What are you reading?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:45 am

MrNovember wrote:Next up are Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and The City & the City. Oh and I bought the first Dune as well

Dune is a masterpiece, DADoES (boom) is amazing, as are most of Dick's books, and I've read every piece of Lovecraft I've been able to get my hands on, good choices all around!

I kind of read like 3 books at a time, not all at once, but I'll read one for a week at night, and then go to the next, and do that till I finish all three roughly around the same time. I'm currently trying to finish the Dark Tower series, at least I made it through the Gunslinger before they came out with movies. I'm also grinding through the Simarillion by Tolkien, but it's not the most exciting thing ever. I'm looking forward to reading some more Science Fiction in the near future.
-Brett
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bloatedsack » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:35 pm

I've already said my piece on Dune.

Do Androids Dream... is pretty good. It's nothing like Blade Runner, which is how I got there. It is interesting to see the source material, but there's very little to compare the book to the movie other than he's an android bounty hunter, the characters, adn some of the framing. Blade Runner 2 (which I also read) is based on the movie's world far, and is an actual "Blade Runner" book. It's also bad.

As for Lovecraft? I've read everything I could find from him for probably 30 years now. He's an absolutely awful writer: His plots tend to be weak, his use of language bad, his obsession with architecture and overt racism are all major downfalls...but motherfucker can make it creepy like no one else before or after, even when those guys are plundering the same source (I'm looking at you, Derleth).

My absolute favourite story of his is "The Rats in the Walls."
bloatedsack

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:03 pm

bloatedsack wrote: As for Lovecraft?

Yeah man he makes it creepy like nobody else. Rats in the walls is dope, so is Cool air, and Dagon.
I pretty much just enjoy them all honestly. I'm not some literature critic, but I've also never read 50 shades of trash or whatever. I just enjoy the way he describes stuff, particularly the grotesque!
-Brett
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Reading The Demon In the Freezer ... creepy book about disease and biological weapons ... I'll read The Hot Zone shortly after (about Ebola)
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:48 pm

bloatedsack wrote:I've already said my piece on Dune.

Do Androids Dream... is pretty good. It's nothing like Blade Runner, which is how I got there. It is interesting to see the source material, but there's very little to compare the book to the movie other than he's an android bounty hunter, the characters, adn some of the framing. Blade Runner 2 (which I also read) is based on the movie's world far, and is an actual "Blade Runner" book. It's also bad.

As for Lovecraft? I've read everything I could find from him for probably 30 years now. He's an absolutely awful writer: His plots tend to be weak, his use of language bad, his obsession with architecture and overt racism are all major downfalls...but motherfucker can make it creepy like no one else before or after, even when those guys are plundering the same source (I'm looking at you, Derleth).

Lovecraft's lack of punctuation really makes his writing hard to read but once you get over it you can really appreciate his imagination ... his compatriot at the time, Robert E. Howard, was a much better writer and his Conan stories were really brutal - it actually be hard to make Conan into a movie that is true to the book because Conan wasn't really a likable character ... Lovecraft's and Howard's politics were very different - Lovecraft was a fan of fascism (supported Mussolini's invasion of Ethiopia) whereas Howard was anti-fascist and opposed the invastion
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:55 am

About Dune : I read that decades ago but would probably want to read it again at some time, but I'm not sure if the Kindle editions are good or not. Apparently the "SF Masterworks" version seems ok but I'm not sure they're ok in terms of typos/etc.

Recent books have no issues with their Kindle versions (except when they require funky formatting) because the original is already digital but for older books it's usually done automatically with text recognition + maybe some human checking it afterward so some versions are apparently very crappy.

So, has anyone read a good Kindle version of Dune ?

Also, I'm finishing Borne by Jeff Vandermeer and I like it so far. He does weird very well.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby The Eristic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:00 am

Started Anna Karenina. One of those "I'll get around to it" books, finally getting around to it.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:42 pm

oscillateur wrote:Also, I'm finishing Borne by Jeff Vandermeer and I like it so far. He does weird very well.

I want to pick this one up soon too...maybe after I get through a few of the others on my list. I loved Vandermeer's Southern Reach Trilogy. That was a really weird and really good read!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby fcknoise » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:56 pm

If you like economics critique this is a short and fun read
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby futuresailors » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:22 pm

oscillateur wrote:So, has anyone read a good Kindle version of Dune ?

I got the complete series off piratebay...
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:17 pm

futuresailors wrote:
oscillateur wrote:So, has anyone read a good Kindle version of Dune ?

I got the complete series off piratebay...

Do you know what version it is and were there formatting/syntax/etc. issues ?
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JereFuzz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:33 pm

There's an interesting book coming out soon called, Paperbacks From Hell:

I'm interested in old (70s/80s/90s) Horror/Suspense Novels that from lesser known authors with new/different/premises ... any suggestions?
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:25 pm

^^^OMG that is straight up Garth Marenghi :lol:
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:06 pm

$harkToootth wrote:^^^OMG that is straight up Garth Marenghi :lol:

did you know that Josh from Malekko has another company to do the manufacturing of pedals/modules for both Malekko and other companies and that it's called DarkPlace Manufacturing ?
For exactly that reason ;).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:13 pm

^^^Did not know that. Thank you! I have re-watched DARK PLACE more than any show. Probably watched all six episodes 30+ times each :lol:
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion