Meris? Blade Runnery? Ottobit, Polymoon & Enzo!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Meris? Blade Runner inspired reverb? & Ottobits too!!!

Postby Sasquatch » Wed May 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Interstellar Burst wrote:On the volume issue though, I'm finding that the filter knob has a really interactive relationship with the bit and sample controls. What seems like a weak and anaemic signal suddenly comes back to life when you roll off the filter. I found that quite counter-intuitive at first, but perhaps those more familiar with bit crushers are well used to this phenomenon?

It’s partly due to the nature of these types of effects, Sample Rate Decimation and Bit Reduction/Crushing are nonlinear, and pretty destructive, and the Filter is subtractive. Sometimes it helps to start from a neutral position when dialing in a sound. For all 3 of those controls (top row knobs), putting them at max means they aren’t affecting you sound.

They are in series, so their individual impact on the sound can add up.
Here’s the basic signal flow: In->Stutter->Sample Rate->Bit Crushing->Pitch Sequence->Filter->Out
Angelo Mazzocco
DSP Engineer / VP
http://www.meris.us
Sasquatch

involved
involved

Postby Interstellar Burst » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:27 am

Thanks for the response! That signal chain order info is really interesting.

I just received a DMC-3 MIDI controller which has massively opened this up - it really is what I've been searching for all these years to fulfil my Jonny Greenwood fantasies and so much more. I haven't been able to get the expression pedal to work over MIDI yet, but I'm hoping that will change when I update the controller's firmware...
Interstellar Burst

involved
involved

Postby Jwar » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:27 am

I still haven't got a chance to grab a midi controller. It's mostly due to the fact that I can't stop buying pedals...hahaha.

I will say, I accidentally made some insane off beat sequence with the Ottobit Jr that I absolutely love. Hahaha. I wish I knew how I did it. I did it before I went on vacation, came back and completely forgot I had done it. Soooooooo...yea.....I'd love to save it as a preset. Maybe it's time to just bit the bullet.

Would I still be able to save it if I got a midi controller?? Or would it disappear when I attach the two?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Sasquatch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Interstellar Burst wrote:Thanks for the response! That signal chain order info is really interesting.

I just received a DMC-3 MIDI controller which has massively opened this up - it really is what I've been searching for all these years to fulfil my Jonny Greenwood fantasies and so much more. I haven't been able to get the expression pedal to work over MIDI yet, but I'm hoping that will change when I update the controller's firmware...

Awesome! The Stutter on Random with some decently slow tempos absolutely puts you square into Johnny Greenwood territory. I'm using a DMC4gen3, and having the expression pedal at the same time as preset recall opens up a whole world of possibilities.
Angelo Mazzocco
DSP Engineer / VP
Sasquatch

involved
involved

Postby Sasquatch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:40 pm

jwar wrote:I still haven't got a chance to grab a midi controller. It's mostly due to the fact that I can't stop buying pedals...hahaha.

I will say, I accidentally made some insane off beat sequence with the Ottobit Jr that I absolutely love. Hahaha. I wish I knew how I did it. I did it before I went on vacation, came back and completely forgot I had done it. Soooooooo...yea.....I'd love to save it as a preset. Maybe it's time to just bit the bullet.

Stumbling on accidental sounds is my favorite part of the Ottobit Jr.!
I've spent more than a year with it and I'm still coming up with new stuff.
I'm constantly saving presets every time something like that happens to me.

jwar wrote: Would I still be able to save it if I got a midi controller?? Or would it disappear when I attach the two?

Absolutely, save still works when attaching a controller.

Unrelated side note: you have to try Ottobit Jr. on vocals. The pitch sequencer and stutter are mind-bending when you run vocals through them.
Angelo Mazzocco
DSP Engineer / VP
Sasquatch

involved
involved

Postby Jwar » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
jwar wrote:I still haven't got a chance to grab a midi controller. It's mostly due to the fact that I can't stop buying pedals...hahaha.

Stumbling on accidental sounds is my favorite part of the Ottobit Jr.!
I've spent more than a year with it and I'm still coming up with new stuff.
I'm constantly saving presets every time something like that happens to me.

jwar wrote: Would I still be able to save it if I got a midi controller?? Or would it disappear when I attach the two?

Absolutely, save still works when attaching a controller.

Unrelated side note: you have to try Ottobit Jr. on vocals. The pitch sequencer and stutter are mind-bending when you run vocals through them.

Awesome news!!!

I haven't tried a mic yet, but I do have one laying here... :idea:

LOL!

Thanks for the quick responses!

Any plans on doing a pitch shifter ala Pitchfactor type of deal? I know Strymon hasn't, which baffles me, but I bet you guys could make a pretty mean one.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby njschneider2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:15 am

I just wanted to bump this, because the Ottobit is f***ing awesome, and I want to see what more people have to say about it!
njschneider2

involved
involved

Postby Eric! » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:17 pm

WANT. NEED. MUST GET.

Anyone have a favorite MIDI controller for it yet? Midi Mouse?
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:40 pm

njschneider2 wrote:I just wanted to bump this, because the Ottobit is f***ing awesome, and I want to see what more people have to say about it!

They talk about it a lot on the latest ILFcast episode. They're not overly enthusiastic about it though. :erm:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:44 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:
njschneider2 wrote:I just wanted to bump this, because the Ottobit is f***ing awesome, and I want to see what more people have to say about it!

They talk about it a lot on the latest ILFcast episode. They're not overly enthusiastic about it though. :erm:

Nobody listens to those. :) lol

It's something you have to work with. It's a great pedal.

I actually had to sell mine recently because of buying my friends grave stone marker. :( So I'll hopefully be getting another one in the near future. I also though about getting the modular version. I could see it being much more useful that way since I have that Folktek incoming in the next couple of months.

The fucking Merc7 is still the best though!

The only thing I have a bit of an issue with is where to put it in my chain. Normally I don't have that issue but this guy likes to over power other effects. So it almost seems like I need it more towards the end. Anyone else find this?

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby ritz » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm still getting along well with mine. Has it's quirks but it has a lot going for it in a little package.
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

multi_s wrote: i want something that gives my third eye a rim job.
ritz

experienced
experienced

Postby Jwar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:49 pm

ritz wrote:I'm still getting along well with mine. Has it's quirks but it has a lot going for it in a little package.

Before I had to sell mine, I had found some crazy ass sequence that was just insane. I loved it. So, I'm definitely missing it already. :(

It will be mine again!!!!

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:48 pm

jwar wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:

Hey now. We have like 1400 downloads. :zen:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cantremember » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:39 pm

jwar wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:

It's something you have to work with. It's a great pedal.

I actually had to sell mine recently because of buying my friends grave stone marker. :( So I'll hopefully be getting another one in the near future. I also though about getting the modular version. I could see it being much more useful that way since I have that Folktek incoming in the next couple of months.

The fucking Merc7 is still the best though!

The only thing I have a bit of an issue with is where to put it in my chain. Normally I don't have that issue but this guy likes to over power other effects. So it almost seems like I need it more towards the end. Anyone else find this?

I ended up putting the merc7 at the end of my chain for this very reason. I wanted to put it up front but I kept my rm1n up there because it's has a volume knob.
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby Ev_O))) » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:50 am

jwar wrote: I also though about getting the modular version. I could see it being much more useful that way since I have that Folktek incoming in the next couple of months.

Hey man just a heads up, the rack mountable ottobit is a 500 series module, not a eurorack/synth module, so there would be no added benefit or extra interfacing ability with ya folktek stuff, it's still a straight ahead audio processing unit. Also, it's more $ and mono.
I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear