Who has a Midnight Amplification Holy Mountain?

Who has a Midnight Amplification Holy Mountain?

Postby halkaloogie » Sat May 20, 2017 9:45 am

I know the problems people have had with the builder but that aside,I have the opportunity to get one for a good price but I'm not able to play it before hand.Those of you who had/have one, what do you think?
halkaloogie

interested
interested

Re: Who has a Midnight Amplification Holy Mountain?

Postby halkaloogie » Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Really? No one has or has had one and wants to talk about it? Is it really that bad?
halkaloogie

interested
interested

Postby Chankgeez » Fri May 26, 2017 4:35 pm

:idk:

There'd be a lot more available info if dude hadn't deleted all the posts in his Shark Tank.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby odontophobia » Sat May 27, 2017 9:40 am

halkaloogie wrote:Really? No one has or has had one and wants to talk about it? Is it really that bad?

dude really burned his bridges here. most people avoided his stuff after that.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby benjuro » Tue May 30, 2017 7:22 pm

I had one for a while.

It was burly but not as dirty as I had hoped. Worked well for me stacked with something higher gain, could fill out thinner fuzz nicely and retain its character. I liked it better with my moderate power/volume rig than with the 100 watt full rock jam stack.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:58 pm

I found that it tended to sound like adding a blanket over any drive in front of it unless it's jfet based. :idk:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby benjuro » Wed May 31, 2017 1:10 pm

jrfox92 wrote:I found that it tended to sound like adding a blanket over any drive in front of it unless it's jfet based. :idk:

Hmmm, don't remember exactly what I was using in front of it...I guess the bottom line is it didn't work well enough on its own or stacked for me to keep it around for long.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby halkaloogie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:28 am

I went ahead and bought it, (should be here in a week or so depending on USPS shipping) it was cheap enough there is no reason I can't sell it and get my money back if I don't like it. I'm hoping to run it through my Sunn Beta's effects loop to bypass the Sunn preamp to go along with a Noise Diet Submarine Fuzz acting as a preamp in the other effects loop. I like the Beta power amp with a different preamp, for some reason I find the Beta just doesn't cut through by its self. It gets burred behind the bass in D standard tuning to the point it just completely disappears unless i crank the volume, but with different poweramps its an amazing stereo(ish) rig. Right now I'm using the preamp section from an Orange cr120 into the Sunn with the submarine which sounds great but I really hate dragging two heads around to gigs which I guess is good as a backup but I've never needed it as everything is solid state so I'm really hoping the Holy Mountain will replace the orange.
halkaloogie

interested
interested

Postby odontophobia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:32 am

halkaloogie wrote:I went ahead and bought it, (should be here in a week or so depending on USPS shipping) it was cheap enough there is no reason I can't sell it and get my money back if I don't like it. I'm hoping to run it through my Sunn Beta's effects loop to bypass the Sunn preamp to go along with a Noise Diet Submarine Fuzz acting as a preamp in the other effects loop. I like the Beta power amp with a different preamp, for some reason I find the Beta just doesn't cut through by its self. It gets burred behind the bass in D standard tuning to the point it just completely disappears unless i crank the volume, but with different poweramps its an amazing stereo(ish) rig. Right now I'm using the preamp section from an Orange cr120 into the Sunn with the submarine which sounds great but I really hate dragging two heads around to gigs which I guess is good as a backup but I've never needed it as everything is solid state so I'm really hoping the Holy Mountain will replace the orange.

Don't want to crank the volume? Hate carrying two heads around?

How decidedly un-doom of you.

:P :P

Hope it works out, man.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby halkaloogie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:19 pm

Yeah I'm getting old so until I find me some roadies I'm trying to pair down the rig. The Sunn/Sleep doom guitar wall looks cool but fuck it's a downer to move around and set up multi-amp rigs.
halkaloogie

interested
interested

Postby odontophobia » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:56 am

halkaloogie wrote:Yeah I'm getting old so until I find me some roadies I'm trying to pair down the rig. The Sunn/Sleep doom guitar wall looks cool but fuck it's a downer to move around and set up multi-amp rigs.

I feel you, dude.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby John Matrix » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:13 pm

halkaloogie wrote: for some reason I find the Beta just doesn't cut through by its self.

I had this same problem. I put an EQ pedal in the effects loop and it helped a lot. Might be something worth trying if you like the distortion sound of the Beta.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby halkaloogie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:39 pm

John Matrix wrote:
halkaloogie wrote: for some reason I find the Beta just doesn't cut through by its self.

I had this same problem. I put an EQ pedal in the effects loop and it helped a lot. Might be something worth trying if you like the distortion sound of the Beta.

I was doing that for a while with great results too but then I started running is as a stereo(ish) rig running different pre-amps into each effects loop and have been really liking it. As a three piece band I find it fills the sound out better this way too.
halkaloogie

interested
interested

Postby Stamnes » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:59 am

I have one but I can NEVER get them to sound like any demo's I see on the web. im a noob
Stamnes

interested
interested

Postby halkaloogie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:31 am

I was away and didn't get a chance to properly try out the holy mountain till yesterday.

So far I'm on the fence and until I can play it with the band I won't know for sure, but so far so good (I think).

It doesn't have the sound in the demo's unless I put it into an already distorted amp. And so far it doesn't play all that well pushing it with another overdrive or boost. it's noisy and the blanket analogy is apt, but it does sound pretty good going into a fuzz, a good overdrive or an overdriven amp, but I had to drastically change the EQ of what ever I put it into to accommodate it, which sort of makes it an always on kind of pedal (which is Ok because that is what I was looking for).

I don't know if I've ever spent this long dialing in a pedal and trying different combinations of pedals with it to get it to sound good. It's because I really wanted it to work but if I had played it in a store there is no way I would have walked out with it.

I think I got it to a point where it might be OK but I won't know until next weekend when the band starts practicing again.

On the plus side if I do end up getting rid of it, it looks like the price went up on them so maybe I can flip it for a profit.
halkaloogie

interested
interested

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org