What are you reading?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are you reading?

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:15 pm

In the past few weeks I got really into reading again. I've finished several books, not sure if I can remember them all:
Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix - fairly entertaining horror/comedy story. Not amazing, but not terrible
Discovering Scarfolk by Richard Littler - I really enjoyed this one. So much effort was put into the backstory of Scarfolk. Really absurd and surreal
At the Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft - my first foray into Lovecraft and I absolutely loved it
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy - this is probably the first book I've ever read where the book is identical to the movie
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Faldoe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Faldoe

Postby Iommic Pope » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:21 pm

raj007 wrote:Just started Dune. Never read before.

Yeah you're gonna love it.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Iommic Pope wrote:

I almost bought Dune this week. The only reason I held off was because I know there are several sequels and I'm the kind of person who a) is a completionist and has to finish everything, and b) doesn't like reading huge long series' because I generally lose interest. So yeah, how important are the sequels/the entire series?
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby dozicusmaximus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:01 pm

I started 1Q84 by Murakami a few months ago on vacation. I need to pick it back up.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:02 pm

Oh I also have Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and The City & the City on the way...finally. With how much I love Blade Runner, I really can't believe I still haven't read Do Androids...
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby OldGeorge » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:43 am

MrNovember wrote:
Iommic Pope wrote:

I almost bought Dune this week. The only reason I held off was because I know there are several sequels and I'm the kind of person who a) is a completionist and has to finish everything, and b) doesn't like reading huge long series' because I generally lose interest. So yeah, how important are the sequels/the entire series?

Read the first one, loved it. I have read none.of the others but I hear 2 is bad but 3 was good...? I dunno and don't have that problem with books if they wrap up well with the exception of Harry Potter.

Expecto Patronum!!!

Apologies I'm very drunk =)
OldGeorge

committed
committed

Postby The Eristic » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:00 am

dozicusmaximus wrote:I started 1Q84 by Murakami a few months ago on vacation. I need to pick it back up.

I read Kafka on the Shore recently. First thing I'd read from him, was really impressed.

Reading a collection of Thomas Mann's short stories at the moment. Don't think I've read anyone who could write so evocatively about and load so much meaning and implication into mundane things.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby Lurker13 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:34 pm

kaeth wrote:That all makes sense, and sounds like good advice, thanks. I'll have to push through, and maybe just slow down and pay closer attention.

People have been telling me to read different Vonnegut books left and right lately. I've only read Cat's Cradle, but I dug it quite a bit.

I forgot to mention another technique - give it a light reading first, then go back and read it more studiously. Since you are reading a book on philosophy, you could do that by chapter, or if the chapters are subdivided into sections, by section (or whatever else works for you).
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby samzadgan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:18 pm

i recently got a collection of short stories of Richard Brautigan...this one is called Revenge of the Lawn.

I really want to get Loading Mercury with a Pitchfork, but can't find any copies in Australia.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Kacey Y » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:10 am

I recently got some Kurt Vonnegut collections (early novels through Breakfast of Champions) from the local library. I've been trying to read Sirens of Titan, but my free time is so short lately I'm averaging about a chapter a week in 5 minute increments.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:55 am

Not sure if I posted but Cosey Fanni Tutti's autobiography was a great read.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:43 pm

MrNovember wrote:
Iommic Pope wrote:

All the original sequels (i.e. written by Frank Herbert) are pretty good (at least up to God Emperor which is a highlight, but the latter two are definitely less good).

I've never read any of the other books done by Brian Herbert and others, and the general advice I've been given is don't.

Entirely possible to enjoy Dune as a standalone book if you so choose. I understand the completionist impulse though, it's why I read all the original books and I still feel a little conflicted over not reading the others but there are so many good books to read I shouldn't give time to things I've been told plenty of times are disappointing.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:45 pm

All of the Dune books are rad. The Frank Herbert ones are "the best" but the rest of them are great fun too. I got a bunch of them out at the library, though -- I wouldn't say many past the first four are really worth owning.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Corey Y wrote:I recently got some Kurt Vonnegut collections (early novels through Breakfast of Champions) from the local library. I've been trying to read Sirens of Titan, but my free time is so short lately I'm averaging about a chapter a week in 5 minute increments.

Ha that's part of why I like it. I mostly just read on my lunch break bc home is too busy with the kids. Kurt is simple enough to pick up and put down and not be lost each time.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion