Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby Inconuucl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:47 pm

I wonder, would it be possible to have a ringmod whose modulator is a delayed version of the carrier? I'm very interested to see how that would sound, probably pretty glitchy. Probably even have a pitch shift to the modulator signal... :drool:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Inconuucl » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Update on last post: patched my idea up on Audulus and had a shit ton of fun playing with it.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Yeah, this is why it should be imperative that anything calling itself a ring modulator have a carrier input option.

If the device does not allow one recorded conversation to modulate another recorded conversation (or hey, even dogs barking to the sound of goats) it fails to realize its potential.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jrfox92 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:50 pm

lordgalvar wrote:Death by Audio Crash Modulator
Death by Audio Space Ring
    -TYPE: Diode Ring

Bumping this post because I've been working on it: pretty sure the Crash Modulator uses a diode ring with an NE566 oscillator acting as input modulation (kinda like how the Space Ring uses an LM567). :snax:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:51 pm

:snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:23 am

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 pm

There's ring mods in them there hills:

https://reverb.com/item/6262579-erica-s ... 2017-black

https://reverb.com/item/6108794-mode-ma ... 016-silver

Don't know anything about 'em, but there they are. :snax:

Also, I don't know if there's ring mod on this. If there isn't, there should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMHRzni-s3w
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mosfed » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Probably the effect I have the hardest time using in a band setting. Great for bleeps and bloops at home but I struggle live. Once I got my MF-ring to do the coolest sytar sound - never found it again.
Mosfed

committed
committed

Postby Eric! » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:00 am

TFW a vision becomes reality..

Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby paulandpaul » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:26 am

I recently sold off my trusty Ring Thing for a Randy's Revenge. It's the most usable, musical, and easy to dial in ring mod I've ever used. That said, there's carrier bleed, no question about it. Luckily, I use ring modulation in a pretty subtle way, so it's not a huge deal, but I'm a little disappointing about the bleed and it will likely cause me to go back to a Mooger at some point. I emailed fairfield about this about a week ago and got no response. Wondering if it's an inevitability with this pedal or if I got a clunky one.

Anyway, aside from that issue, it's a beautiful sounding pedal.
paulandpaul

involved
involved

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:11 am

Mosfed wrote:Probably the effect I have the hardest time using in a band setting. Great for bleeps and bloops at home but I struggle live. Once I got my MF-ring to do the coolest sytar sound - never found it again.

I built a "Wolf Bagger" DIY pedal a while back, and messed with it forever to get the carrier bleed minimal, and then played with it for about a week fairly heavily, and I had a similar experience. I found all kinds of nutty shit in there, and made "mental notes" to myself on the frequency and blend positions, but then never was able to duplicate them again. I really actually liked that pedal for kind of a subtle blend option, but I doubt I'd be able to use it in a band. Obviously a shadow of a real Ring Mod, but the Dan Armstrong Green Ringer however, I have used with success in numerous applications :joy:
I am interested in building the "King Corruptor" from Fredrik at Parasit studios I believe. That one has neat stuff happening for a DIY project.
-Brett
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:30 pm

paulandpaul wrote:I recently sold off my trusty Ring Thing for a Randy's Revenge. It's the most usable, musical, and easy to dial in ring mod I've ever used. That said, there's carrier bleed, no question about it. Luckily, I use ring modulation in a pretty subtle way, so it's not a huge deal, but I'm a little disappointing about the bleed and it will likely cause me to go back to a Mooger at some point. I emailed fairfield about this about a week ago and got no response. Wondering if it's an inevitability with this pedal or if I got a clunky one.

Anyway, aside from that issue, it's a beautiful sounding pedal.

Try and level match your guitar signal with a preamp. Could also be the blend bypassing some carrier or just kinda hoping a trace. Haven't noticed any significant bleed on my RR though. Could be the IC, but I doubt it. I always expect some level of I'm balance...because perfectly balancing and matching stuff is never going to work perfectly.

Sitar sounds. Generally I tune to the open note or string for a kinda synth harmonically related tone. Then drone that out and hit notes that are harmonically related (like 5ths and stuff). The oscillator on the pedals drifts a bit and has a wide range to dial in on the imprecise knob. Best to retune the guitar and carrier frequency each time....the slightest variance in intonation or .2 hz can throw things off.

A bit of bleed/hotter carrier can help sustain the note longer sometimes too. Change the amplitude of the instrument to let the carrier kind of shine though and to manipulate what the ear picks out easier.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:47 am

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:21 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:13 pm

I have yet to find a ring mod that really speaks to me, I mean they are fun and yeah most of my playing is solo and spacing out so I've enjoyed every one I've played. That being said I'm excited to try the ring stinger clone a couple of handy gentleman are working on.. seems to do everything I'm interested in. And it has a ton of knobs
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear