Resistors.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Resistors.

Postby comesect2.0 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Are these 1k or 10k ?....and what's the difference when being used for volume control on a passive mixer?
Just got done painting/rehousing a passive mixer and now want to build some,
2017-09-05 14.09.22.jpg

2017-09-05 14.08.56.jpg

Learning best by taking things apart.

So, what is best resistor for a passive mixers volume control.
Last edited by comesect2.0 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Resistors question

Postby comesect2.0 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:23 pm

and I tend to gravitate toward 10K as a mix buss resistor, though you'll get a fair amount of crosstalk with hot signals.

This is why I ask because never had any crosstalk with this mixer and can't seem to find a color code that matches ^pic to help.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Resistors question

Postby crochambeau » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:00 pm

comesect2.0 wrote:
and I tend to gravitate toward 10K as a mix buss resistor, though you'll get a fair amount of crosstalk with hot signals.

This is why I ask because never had any crosstalk with this mixer and can't seem to find a color code that matches ^pic to help.

It's kind of difficult to see the colors in the second pic, and I say that because it looks like there might be different values.

The first pic looks like yellow (4) orange (3) red (2) gold (5%) to me, which is a 4300 ohm resistor plus or minus 5%.

10K will be brown (1) black (0) orange (3 more zeros), or brown black black red depending on how many bands they painted, plus a tolerance band (unless it's a super old =/- 20%).
1K will see the multiplier reduced in value by one.

Clear as mud?

Black = 0
Brown = 1
Red = 2
Orange = 3
Yellow = 4
Green = 5
Blue = 6
Purple = 7
Gray = 8
White = 9

I generally use 10K for passive summing, 1K might work okay for a lot of stuff, but the lower you go the more potential issues you can meet. I know some people who have not flinched at connecting two outputs together with a straight bit of wire and called it a day, the notion gives me the EE heebie jeebies but I never heard them complain (this was in a noise application, and is generally bad practice).
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Resistors.

Postby comesect2.0 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:58 am

for whom ever may need it....

& I think they're 12k ........ :idk:
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:06 pm

10k pots are typically used, though I see 100k & b500k being used as well.... :excellent:, what if I were to use a b500k for my passive mixer...?
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:40 pm

I would just lift one end with your soldering iron and toss the DVOM on there and check them to be sure!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12864-Mega328-E ... Swa-dWhWzn
I highly recommend everyone own one of those bee tee dubs.. I bought the less fancy version for $3 and a case for $2.. then some clip leads which I just lock in the chip socket there, and it works on everything. Diodes, transistors of all variety, resistors, capacitors, inductors.. everything. Super handy and it's pretty accurate too.

I can't really tell from the pic what those resistors are, but it looks to me like they have a gold 1% band, and I swear I see a yellow band on the other end.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:50 pm

thats the best I could do (pic) because the bus's are hot glued and the whole thing is balanced on itself ready to snap,Thanks alot for the link.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Yeah man, sorry I couldn't have been more help there, but seriously if you DIY at all, get one of those Mega328's.. it's Ridonk for like$5. Helped me pick out a good pair of 1 ohm 3 watt resistors for biasing tube amps, really accurate!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:52 am

Meanwhile painted up this one waiting on parts.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:54 pm

That's great man! It looks like some kind of super technocolor futuristic corrosion. And I mean that in the best possible way!
Is that a flaming lips ring mod I spy? Dope.
Like the Dune quote in the sig too :joy:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Do you have a multi-meter with an ohmmeter setting? If not, I strongly recommend that you get one. In addition to showing you resistor values, you can use it to test the value of a pot at a setting (which you could potentially replace with a resistor) and just to check if two points in a circuit are connected. Really useful! Plus you'll want to be able to read pin values if you're designing an active mixer.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects