IdiotBox Effects tourbox of the U.S. on the endless boogie!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: IdiotBox Effects tourbox of the U.S. on the mo'fuckin' m

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:17 am

You're welcome, guys! I'm sure Matt's stoked to get everybody's opinions on these no matter what instrument or noise source is used with 'em.

Thanks for the vids, JonnyAngle! (Thanks for reminding people that the Whores has an internal trimmer.) :doom: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Gregmon79 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:46 pm

So I got them in. And I've only had a couple hours with all them so far. First initial thoughts:

I really like the landphil. It's just as bad ass as the blower box but it has some different EQ options is all. I'm not sure yet if it's enough for me to sacrifice that much room to make a switch going from the BB to the landphil though. My BB has an FET boost modded into it. I did it a month or so after I got mine. So it has some extra sauce to it. But those extra EQ points on the landphil sure are nice to have.

The power boost is pretty great. I'll be honest, I was a tad underwhelmed at first. But I need to spend some time with it. Same with the whores fuzz. I was expecting more saturation for some reason. I need to mess with the trimmer in there a little. The landphil also has an internal trim. I believe it's for the amount of low end. It seems that way anyway.

As far as the static fuzz goes, I used to have one so I can't say I've spent too much time with it. But I def like how the white noise effects the fuzz. It really fills the signal in nicely with more mass and seems to saturate the fuzz a little more. Really makes for a mean and noisy fuzz. But I'll have more to add in the coming days. Hopefully I'll have a practice with them. I may not get one. But hopefully. I'll also try and get some sound samples up with bass this weekend.
I LOVE THE MUFF!!

Killing gods new EP is now available! http://killinggodsofficial.bandcamp.com ... pe-2015-ep
Gregmon79

involved
involved

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:26 pm

NIce. :!!!:

I read this...

Gregmon79 wrote: I was expecting more saturation for some reason.

and was gonna say you should mess with the trimmer. Then I read your next sentence:

Gregmon79 wrote: I need to mess with the trimmer in there a little.

:lol:

I don't think I even opened up the Landphil. So, I didn't ask Matt about the trimmer in it. I can PM him if anybody's interested in what it actually does. Otherwise, I guess you can just fool around with it.

That PowerBoost is kinda like a utility infielder or something. Very versatile on the field.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:42 pm

All this trimmer talk has me bummed I didn't investigate deeper, hahahaha.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:59 am

I tried to investigate, but the screws were secured in on the Landphil, maybe glued or something. It might have just been really well screwed in with the temperature changes and whatnot, but I didn't want to try too hard though for fear of damaging a pedal that wasn't mine. yet
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gregmon79 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Yeah the screws came out fairly easy for me. I almost always check for internal trims when I get a pedal unless I know for certain it doesn't have any. Plus I always like seeing the guts. And smelling them haha

Anyway I'm almost positive the trimmer in the landphil is a low end boost or cut. Because all it really does is make it fatter almost dub or less fat. I didn't notice it having any effect on the gain. Just low end. This circuit has always seemed to excel at the low end so maybe it's there for guitarists? Not sure. But it most def is effecting the low end content. Pretty cool. I wish it had a mid control. That has been one of the biggest complaints, of the few, I've ever heard of the blower box, that it's scooped. And it can be depending. But I dig that. It gives it some serious sag. Makes it really unique. But that extra controls attached the high and low on it, I think that you can get some mid action happening with those. Seems as such anyway. And with my added FET boost to my BB, it gives it that extra umpff in the mix.

I'm not sure I'll be able to get these bad boys in a live mix. We have a show this week instead of practice and I almost assuredly won't be diving in to a trial by fire with these. It's too much. So I'll most likely just be getting some YouTube or SoundCloud demos up eventually. And of course with some more opinions.

It's like I may have said earlier, I didn't think much of the whores fuzz at first. But then I plugged it into my board and was like yeaaaaahhhhh. It sounds really good on my board. And that filter on there could make for some seriously sick dynamics in a song. Especially on bass. So far I like it the most. I mean, I love the landphil too. I've always loved the blower box circuit. Always will. But even with the added EQ controls of the landphil, I don't think it would be enough for me to make the space for a pedal of that size. Id be happy staying with the BB. But I could totally see myself getting the whores. Really cool pedal.
I LOVE THE MUFF!!

Killing gods new EP is now available! http://killinggodsofficial.bandcamp.com ... pe-2015-ep
Gregmon79

involved
involved

Postby Gregmon79 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:31 pm

I may actually run the whores at our show on wed. It's been pretty much impossible for me to run anything at a louder volume with the girls kids on summer break and her work schedule now. I used to have slots of time in a day where I could bump stuff to really try it out. But lately it's been tough. So I may just have to run the whores at our show. Still not totally sure though. Sucks. I'm not even sure I'll be able to do any demos dammit. Fuckin kids! Haha
I LOVE THE MUFF!!

Gregmon79

involved
involved

Postby Gregmon79 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:01 pm

I think I just figured out what the internal trim on the landphil does. I'm pretty sure it's an overall output to the pedal. It's turned up about 65, maybe 70% of the way. I took it to maybe 90, 95%. This pedal seriously rips. It also adds some gain to the gain too. But it def adds overall output to the whole she'bangabang.

I'm warming to the controls too. Those top three are like a rotary EQ or something. Def not what I'm used to. But you can get some crazy sound with them.
I LOVE THE MUFF!!

Gregmon79

involved
involved

Postby odontophobia » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 am

Chank, did you ever reach out to/hear back from matt about the trimpots?

also -- trimpot messer-withers are you guys resetting when you're done? I'm game to mix things up but want to try to run where "intended" before getting all fucky.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:00 am

odontophobia wrote:Chank, did you ever reach out to/hear back from matt about the trimpots?

:|: :idk:

I'll PM Matt and ask. I'll also ask him about "factory settings". :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:15 am

Straight from the pen of Atarimatt:

"As for the trimmers, the one in the landphil controls the output from the modded blowerbox circuit (which is all of the top knobs and the one on the topside below the DIST knob) into the extra high/low EQ circuit(two knobs on the topside below the HIGH/LOW knobs) which is basically like a Sonic Maximizer. I set that trimmer straight in the middle.

For the WHORES trimmer I usually set it about 3 oclock. Turning that one counter clockwise should eventually start to gate the fuzz."

He also said he's diggin' everybody's feedback on the pedals so far. :thumb: :doom:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby baremountain » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:29 am

ahhh I'm so stoked to get these!!
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Gregmon79 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Yeah I was planing on resetting the trims to where they were when I got them before shipping to the next in line.
I LOVE THE MUFF!!

Gregmon79

involved
involved

Postby adamaarts » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Is it too late to join??? I'd love to have a shot at these, maybe make a demo or two.

Gregmon can vouch for me, I've been on TalkBass since 2001.

YouTube.com/adamaarts as well.
adamaarts

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Jwar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:40 pm

I can vouch for Adam as well. Great guy, great demos!
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear