if you're in that range of looking for stuff.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Brandsmannen wrote:Oh, haha, didn't know that one existed! I was just trying to justify the price, but I guess you simply can't. Wouldn't ever pay that much for a HM-2 clone, or any distortion actually

Yeah, it's not like that's the only modded HM-2 clone out there. Dunwich builds one, or at least they used to. Don't know what they cost though. But there's plenty of small time diy'ers out there that make a decent true bypass HM-2 clone with a couple extra controls or whatever, and they don'ttypically go for a lot more than $150, at most.

And yeah, in Europe a mij HM-2 can be found for around 100Euro I think. So instead of paying more than twice that for something with nicer aesthetics, I'd personally rather run a cheap HM-2 through a bypass looper. If I gave a shit about true bypass that is :)

But if someone would build me an FZ-2 clone in a 125B enclosure with top jacks, for less than $125...I'm all ears :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby spacelordmother » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:39 pm

In anticipation of the GL100 I pulled out my actual HM2 and remembered that it had a faulty switch so it flickers on and off, cutting the signal, or taking several stomps to engage/disengage. Decided to take it apart and found that a previous owner had "fixed" a broken solder joint on the switch by knotting a stranded wire around the post and taping the other end to the original wire. I cleaned everything up, resoldered the wire, and now I'm back to full on metal mayhem!

:animal:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby Tristan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:37 pm

As a note, one not very often highlighted use I really like the HM-2 for is the synthy gated effect when you play damped staccato notes.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Imagine that gate with about 30% more gain or so.

That's why I haven't bought another HM-2 and just roll with the GL-100 now.

Full on crackle mean.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:46 pm

I also find that the HM-2 sounds great with drum machines, just a tip for anyone who is into that jazz
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby teethvsteeth » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:08 pm

shout outs to abominable electronics for making dope shit
http://www.abominableelectronics.com/collections/311112-pedals/products/9792574-throne-torcher-hm-2-clone-w-extras

our friend Jay (Harms Way, Black X) came to us with a request to build him an HM-2 clone with the ability to dial out some of the harshness that the Boss pedal had. We worked together and came up with this pedal.

Built based on the Boss HM-2 circuit, we've added our own flair to this legend of shred with a Mids control, LED clipping footswitch (just like the Hail Satan) which will light up the burning church when engaged, and we've also used the magical russian diodes from the Klon Centaur in the circuit, all to give it an incredible sound.
teethvsteeth

interested
interested

Postby nevada » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:47 pm

^^ Looks new/cool to me.
Good deals with PumpkinPieces, hazelwould, PetZounds, Steelyeye, DannDubbleEwe (x3), skullservant (x3), ChetMagongalo, leaves turn, Helter, EvilCatBucky, OddKnowledge, vanderholm, Phengren Oswald, Uncle Grandfather, decomposing, MrNovember, multi_s (x2), smallsoundbigsound (x2), Dandolin, Strangle Tales who is a good dude
nevada

experienced
experienced

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:05 am

The joke is dialing out the harshness is....like making it into a Tube Screamer.

I didn't use it for its happy non-harsh smooth.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 pm

Bumping this thread because I finally have another HM-2, my bass/guitar board for heavy shit is about to be tuner-HM2- ARC Soothsayer (rat)-BiFet-Bitquest.

I'm heavily considering picking up another Moog ring mod for this board but I have no fucking clue what I'd use it for in my hardcore bands.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 am

Use it when you do harmonics?

Tune it to D and use it every time you do low chuggy stuff
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:31 pm

neonblack wrote:Use it when you do harmonics?

Tune it to D and use it every time you do low chuggy stuff

Yo true.... I just really miss having one
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Pete » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:51 pm

Dumb question, but can the HM-2 be powered through Voodoo Lab power supplies (I have the Pedal Power 2 Plus and 4x4), or does it need its own Boss ACA Power Supply?
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby rfurtkamp » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:57 pm

If it's chained to something else, regular 9v is fine.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear