The Whatever Thread... for Recording!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread... for Recording!

Postby DRodriguez » Wed May 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Eventide has a plugin for that going on sale either next week or the one after!
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby wafl » Wed May 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Oh wow thats a pretty cool plugin but 250 seems like a lot for something so specific. Hopefully its a good sale.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby DRodriguez » Wed May 10, 2017 10:44 pm

The other reverb discounts have been from $200 to $47 so $59ish?
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ummohyeah » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Trying to spice up recordings on my Tascam 414 mkii. Looking at the Behringer MIC2200 mic pre, and the dbx 266XS compressor -- anyone have any experience with either of these? Would it be fruitless?

I want the recordings to be lo-fi but would like to retain warmth and dynamic wherever possible.
ummohyeah

committed
committed

Postby ibarakishi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:55 pm

interested in this too ^
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby wafl » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:59 pm

I've actually been looking at those compressors for the radio station, but we won't have our live space ready till january and I would still have to put in the request for them. If we get them I can let ya know about them.

Don't get your hopes up though cause they're pretty low priority.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:36 am

still good to know, keep us updated if you have the chance to try them out wafl and thanks in advance
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby PeteeBee » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:58 pm

I’m sliding quickly into a new phase of my music life. The hope of a band has been put aside/on long term hold, and I need to focus on recording my self I guess so that I can make what I want happen. My dream right now is set up my computer so that I can run in a drum machine, keyboard, and guitar/pedalboard direct, as well as a mic for Guitar and other acoustic stuff. I don’t think I’ll need more than two of these at a time though. What hardware do I need? I keep looking the Focusrite stuff, like the 2i4, and a couple mics, like an sm57 and a rode nt1 or whatever they call their condenser mic that’s around 250.

Any suggestions for different products or things that I’m overlooking?
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:37 pm

PeteeBee wrote:Any suggestions for different products or things that I’m overlooking?

I did not see a small amp or suitable monitoring in your list. If that's covered it sounds like you have all the fundamentals in mind, so I think the most logical approach would be to utilize that set-up and then determine future needs based on current results.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Oh word. Good point Cro-beau. I don’t have anything between a fender fm212 and my laptop speakers. I’ll definitely get some monitors.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby boneslygrifter » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:21 pm

I'm about to get my hands on a new Deepmind 12, and hopefully after I get all my pedals/sold traded (wanting a polymoon and a pitch shifter of some sort) I can get to work on a lo-fi/"ambient" project I've had in mind recently (think Sigur Ros mixed with Imogen Heap, I guess). I'm trying to decide if I want to invest in new mics to record my actual drums myself, or invest in the new Elektron Digitakt drum machine/sampler to keep with a more electronic vibe. Mic-wise I'd probably get an SM-57 (I have an e609 already), a D6, and either a C214 or a Blue Baby Bottle (the baby bottle is literally the only mic I like on my voice and I've put it up against Neumanns and Royers and the like)... plus another Radial JDI and one of their re-amp boxes. I'd lean more towards the mics because my band is also supposedly down to record an EP but seeing as we haven't even practiced in over two months that's looking more and more distant right now, and I'm more excited about my solo stuff.

Gear-wise I've got a Scarlett 18i20, full Pro Tools 12 with a bunch of plugins, and my e609, plus some DI boxes. Had more mics but I sold them off to fund the interface and Pro Tools upgrade, and I've got access to more that I could theoretically borrow if I need them. I do demo recordings and mixes for local bands, so the rig has already paid for itself. I've also got an old Tascam cassette deck I use as an outboard effect sometimes and it'll be seeing heavy use during my solo project. i'm pretty excited to get started on it and dive into my new synth.
My music:

https://hetchetchy-tx.bandcamp.com/releases Side project with my best friend, we wrote and recorded this in two days.

https://mummertheband.com/releases Same friend on drums with another on guitars/lead vocals
boneslygrifter

committed
committed

Postby boneslygrifter » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:28 pm

PeteeBee wrote:Oh word. Good point Cro-beau. I don’t have anything between a fender fm212 and my laptop speakers. I’ll definitely get some monitors.

If you don't have a good space for monitors I'd actually recommend going with headphones instead. The room I mix in is acoustically terrible, and even decent monitors (HS7s) in there have made mixes worse than before when I mixed them on my MDR-7506 cans. They were good for really low-volume EQ work, but the overall mix was terrible and only improved when I went back to my cans and a grot-box speaker. Once I treat the room it'd be better, but it may be more space and cost efficient for you right now to get some decent headphones. I'm about to get myself an Avantone MixCube though, as I seem to do better mixes with a "crappy" mono speaker and headphones than a stereo pair of monitors.

Other rec I would have would be maybe some kind of pre-amp? Nothing too fancy, but it can really bring stuff to life in front of a Scarlett interface.
My music:

https://hetchetchy-tx.bandcamp.com/releases Side project with my best friend, we wrote and recorded this in two days.

https://mummertheband.com/releases Same friend on drums with another on guitars/lead vocals
boneslygrifter

committed
committed

Postby wafl » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:01 pm

The building we're putting our live space in is being renovated and the opening just got pushed back to march... after being pushed back from january... after being pushed back from septembre... after being pushed back from late spring.

As someone that knows literally nothing about construction, it just doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby ibarakishi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:24 am

with that sort of time frame, i would start to expect them to just start building a whole new building from the ground up :excellent:
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby wafl » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:30 pm

Yeah they're just converting the former police headquarters into a building that will actually serve the community. How hard can it be?!
wafl

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to Tech & Recording