RMA Dirty Doper

Moderator: crochambeau

Re: RMA Dirty Doper

Postby Jwar » Wed May 17, 2017 9:17 am

GOD HURRY UP!!!
:animal:
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Chankgeez » Wed May 17, 2017 9:28 am

LOL.

So, jwar, got any suggestions for improvement on the Dirty Doper?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jwar » Wed May 17, 2017 9:41 am

Not really. It was pretty perfect when I had one. I'd like to think I'd have a good suggestion, but I need the circuit in front of me as my memory sucks. hahaha
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby crochambeau » Wed May 17, 2017 10:29 am

Chankgeez wrote:LOL.

So, jwar, got any suggestions for improvement on the Dirty Doper?

Seriously, I'm all ears.

1) Right now the big structural change is going to be PCB mounted switches (I haven't decided on pots yet), I've railed against PCB mount panel controls for years.. so this hurts a little, but I'm just going to shut up and do it. Future repairs will gauge if this was a good idea or not, but it'll save a lot of time now which is expensive.

2) I'm planning on reconfiguring the front end a bit to allow deeper excursions into non-distorted territory, at least allow it to clean up a little bit more.

3) I'd like to design the low pass section so that it is switchable to either side of the signal path (so three position switch: LP on lower branch, LP bypassed, LP on upper branch) the problem is cost & availability of required mechanical switch. So implementing this feature would entail CMOS switching, which opens the door for additional features & CV trickery.

4) The differential stage that sits over the instability control (and is where a fair amount of the voicing comes from) will probably need to be a monolithic matched BJT pair, as short of hand matching and thermally coupling the two transistors consistency was all over the place in this section. I'll probably draw the pads to take SOIC & through hole so I can mismatch that in the event my prior analysis is full of shit.

5) If I go with CMOS switching I might get playful and build in some CV controlled feedback paths to push it deeper into the oscillating fuzz realm.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Wed May 17, 2017 12:11 pm

All sounds awesome! The CMOS switching/CV stuff could be a blast.

Why not do the switches on a second control board (maybe include pots)? I know it would add to cost, but it could save you some headaches in repairs while still making things easier to wire.

It's weird seeing CMOS. I was expecting some kind of discrete xor/xnor/and network for switching/activating BJT switches.

I think footswitch-able branching/crossover would be a fun option at some point for a quick second voicing. (I always kinda wanted that two footswitches one so I could have two haha).

I think the CMOS thing could work out really well honestly. Excited man. (I have this giant multiplexer network of feedback loops and paths in my head controlled by cryptic toggles haha....I know it won't be like that, just kinda a quick image in my head of like a space age EMS pin matrix)
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Wed May 17, 2017 12:35 pm

lordgalvar wrote:I have this giant multiplexer network of feedback loops and paths in my head controlled by cryptic toggles haha....

Hahaha, yeah - I want to avoid adding more switches if possible. I don't think I can get rid of any. My thought is to add another CV port that feeds four comparators that will open/close the feedback switching, maybe leave triggering point of each to the user through some set & forget trim pots and allow them to latch the oscillator switches on without adding CV (which remains a black art for many). Another thought is to plumb in a DB9 and offer a break-out box or pinout data to the DIY crowd, but we're veering into jumping on a higher expense tier with that sort of thinking.

I don't want to fuck with going discrete on the logic side, I'll take 4000 series hahahaha. Otherwise the footprint will be too cumbersome.

I like the daughterboard switch/pot idea, though I'd still have to engineer main PCB mounting. I'm really leaning on going whole hog on it, maybe widen the trace to pad so butterfinger repair people have to work harder to lift traces.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby amnesiac305 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:00 am

Looking forward to this....I never got to try the original
Excellent Transactions: monkeydancer, dorfmeister, Rygot, bronzetalon, PumpkinPieces, Wes Mantooth, Deltaphoenix, Blooghost, Fuzz_Pi, Neanderthal Head, lordgalvar
amnesiac305

experienced
experienced

Postby resincum » Fri May 19, 2017 11:21 am

I have an idea: can you possibly reduce the output? :lol: moving the vol knob one small tick can mean absolute aural annihilation :rock: not always a bad thing tho :evil:
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 pm

I can work on the taper of the volume knob for sure.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Fri May 19, 2017 7:12 pm

The volume on all your pedals are brutal though.

I think it's why I'm fond of them so much.

Though my ears agree with Resincum.

Also, is this done yet??

:)

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby crochambeau » Fri May 19, 2017 7:48 pm

HAHAHA, thanks!

No, it's not done yet...

The wide open volume would be unchanged, it's just the ramp up from nothing...

...which brings me to master volume all the way off - current revision thinking would *not* have that as full off like seen in the Dirty Doper, but as a diminished volume. Am I wrong, is full off useful?

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby resincum » Sat May 20, 2017 2:18 am

full off is always useful for me. more room on the ramp is perfect tho :rock:
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:54 pm

I realize there's a hanging trace on this, it has been corrected.
Last edited by crochambeau on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:00 am

YEEEAAAH!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 am

crochambeau wrote:Image

:love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

PreviousNext

Return to Rochambeau Musical Apparatus