IdiotBox Effects tourbox of the U.S. on the endless boogie!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: IdiotBox Effects tourbox of the U.S. on the mo'fuckin' m

Postby BossMann73 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:22 am

odontophobia wrote:
BossMann73 wrote:Those who know me and my pedal history know I went thru a huge Idiotbox phase about two years ago. I love his pedals sound and looks and I am using the Landphil as my primary preamp/od/dist, but if there is one thing that always frustrated me about Matt's creations is that he never seems to know when a good EXP input is needed. His whores is begging for exp control over the filter, and there seems to be plenty of room to put one in, but none. This makes the pedal very static and somewhat uninteresting to me. I had one for a few months and ended up with a Boss FT-2 so I could do the filter sweeps I had wished the Whores could do. I didn't really think the Fuzz in the whores was anything to write home about on bass overall though.

IMHO the pedals that could benefit more from EXP are the aforementioned Whores, the Dungeon Master to control bass amount (turning it into an on-the-fly lo-fi machine, and for the Dist knob on the Landphil so it could be a more flexible preamp (essentially giving me 3 pedals in one). I realize these are obscure requests, particularly for the DM and the L, but in general I think Matt's gotta embrace EXP a little more in his designs.

Having not played these pedals I can't comment one way or another but I think it's worth noting that matt's prices are some of the best when it comes to boutique pedals. Prices wouldn't change too much due to parts but it adds up, especially when you start considering the time it takes.

Probably easy enough to mod though... best of both worlds?

Definitely a good point and one I didn't consider. His prices are still pretty much the best out there for sure. I have emailed him a few times in the past about modding for EXP and although he wrote back his usual "I'm stoked for that idea" email, it never happened. I don't remember whether the interest fizzled out on his end or my end, but there never was a follow up about doing the work. Never held it against him though since I know these dudes are too busy cranking out pedals to worry about a 20 dollar mod. But man, if I could get EXP on my Landphil, it would replace 2 other pedals on my board for sure. And with effects, I'm personally all about doing more with less. My goal is two pedals and a tuner max.
BossMann73

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 am

Yeah -- I've contemplated doing the Boss DD/RV/MD 500 route alongside a tuner and volume pedal and calling it a day. It could still happen, haha.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:15 am

BossMann73 wrote: His whores is begging for exp control over the filter, and there seems to be plenty of room to put one in, but none.

I agree with you about the expression on the Whores (as I stated in my review of it earlier in the thread), but also keep in mind that it's Christian from Whores signature pedal and maybe he didn't think it needed expression control (as I also stated earlier in the thread). It's quite possible he was only gonna use it for cocked wah sounds and had no plans to sweep the filter. :idk:

odontophobia wrote:
Having not played these pedals I can't comment one way or another ...

You will be playin' these pedals very shortly… :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BossMann73 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
BossMann73 wrote: His whores is begging for exp control over the filter, and there seems to be plenty of room to put one in, but none.
I agree with you about the expression on the Whores (as I stated in my review of it earlier in the thread), but also keep in mind that it's Christian from Whores signature pedal and maybe he didn't think it needed expression control (as I also stated earlier in the thread). It's quite possible he was only gonna use it for cocked wah sounds and had no plans to sweep the filter. :idk:

I hear what you're saying and it makes sense, but I'd have added it regardless. It doesn't take anything away from the pedal and it's such a useful feature. Perhaps they didn't even think of it? Either way, cool pedal, but I'm glad I sold mine off since it wasn't being used very much.
BossMann73

committed
committed

Postby shojin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Chank... Adam told me I'm cleared to get on the IdiotBox tour box. I'm stoked! PM me for my address.I'm shojin here on ILF.

Matt
shojin

interested
interested

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:31 pm

Guess who has the tourbox now? :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby odontophobia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:18 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Guess who has the tourbox now? :snax:

THIS GUY.

Should be getting some good, loud time in with it tomorrow night. Not sure what i'll whip up demo wise but i'll try to deliver on some content.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:51 am

Signature pedals are cool and all but having a trimmer that super usable on the inside of the box is not cool. I flipped my Whores pedal for several reasons, but that was the most annoying aspect of it.

I don't use expression a lot except with filters, so I'm kind of not in that boat but adding more controls on the outside of the box versus the inside is always a plus because I won't open it. I just won't.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 am

Also can you move my position in this Chank? I'm going to the ILF meetup during the 4-6th and am afraid these will come right at that exact same time.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:06 am

Sure thing, jwar, if baremountain's not goin', I'll just flip you in the order with him. If he is, then we'll figure something out.

Also, there's nothing stopping you from bringing the tourbox with you to the meetup. Of course, you'd get some extra time with it to make up for it.

Just let me know what you wanna do. :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:43 pm

Hell that could work! I'd bring it and let others check it out! Maybe that's the best course of action?

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:45 pm

:thumb:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Tourbox making special appearance @ILFMW2017 August 5th -6th!
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Someone, please, remind jwar not to forgot to take the tourbox with him when he heads home. :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:15 am

He got it. There was a lot going on but we played the box a little bit
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear