2017 Punk Rock

Moderator: Ghost Hip

2017 Punk Rock

Postby chuckjaywalk » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:02 pm

With things as they are, I feel like there should be good punk rock now. I mean, the Reagan era made for amazing hardcore. What's out there now?
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: 2017 Punk Rock

Postby tremolo3 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Nothing cool, that's why skramz is having a revival, power violence too it seems.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ugly Nora » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:21 pm

The Dow has set 44 new record closing highs since the 2016 presidential election.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby More_Divebombs » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:54 pm

New LIMP WRIST album next month. It will most likely rule all.

New Propagandhi coming soon too.

Was the Mothercountry Motherfuckers LP this year? If it was 2016, it was late. Either way, it's a ripper. Anything Sarah Kirsch was involved in was excellent.
Stupid (mostly electronic) music - https://wulfexe.bandcamp.com
More_Divebombs

committed
committed

Postby Lemyisgod » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:32 pm

I just released this comp on my label. Some of the bands my band has played with over the past few years that have been really good.
http://akashitacorporation.bandcamp.com/album/innovations-in-sound-and-communication
Lemyisgod

involved
involved

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:46 am

Chuck, check out the youtube channel JIMMY. He is semi-retired now but there is a wealth of excellent present day punk.
I know you are into post-punk / goth rock / death rock material like myself. I think you would like INSTITUTE a lot. The older material is great but they did release a new LP this year which I have had on heavy repeat.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:47 am

Also the 'Fucked By Noise' blog and 'Cut & Paste' blog are excellent resources for punk, hardcore, d-beat, power violence - anything in that spectrum.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 pm

That new Propagandhi single isn't bad, but it's pretty formulaic for them.

Metal riff to start, sustained chords with some indignant vocabulary words, harmony, riff riff riff
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:57 pm

vitriol put out a ton of good punk/hardcore records out last year. waiting to see if they'll release anything this year.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PanicProne » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:53 pm

neonblack wrote:That new Propagandhi single isn't bad, but it's pretty formulaic for them.

Metal riff to start, sustained chords with some indignant vocabulary words, harmony, riff riff riff

I agree that they've become a liitle bit more predictable for every new record they put out since Potemkin but I still really enjoy what they do.
Imo they've kinda created their own sound/genre and in that area no one does it better.
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Postby frodog » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:29 pm

frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby More_Divebombs » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:46 pm

Disagree about Propagandhi being predictable.

The new single in isolation sounds distinctly Propagandhi, though I'm looking forward to hearing it in context with the record. I don't expect the LP to be a bunch of songs that sound just like that.

However, Failed States has many songs on it touching on sounds and structures they've not really come close to before. The opening track being a huge example. They've never done anything that sounded anything like that. Lots of songs incorporating the 2nd guitar player much more, making them sound like a bigger, much more layered band than they did before. That record was a huge shift sonically. Moreso than you see from the vast majority of punk bands. Punk bands don't usually add a 2nd guitar player 20 years later.

On the record before it, again, the opening track is massively different to anything that has come before. All of Todd's songs are incredibly fresh and unlike what he brought to the recordings prior. Dear Coach's Corner, Human(e) Meat, Potemkin City Limits, Without Love are hugely melodic vocally, which wasn't something they'd focused on before. They had 2 guitars on this record, but the new guy had just joined, and it's much less pronounced than what they did with Failed States.

Now they've got a different 2nd guitar player and I'd read she has contributed material to this new record. I'd be surprised if it's Propagandhi by numbers, if there was such a thing. I'd struggle to name a punk band that push the envelope with each new record than Propagandhi do.
Stupid (mostly electronic) music - https://wulfexe.bandcamp.com
More_Divebombs

committed
committed

Postby gnomethrone » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:30 pm

I picked up the new Integrity album today - would give it 4 out of 5 fire emojis. I wish it had more slow jams but I'm probably in the minority on that.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PanicProne » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:35 pm

More_Divebombs wrote:Disagree about Propagandhi being predictable.

The new single in isolation sounds distinctly Propagandhi, though I'm looking forward to hearing it in context with the record. I don't expect the LP to be a bunch of songs that sound just like that.

However, Failed States has many songs on it touching on sounds and structures they've not really come close to before. The opening track being a huge example. They've never done anything that sounded anything like that. Lots of songs incorporating the 2nd guitar player much more, making them sound like a bigger, much more layered band than they did before. That record was a huge shift sonically. Moreso than you see from the vast majority of punk bands. Punk bands don't usually add a 2nd guitar player 20 years later.

On the record before it, again, the opening track is massively different to anything that has come before. All of Todd's songs are incredibly fresh and unlike what he brought to the recordings prior. Dear Coach's Corner, Human(e) Meat, Potemkin City Limits, Without Love are hugely melodic vocally, which wasn't something they'd focused on before. They had 2 guitars on this record, but the new guy had just joined, and it's much less pronounced than what they did with Failed States.

Now they've got a different 2nd guitar player and I'd read she has contributed material to this new record. I'd be surprised if it's Propagandhi by numbers, if there was such a thing. I'd struggle to name a punk band that push the envelope with each new record than Propagandhi do.

Ok ok, maybe "predictable" is the wrong word. Perhaps "formulaic" as neon stated, is a better word. At least it doesn't have that negative sound to it.
They certainly push the limits of "punk", although I'm not sure that label works for them anymore, in a good way, and I do enjoy what they're doing! As mentioned I'm stoked on what Sulynn has brought into the band.
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:40 pm

but.. punk stopped being relevant since July 1st 1987...
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to Music