Let's see your AMP!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby JereFuzz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:34 pm

Here's one that's now up and running - everything works but I had the breaker switch replaced with a fuse and the speakers are not original - I have an Eminence Ramrod and Carvin 10 PA speaker in it ... no scratchy pots and the reverb is great ... gets old school Fender dirty with the volume past 6, my first photo on ILF:

“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby actual » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:04 am

Innnnn :D

Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby waltdogg » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:02 pm

i'd love to have a sunn studio lead again.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:43 pm

waltdogg wrote:i'd love to have a sunn studio lead again.

:!!!: Know what's funny I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO COMMENT ... I found an old post, 1985 I think, where you posted that you bought the amp and another post that you sold the same amp :lol: I think it was on a different forum ... it's a great sounding amp. The overdrive is nice and creamy, in the vein of a EHX muff or double muff (NOT BIG MUFF). I'm shocked solid state from 1972 sounds this good. Solid state amps sucked when fender started pushing them out in the late 60s, from what I read. You really can't find this amp around for sale anymore. I picked mine up from a pawn shop in Austin (a shop affiliated with Maverick pawn shops) and it was a disaster. Some moron put 2X12 speakers in it and did all this weird crap carpentry work to make the speakers fit in the amp. The light turned on but no sound was produced. Owner just said "out the door for $90" ... I took it with no hesitation. Surprisingly, the integrity of the cabinet and electronics was excellent. The reverb did not work. I took everything apart and was shocked at how good the amp sounded (no scratchy pots too!). I tried to find a replacement breaker switch to no avail. I tried to find a replacement reverb tank to no avail. I broke down and took it to an amp shop. Previously wasted a lot of time and money buying shit to make it work ... now everything is great. EVERYTHING! Except the weight :(
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:06 pm

lolol. yeah, i foolishly sold mine to a yokel back in orange county and never saved his number.

agreed. the studio is probably one of *the* best sounding low wattage, great breakup, takes pedals like a champ amp ever. superior to my ampeg g-18 easily.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cloudsabove » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:23 am

It should be better, but I've left the Vox cab in the rehearsal room :lol:
cloudsabove

interested
interested

Postby captainchair » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Trying this new MIG50 out. Wayyy to loud for the apt so I'm taking it to the studio this weekend.

EDIT: Yes that is a SOVTEK face plate sitting on top of the orange. I know it seems odd but I really don't care for the electro-harmonix text and even though it isn't a true Sovtek (nearly identical but not) I still might swap out the face plate. Dumb?
captainchair

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby rickenbastard » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:03 pm

I got it Monday. Tried it solo Monday night then at band practice last night. Best gear purchase I've ever made. It's unbelievable how good this thing sounds. They tweaked the mids on it so I can get the vintage Marshall Lemmy sound too. Sounds like a perfect blend of Lemmy and Dopesmoker.
Attachments
Smaller Matamp.jpg
rickenbastard

committed
committed

Postby Cisco » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:11 am

rickenbastard wrote:I got it Monday. Tried it solo Monday night then at band practice last night. Best gear purchase I've ever made. It's unbelievable how good this thing sounds. They tweaked the mids on it so I can get the vintage Marshall Lemmy sound too. Sounds like a perfect blend of Lemmy and Dopesmoker.

200?
Cisco

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:18 am

captainchair wrote:Image

Trying this new MIG50 out. Wayyy to loud for the apt so I'm taking it to the studio this weekend.

EDIT: Yes that is a SOVTEK face plate sitting on top of the orange. I know it seems odd but I really don't care for the electro-harmonix text and even though it isn't a true Sovtek (nearly identical but not) I still might swap out the face plate. Dumb?

What's the continued review? I've been very curious of this amp. It's louder than I need rn, but still really curious.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rickenbastard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:30 pm

Cisco wrote:
rickenbastard wrote:I got it Monday. Tried it solo Monday night then at band practice last night. Best gear purchase I've ever made. It's unbelievable how good this thing sounds. They tweaked the mids on it so I can get the vintage Marshall Lemmy sound too. Sounds like a perfect blend of Lemmy and Dopesmoker.

200?

rickenbastard

committed
committed

Postby Cisco » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:05 pm

rickenbastard wrote:

Cisco

committed
committed

Postby captainchair » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:44 am

PeteeBee wrote:

What's the continued review? I've been very curious of this amp. It's louder than I need rn, but still really curious.

I've barely got to play it and I have to say it really holds clean most of the way up. It is considerably louder than an OR50 I play (and obviously the 15 in the photo) and has some serious bass. I didn't get to bring my pedal board to the studio so I only had a tubescreamer to play with. I'm a big fan thus far
captainchair

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Hypnodrone » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Spent a few hours with the Soundcity now and it's a beast. The tonestack is less noisy than expected and it is probably one of the best pedal platforms I've ever tried. All my fuzzes sounds evil in a sweet way and even the Alesis Quadraverb is perfectly balanced in front of it. All my other amps hated that thing and either did that digital overdrive farty shit or sounded muffled. Loud as fuck on a 4x12, Headroom almost all the way up and everything you put in front of it just rips.
Need to check out the hi-input on the normal channel as it appears to do some weird grid-block thing when saturating the preamp.
Hypnodrone

committed
committed

Postby MuffFuzz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:19 am

Dude, not to steal your thunder; but I'm rocking the same amp setup!

I got a Mig-50 reissue about three weeks ago. It's a very simple amp, but for my needs it works perfectly. I'm really digging the clean sound from it with my Jazzmaster. I have been playing a Super Reverb Reissue since Summer 2009, and I have always had problems with putting dirt boxes through it. Too much treble and Bass, right? But playing a Big Muff through the Mig-50 is exactly what I've been after for like, ever. It also takes all my modulation and time based effects just as good as my Fender did. Even my Boss BD-2 sounds ace. I no longer have that fizzy decay with it into this amp. I can actually turn the tone knob past 12 O'clock.

I'm playing mostly into the second channel. The first channel appears to have way too much bass for my liking. Understandable since it's modeled after a Bassman. I also agree on the EHX face plate. Swapping it out would be a good solution.

Besides better reliable parts, how much different is the current reissue from the vintage Sovtek Mig-50?
MuffFuzz

interested
interested

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear