Most crucial trance/rave anthems

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Most crucial trance/rave anthems

Postby John Matrix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Show me your all time most epic peak time anthems. I want big, undeniable synth riffs that make the hair on your arms stand up before that kick drum comes back in and damn now my first is in the air and I didn't even notice it was happening but here it goes. More over the top the better. Instrumental preferred but I can handle vocals as long as the lyrics aren't too painful (they probably are just post it anyways fuck it). This is the kind of shit I am talking about:

dat damn 3:20 is the business
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Re: Most crucial trance/rave anthems

Postby John Matrix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:52 pm

This one is way more hamfisted and obvious but damn it does scratch the itch
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:25 am

The single that started it all (but not really there was Acid first but this was important...)

Not so much a classic of 'rave genre' but a classic for raves (awesome movie too)

This album is recent but it nails that 'classic rave' sound
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:21 pm

frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby John Matrix » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Frodog's post reminded me that this cover rules

John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby John Matrix » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Sharktooth that first track was far out and rad.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 am

John Matrix wrote:Sharktooth that first track was far out and rad.

Jah, that track more or less started hardcore. I bought the reissue on vinyl a few years ago. I forgot what the B-Side is? The second track is more a derivative of house, namely Chicago stuff ala Klein and MBO. The third is made by a dude known for making Lolicore, hard style, and night core material. I have a lot of his tunes and I love the retrospectives. I love how he takes the classic rave/trance chord progression but incorporates faster break beats.

I honestly don't listen to that many straight up 'rave' or 'trance' artists (although I do VERY MUCH enjoy both), mostly just comps and playlists. As opposed to to Drum N Bass and Jungle, I listen to tons of singles, EPs, LPs, 12's and 7's you name it!

I actually got into trance later in life and that is one of the reasons I can rationalize keeping my shitty Roland GAIA, it has three variations of the famous super saw wave!

This came out long after the summer of love was over but I think this would be up your alley. It had a real impact on 10 year old me (still one of my favs). The music video is cool too so I posted that vid. The drum triggers are borderline insane and it amazes me he did this in 2001 (you'll know the parts) let alone pre-trigger riot and eurorack drum modules. If you want to see literally the best credit sequence of all time look up the opening to ENTER THE VOID where Gapser Noe used this track.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:39 am

I wanna kiss myself

Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby John Matrix » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:51 pm

Thank you, Sharktooth. The stuff you have been posting is actually a lot more interesting than I originally had in mind when I made this post but I am glad to to have it. Honestly I am not too well versed in the history and ins and outs of this kind of music. Every now and then I encounter a track that stands out to me that I come back to over and over...but I am starting to feel the need for some new tunes.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Dig into the Metalheadz label. I love most of that stuff. I would start with SOURCE DIRECT (honestly, just because they're fresh on my mind and I'm playing some of the remasters while I work today :lol:).

A genre that has emerged over the past decade I enjoy is 'Post-Rave' and/or 'Future Garage'. One of my favorite artists of all time is BURIAL. I prefer the experimental EPs to his LPs. Check out 'Truant/Rough Sleeper' and 'Rival Dealer' those are my two favorite. RAIME is considered 'post-techno' too. I 'like them' but am not as passionate about them as BURIAL.

From BURIAL you can get into a whole discourse on his influences (i.e. Pirate Radio in the UK > Jungle > UK Garage > UK 2-Step etc.). I know you aren't big on vocals but I'm also a sucker for some NY Garage.

These are a bunch of different things with different tempos. Not claiming to be an expert, just posting things I enjoy (which is a lot).

Here is some SOURCE DIRECT off Metalheaz
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:26 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Olin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:17 pm

Achtane wrote:

This makes me want to beat up my son and I don't have a son.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby bloatedsack » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:56 pm

1991 maybe? I dunno, this was the first song that made me aware that "raves" had interesting music.
bloatedsack

committed
committed

Return to Music