Now help me pick an amp

Now help me pick an amp

Postby rsfc » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:14 am

Just getting back into guitar after a looooong time. I'm kinda open minded here. Prob want to stay under 1k. Will mostly be using at home, probably not gigging anytime soon. I already have an oversized fender bassman 2x12 cab from the 60s with newer speakers.

I've been keeping my eye out for a decent V4 but I can't find anything local and most online appear to be overpriced, beat to shit and/or modded. I think this is a risky pick for that reason. On the other hand it seems to be a popular favorite for doom. Might be too loud for in house playing?

New Electro Harmonix mig-50. It's new, cheap, warranty and hopefully more reliable than the originals. Sovtek originals seem relatively liked in doom circles. I have read some feel the originals lack bass response, weren't clean enough for doom.

Some local options: early 80s JCM 800 2x12 combo. $1000 not horrible but a bit more than I wanted to spend. Seems like the doom community prefers amps based on the jcm 800 more than the originals? Also find silver face 50 watt bassmans and a cheap silver face PA100 as well as a plethora of Peavey 6505 heads and a couple solid state sunn amps cheapish.

I'm open to other options but since I don't have an amp, I'd like to pick up something soon and not wait much longer.
rsfc

interested
interested

Re: Now help me pick an amp

Postby odontophobia » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:43 am

Pedal dirt or amp dirt?
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Kacey Y » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:04 am

Get a used Bassman if you're mostly using pedals. Get a used 5150/6505 if you want some amp distortion or you think you might want some for any other music. I've used both for heavy doom stuff before with good results, but you might like one better or use either one more. Personally I'd go with a Bassman and some pedals, even the 50 watt models are plenty loud enough and they're generally pretty reliable. The Peavey amps are good, I just think if you don't need amp distortion, it's a lot of overkill as far as controls and features go.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rsfc » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:40 am

odontophobia wrote:Pedal dirt or amp dirt?

I would like something that takes pedals well but I'm open to some amp dirt as long as it meets that criteria.

There is also a Sound City L120 locally for $700. I know these are kinda popular in these parts but online reviews don't inspire a lot of confidence.
rsfc

interested
interested

Postby odontophobia » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:01 am

Carvin X100b is a great bang for your buck pedal amp. It's probably more bang for your buck, to be honest. Loud and clean. Not much for dirt on it's own.

Peavey stuff is great and can always be had cheap. I'll agree with Corey totally on the 6505 and the 5150. Plenty of bullshit mojo on the earlier 5150s sounding superior and maybe it's true but few will ever know the difference. The VTM and Butcher are also great -- both JCM-ish if that's what you're looking for right now. Those are fetching higher prices because they're popular right now.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Kacey Y » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:21 am

odontophobia wrote:Carvin X100b is a great bang for your buck pedal amp. It's probably more bang for your buck, to be honest. Loud and clean. Not much for dirt on it's own.

Peavey stuff is great and can always be had cheap. I'll agree with Corey totally on the 6505 and the 5150. Plenty of bullshit mojo on the earlier 5150s sounding superior and maybe it's true but few will ever know the difference. The VTM and Butcher are also great -- both JCM-ish if that's what you're looking for right now. Those are fetching higher prices because they're popular right now.

I'll back this. I had an X100B that I used for all my demo recording for a long time. I wish I hadn't sold it, but they can be had for a reasonable price all day long. Honestly, I never used anything but the clean channel with pedals and loved it. Built in power scaling too, which is nice. If you can find one for under $400, that's a deal. They also still sell them new for a reasonable price too.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rsfc » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:11 pm

Do you find the X100B to be a solid amp or just good in relation to how cheap it is? It looks like it has some nice features like the different wattage settings. I've read people like the clean side in general (which I assume takes pedals well) but many don't seem too impressed with the overdrive sounds from the amp. All else equal, would you choose the x100b over a bassman 50 or a mig 50?
rsfc

interested
interested

Postby odontophobia » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:19 pm

I would take the x100b over the reissue Mig. Depending on what I played and who I played it with I may or may not take a Sovtek Mig over it. It certainly has that doom credibility but lacks versatility.

Over the Bassman? Probably depends on the Bassman and it's condition.

The X100b is just a great amp. The price tag is icing on the cake.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby rsfc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Thanks for the advices. It so happens there was a x100b available locally that I was able to pick up for less than 3 bills.
Last edited by rsfc on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
rsfc

interested
interested

Postby odontophobia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:01 pm

rsfc wrote:Thanks for the advices. It so happens there was a x100b available locally that I was about to pick up for less than 3 bills.

That sounds about on par. Hoping you're not disappointed.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JonnyAngle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:39 pm

peavey bandit 112 with extension speaker.

sounds like sex.
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to ilovedoom.org