How do I avoid harsh upper mids ...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

How do I avoid harsh upper mids ...

Postby ck3 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:27 pm

with my existing setup when recording fuzzes? I recently fumbled through the following demo, which sounds like ass in a can and is slightly more intelligible through headphones:

https://soundcloud.com/charles-kirby-769745482/valeton-red-haze-gain-cascading-experiment-featuring-my-entire-pedalboard

I'm currently using an Atomic Amplifire (firmware V3) into a Mackie Blackjack Onyx, and Audacity is my DAW of choice. Would use of different amp models and panning rectify EQ issues?
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: How do I avoid harsh upper mids ...

Postby actual » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:08 pm

How does it sound straight out of that amp thing? Is the interface clipping?
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ck3 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 pm

The Amplifire's output is typically right in the green on various level indicators. I reduced recording preamp levels when clipping indicators were triggered on my Mackie Blackjack. The total output of the combined rhythm guitar and "bass" tracks still appeared to enter clipping range at times in Audacity. I also reduced levels in tracks while mixing. Is this a scenario in which a compressor or limiter would come in handy?
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby actual » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:55 pm

If clipping is the issue going in, then yes a comp and/or limiter could be useful, but it won't do much in post, you'll just have a bad sound that's now compressed (if that's what you meant). What I meant was, is the signal coming out of the Joyo the same as the recorded sound? If yes, then maybe try the other amp simulations. If no, then the Onyx might just have bad converters/pres.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:22 pm

There's no reason to push the front end of a digital capture rig. Unless you have a noisy chain, you can peak at well under "yellow" (or nominal) and just recover those levels later inside the box.

The only reason to push stuff is when there's a tube, or tape, or a transformer, or a speaker, or something else that does cool shit when it's pushed outside the envelope of intended operation.

Are your inputs set to "line" or "mic" on the Blackjack?

If you can't help but push stuff toward clip, and don't want to, I'd recommend a 2:1 step down transformer, or some other attenuator. Gotta be careful about transformers though, as they present a load that a lot of stuff is not tailored to (so you might shift sound quality in a direction that you don't want), plus they can cost more than a lot of people prefer to spend.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ck3 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:26 pm

The recorded sound is identical to what is coming out of the Amplifire, and the Onyx inputs are set to line level. In spite of dilligent efforts to keep clipping in check with individual tracks, levels seem to intermittently spike into the orange and red zones during mixdown, and nuances of certain fuzzy textures are lost in the mix. I'm already in the process of retweaking all of my pedal-friendly presets to have even less preamp gain and flatter EQ curves. The stock IRs also sound a bit less honky than the Redwirez Marshall 1960A I was using in the recording. Amplifire Firmware V.2 seemed more fuzz-friendly.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby actual » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 pm

If you have some peaks that cause cliping during mixing in the DAW, then yes, limiter. Hope you figure it out, it's probably just a matter of experimenting till you have a result you like.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby adi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:29 am

OEK sound - Soothe
adi

involved
involved

Return to Tech & Recording