The Doom Room: ILF Edition

Re: The Doom Room: ILF Edition

Postby t-rey » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:17 am

odontophobia wrote:Sometimes sleeps past 6. And only if I'm holding the damn kiddo. But it's all good.

Sounds like mine :lol:
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby t-rey » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 am

Les Paul/Gibson scale dudes - what gauge strings are you running? My LP is too flubby and dull with 11s tuned to drop C, so I was thinking something bigger would alleviate that problem, right? I'd probably need to get the nut filed or some shit since the strings are pretty cozy in there already. The reality is I'll just take it to someone so I don't fuck up the nicest thing I own.

So yeah - the idea is to retain the snap and big bottom end like the cleanish stuff that starts around 0:12 in Your Best Years. Suggestions?

t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jrfox92 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:11 pm

I use EB Not Even Slinky's (56-12) on my SG that's tuned to C, and it's served me quite well, so far.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BitchPudding » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:31 pm

jrfox92 wrote:I use EB Not Even Slinky's (56-12) on my SG that's tuned to C, and it's served me quite well, so far.

Same exact gear as you. No problems at all, can do bends just as easily (if not slightly easier) as on a regular guitar.

t-rey wrote:The reality is I'll just take it to someone so I don't fuck up the nicest thing I own.

Definitely take it to someone for the set up if your not comfortable doing it yourself. The nut will probably have to be filed down. It'll save you the fuss and takes all of like 30 mins to do, maybe.
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby HeavyXIII » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:42 pm

t-rey wrote:Les Paul/Gibson scale dudes - what gauge strings are you running? My LP is too flubby and dull with 11s tuned to drop C, so I was thinking something bigger would alleviate that problem, right? I'd probably need to get the nut filed or some shit since the strings are pretty cozy in there already. The reality is I'll just take it to someone so I don't fuck up the nicest thing I own.

So yeah - the idea is to retain the snap and big bottom end like the cleanish stuff that starts around 0:12 in Your Best Years. Suggestions?

Glad to see people haven't forgotten this glorious album already! About half of our songs are in A#; I use slightly heavier strings than everyone else, a custom 13-60 set I've put together from JustStrings. If memory serves, D'Addario makes a 12-60 set that's pretty similar. I can't do anything without a wound 3rd anymore. :p DR makes a 13-65 set, but those were waaay too heavy for me, and the heaviest strings were far tenser than the rest of the set.

Heavy clean is best clean. :cool:
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby t-rey » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Sounds like 12s are probably the best bet for my tuning while retaining tension/clarity.

And hell yeah, that Kowloon Walled City album is great, it's been in heavy rotation again recently, which is part of the reason I started considering heavy strings to begin with. Right there with you on the wound 3rd buddy :doom:
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:33 am

i've been on the D'Addario 12-60's for ages (5-6 years)...as I actually prefer the plain 3rd string...not a fan of wound...and I tune to B now, but use to tune to C

having said that, i was talked into going for the 13-62 set on my Millimetric very recently. But i haven't got it in my hands yet, so i guess I will report back when I play around with that.

edit: in addition, for reference, I like to bend or add vibrato to power chords...so, floppy is OK for my needs, otherwise i would break fingers trying to do it.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Hey friends. It's not doom, but I put out a new record the other day. GOG meets Fennesz at the death of democracy, maybe? A really shitty Corrupted interlude record without the guitars? :lol:
https://escapecraft.bandcamp.com/album/abdication

Also Trey, have you tried yourself a Kowloon Walled Bunny yet? If you like the KWC tone, you really should.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby HeavyXIII » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:42 pm

Failing that, he could always get a germanium D+ and take one of the clippers out on the cheap. I had a OCD clone that was missing a clipper and it did the KWC-esque sound. Only reason it's off my board ATM is because it doesn't do weird chords as well as I like. >_>

I LOVE that recording, DoS! Is that what people build euroracks for?
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Yeah my KWB is a DOD250 that skullservant modded for me way back when. Not an exact clone but it's amazing -- and it is their clean/dirty tone in a box.

The last two tracks have Eurorack on them. The first two don't. So, uh, sort of?

Thanks for the kind words, duder!
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby samzadgan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:16 pm

DoS...i had a listen to that album...nice work man...it really spaced me out.

so...New Year, and new band! Crimson Ritual ended when my band mate suffered some sever mental health issues late last year. He's fine now (physically anyway), but he's moved back to his parents place outside the city and is just taking it easy. It's a real shame, because when he was stable, he was a really nice guy...and plus we just clicked musically.

So new band is another 2 piece, but its me on guitar and noise and band mate on drums, which is different for me, because i need to write riffs to a beat. Last week we had our first jam, which went awesome. I had a couple of parts worked out for it, and we jammed it out and we quickly got it to a point where we have the best part of a song done...just need to tighten it up and maybe add some colour to it. I'm also, for the first time going to try my hand at vocals - inaudible death metal growls - so that should be interesting.

so the question is, what effects do people use on vocal's? do you even need vocal effects? im thinking maybe some reverb??

by the way...new band name might be Jackals Peak.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gnomethrone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:39 pm

I like doing vocals through an old half broken digitech multi-fx. Compression, sustain, lots of reverb and delay and whammy-style pitch shifting with the treadle. Gets weird and is easier than a whole other pedal board.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:16 pm

samzadgan wrote:i've been on the D'Addario 12-60's for ages (5-6 years)...as I actually prefer the plain 3rd string...not a fan of wound...and I tune to B now, but use to tune to C

having said that, i was talked into going for the 13-62 set on my Millimetric very recently. But i haven't got it in my hands yet, so i guess I will report back when I play around with that.

edit: in addition, for reference, I like to bend or add vibrato to power chords...so, floppy is OK for my needs, otherwise i would break fingers trying to do it.

Cool. I play the D'Addario 11s with the wound 3rd, so that is probably the set I'd try first.

Pumped you've got a new band going buddy!

D.o.S. wrote:Hey friends. It's not doom, but I put out a new record the other day. GOG meets Fennesz at the death of democracy, maybe? A really shitty Corrupted interlude record without the guitars? :lol:

Also Trey, have you tried yourself a Kowloon Walled Bunny yet? If you like the KWC tone, you really should.

Will give that a listen while I'm paperworking my morning away tomorrow.

I have not had the good fortune to try out a KWB...or even a DOD 250, or Distortion+ for that matter. I really need to try one out, I really love that clean/dirty thing they do.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dunbine » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:28 am

D.o.S. wrote:Hey friends. It's not doom, but I put out a new record the other day. GOG meets Fennesz at the death of democracy, maybe? A really shitty Corrupted interlude record without the guitars? :lol:

This is good, and heavy nonetheless.
Good deals: DannDubbleEwe, D.o.S., nevada, lordgalvar, Jwar, baremountain, LaoWiz, Jero, Cody_Pole, goroth
dunbine

Supporter
Supporter

Postby conky » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:13 am

Sam, I use (or should say used since I just went through a major downsizing on my board) a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic for my vocals live. I use it to record at home as well. The reverbs and echo are pretty nice. Doesn't have any chorus, distortion or some of the other effects that bigger units use but it sounds great. Shroud Eater used one when we played with them and I loved it. I think Ben from Khemmis used one for a bit, too so he might be able to tell you a little more about it.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org