Poorly executed blends and well executed blends

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Poorly executed blends and well executed blends

Postby BossMann73 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:15 am

Curious to see how bassists who use dirt with blends are finding the quality of their blend circuits. Some seem to be great, like the Darkglass A/O and the Left Hand Wrath Deluxe, and some others are not so great with phase issues, volume dropoffs, fuzz-above-the-clean sound not meshing etc.

Please list your favorites and not so favorites.

I'm really liking the blend in my Left Hand Wrath Deluxe. Out of all the pedals I own (owned) it seems to be the only one besides the darkglass where the clean tone seems to be connected to my dirty tone and they sit really well together. As an example of one I'm not crazy about I don't really like the blend on the TAFM, but I know I'm in the minority there.

I wonder why there are so many differences in performance of these circuits? You'd think it would be a fairly straightforward thing to design a good clean blend, but since I'm no engineer, I don't know.
Last edited by BossMann73 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BossMann73

committed
committed

Re: Shittily executed blends and well executed blends

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:39 am

I like the blend on the tafm so :idk:

I like the blend on The Elements too.

I'm not a huge user of clean blend, prefer fuzz with enough low end to not need it, but I like it on those two whenever I do feel like using it.

Better though is a dirty blend like on the BDSM. Two parallel dirt circuits is more interesting.

I know I've had several other pedals with blends in the past but I can't remember what they were! :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby O Drones » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:07 pm

Blend on my TAFM rules tbh
O Drones

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Olin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Also love the blend on the TAFM, but I'm using it on a pretty low tuned guitar so maybe my comment is irrelevant? What don't you like about the TAFM specifically?
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BossMann73 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Olin wrote:Also love the blend on the TAFM, but I'm using it on a pretty low tuned guitar so maybe my comment is irrelevant? What don't you like about the TAFM specifically?

I can't quite put my finger on it actually. Just something about how the blended signal sounds a little too separated from the fuzz. I know it has a switch to change the phase, but I am running it in the "correct" position. It's almost like a hollowness to the sound if that makes any sense. The LEft Hand Wrath Deluxe is not only a pretty killer pedal (although I despise the builders business practices) and it has a really solid sounding blend. Much more of an integrated sound than the TAFM, IMO. I knew I was going to get some pushback from the TAFM folks, but opinions are what makes the world go round after all. Thanks for the replies.
BossMann73

committed
committed

Postby MechaGodzilla » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:59 pm

TAFM blend rules, in both modes. It's a "dirty" clean blend after all, meant for more than a regular blend.

Blend on the Fredric scrambler clone works well, too.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BossMann73 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:24 pm

vidret wrote:
BossMann73 wrote:
Olin wrote:Also love the blend on the TAFM, but I'm using it on a pretty low tuned guitar so maybe my comment is irrelevant? What don't you like about the TAFM specifically?

I can't quite put my finger on it actually. Just something about how the blended signal sounds a little too separated from the fuzz. I know it has a switch to change the phase, but I am running it in the "correct" position. It's almost like a hollowness to the sound if that makes any sense. The LEft Hand Wrath Deluxe is not only a pretty killer pedal (although I despise the builders business practices) and it has a really solid sounding blend. Much more of an integrated sound than the TAFM, IMO. I knew I was going to get some pushback from the TAFM folks, but opinions are what makes the world go round after all. Thanks for the replies.

Maybe if the circuit puts out frequencies that are so different to what your clean sound has going (say a bass without mids or treble, and then the circuit pushes only treble) it feels like the circuit sits "on top" of your cleans.

If the circuit takes the frequencies your clean has and builds on that your clean blend might sound a bit more natural, like a progression.

only a thought.

Thanks Vidret. I couldn't quite understand what you were trying to say here, but I appreciate the reply. I am using a normal stock P bass. Some pedals seem to just have a better blend circuit than others.
BossMann73

committed
committed

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Not trying to say you're wrong or anything with the tafm and I don't think anyone else is, if it doesn't work for you that's no problem for me. All sound things are ultimately extremely subjective.

You ever tried using a dedicated blender or rubbing parallel signal chains so you can blend anything and everything? That can be super fun

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby actual » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:30 pm

BossMann73 wrote:
Thanks Vidret. I couldn't quite understand what you were trying to say here, but I appreciate the reply. I am using a normal stock P bass. Some pedals seem to just have a better blend circuit than others.

:lol:

He's saying that if the characteristics of the wet signal are too different from those of the clean signal, ie. your p-bass sounding hollow with the fuzz perhaps being mids heavy, this could cause the blend to sound unnaturally layered as opposed to sounding like one unified sound.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Infanem Driving Notion is a great blend circuit too! :love:

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BossMann73 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:55 pm

actualidiot wrote:
BossMann73 wrote:

:lol:

He's saying that if the characteristics of the wet signal are too different from those of the clean signal, ie. your p-bass sounding hollow with the fuzz perhaps being mids heavy, this could cause the blend to sound unnaturally layered as opposed to sounding like one unified sound.

ah, ok, that makes sense now. Thanks.
BossMann73

committed
committed

Postby PanicProne » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:12 pm

I was constantly disappointed with blends. Then I tried Dr Scientist. First an Elements and then a Frazz.
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Re: Poorly executed blends and well executed blends

Postby Ghost Hip » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:37 pm

I use a TAFM through a Sanamp and Ampeg rig with a Tele Bass. The gate is always on. I like the way it works with those. I imagine if didn't have an aggressive clean tone the TAFM would be pretty bland sounding as I don't like the way it sounds with guitar through a clean amp.

I generally don't care for clean blends on dirt pedals otherwise. Like you said it just seems too separate and not unified. I think clean blends are most useful in blending two dirty tones together.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:49 pm

PanicProne wrote:I was constantly disappointed with blends. Then I tried Dr Scientist. First an Elements and then a Frazz.

The Frazz :love:
I loved the TAFM blend when I had it as well. I miss that pedal and have been considering getting one again.
I'm also definitely a fan of messing with parallel chains (and feedback loops, but that's a bit off topic). I use a Patchulator and Fewtility One to do this.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Re: Poorly executed blends and well executed blends

Postby PeteeBee » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:54 pm

I'm never crazy about blends either long term. I have fun with them for a little then they get bumped off. I'd like to see a clean blend with separate outs for each, so I could then have other stuff going on separate.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to General Gear