Any solid state love?

Re: Any solid state love?

Postby blakestree » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:02 pm

I've got a like new Orange dual footswitch for the CR120. I would trade it for something minimal, if anyone wants it.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JereFuzz » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:21 pm

CyaNitrate wrote:
JereFuzz wrote:
CyaNitrate wrote:If all goes well, I'll finally have a CR120H by week's end!

So how do you like the head? It's pretty exceptional and I'm seriously considering purchasing the 60 watt combo ...

Regards ...

Sorry I missed this. But to answer, I really, really like it. Don't get me wrong, I can still dig tubes, but this amp made me a solid state believer. No maintenance and good sound? Hell yeah. I'd totally grab the 1x12 combo if I could snag one.

I will say I didn't bond with the dirt channel right away, and wish the clean channel had the mid control instead. 95% of the time I run pedals into the clean side. But yesterday I had a breakthrough..my bari tele...it sounds awesome through the dirty channel, where my Strat just sounded kinda blah.

Transistor amps have the reputation of being able to play distorted tones at low volume but many, like the Orange, sound best cranked. In fact, I have multiple solid state amps that sound weak at low volumes until you start to crank it. I'm glad you like it. The build quality is 2nd to none ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby maggot » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm seriously pondering a Quilter Power Block 200. My Acoustic 150 sounds amazing on a good day, but tends to fall apart after 1/2 hour at gig volume, and it's not mine, and I can't fix anything more complicated than an output jack by myself. I'd miss the trem for sure. But I'm pretty convinced that I want Solid State because before I started tuning down/playing Baritone I seriously could play a 2x EL-84 amp and be happy, but now I'd have to cart around between 4 and 6 EL-34s or 6L6s to get the response I want from a tube amp, or carry around a tiny solid state amp. The Acoustic seems so much quicker to capture the low notes. But unlike the Acoustic, a Power Block can be turned down. Literally, the 150 will not ever play quietly.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:18 pm

waltdogg wrote:so i've noticed. most mosfet/class d mini ss bass amps are so dull. the pf on the other hand sounds like an ampeg, which ampeg usually sucks at doing with solid state circuity.

Anyone tried the VR-200 on guitar (the one that looks like a mini-SVT)?
maggot

committed
committed

Postby waltdogg » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:36 pm

i want one of those nifty mini 2x10s that they are paired with.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby emptyparadigm » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:30 am

Recently picked up a Quilter Tone Block 201. It is pretty friggin great. Is it capable of replacing my Ampeg V4? No. But almost. Really. Does it sound better than most amps, tube or solid state? Hell yes. Hell yes it does.
KHEMMIS. Doomed heavy metal. DECEIVER out 11/19/21 on Nuclear Blast.

GLACIAL TOMB. Misanthropic death/black/sludge. S/t debut out now on Gilead Media.

Good deals with: Ancient Astronaught, conky, crohny, D-Day, Corey Y, ryan summit, tons more here and on HCFX under this username
emptyparadigm

experienced
experienced

Postby maggot » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:26 pm

emptyparadigm wrote:Recently picked up a Quilter Tone Block 201. It is pretty friggin great. Is it capable of replacing my Ampeg V4? No. But almost. Really. Does it sound better than most amps, tube or solid state? Hell yes. Hell yes it does.

That's what I want to know (although I'd get the 200 because I'm a cheapskate, and because I have always-on 3-band EQs in my chain). I'm sure it lacks some of the immediacy of the Acoustic 150 on a good day, but it's not always a good day.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:21 pm

emptyparadigm wrote:Recently picked up a Quilter Tone Block 201. It is pretty friggin great. Is it capable of replacing my Ampeg V4? No. But almost. Really. Does it sound better than most amps, tube or solid state? Hell yes. Hell yes it does.

The older you get, the easier it is to replace a V4. I've already had to go to the emergency room once due to V4-weight related injuries. Good thing it wasn't an SVT!
maggot

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:20 am

Just paid for a Tone Block 200. My wife will be happy when the Acoustic is returned to its rightful owner (my rig is in the living room). My AOR30 is going to my 15 year old daughter so she can play pop-punk on it. It's gonna be perfect for that, because she tunes standard and she won't have to deal with a bunch of mush out of the 6v6s. I'm just too much of a pedal guy for that amp, although it has the best preamp distortion I've ever heard, and she needs an upgrade from her little Vox modeling amp.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby antennafarm » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:25 pm

I'd love to hear some doom-oriented Tone Block demos. Been eyeing those Quilters for a while but all the sound samples are blues dadders.
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby maggot » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:30 pm

I'll do one when I get it. Of course I'm a closet bluesdadder but at least I play loud and low.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby JereFuzz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 pm

antennafarm wrote:I'd love to hear some doom-oriented Tone Block demos. Been eyeing those Quilters for a while but all the sound samples are blues dadders.

I've been looking for an article showing this metal/hard rock guitarist using multiple tone blocks ... I saw a picture of pat obrien of cannibal corpse with one ... I have the 101 mini
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby maggot » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:46 am

JereFuzz wrote:
antennafarm wrote:I'd love to hear some doom-oriented Tone Block demos. Been eyeing those Quilters for a while but all the sound samples are blues dadders.

I've been looking for an article showing this metal/hard rock guitarist using multiple tone blocks ... I saw a picture of pat obrien of cannibal corpse with one ... I have the 101 mini

Too late now for me, but how loud is it? I was going to get one and then I started worrying about volume and got the 200.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby JereFuzz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:30 pm

maggot wrote:
JereFuzz wrote:

Too late now for me, but how loud is it? I was going to get one and then I started worrying about volume and got the 200.

never cranked it that high but it doesn't take pedals well last I remember
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby maggot » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:09 am

If it doesn't take pedals well, I'll be bummed!
maggot

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org