another amp suggestion thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: another amp suggestion thread

Postby sylnau » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:53 pm

popvulture wrote:Tone Kings can indeed be harsh. I really liked the Meteor II but that's the only one I've particularly enjoyed... others not so much.

I second the idea of a Deluxe, but IMO the reissues aren't where you wanna look (open em up and it's like a fucking computer inside). I'd consider a company that makes an original spec clone, like Headstrong. I've been really impressed with their Deluxe.

What are your thoughts on those two Vintage Sound Amps (see previous post).
Keep in mind I'm living in an appartment condo.
Last edited by sylnau on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Tube amp+apartment levels is not really going to go together very well unless you have really thick walls.

How loud can you get? Even 5w tube amps like Champ 600s get ridiculously loud (relatively).
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sylnau » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:04 pm

repoman wrote:Tube amp+apartment levels is not really going to go together very well unless you have really thick walls.

How loud can you get? Even 5w tube amps like Champ 600s get ridiculously loud (relatively).

I have thick walls... It's isolated very well where I live. But my only concern is the persone living on the second floor (ceiling).
Not having a band and place to play loud is a pain. So I have to find the best setup for my place.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:26 pm

ramonovski wrote:Solid State with a 12" speaker.

I love my Fender Eighty Five.

I bought an excellent condition Fender Deluxe 85 with footswitch/paperwork for $200. Original owner bought it for a military deployment to Europe back in the early 90s. Took it to the Fender Factory, he lived in CA, to get it modded for European AC outlets. Gets deployed, doesn't have time to play much while in Europe, gets back to the states has it reversed back to USA standards, puts it in his parent's closet for years. Gives it to the person I bought it from to pay a debt. It's barely been used much less gigged but has a few scuffs from being old but it looks like it the footswitch has never really been used. It has great cleans and the overdrive can sound Fendery sweet if you dial it in right. The mids boost gives you some tweed feels. I have another that is well-used. Since these amps are getting harder to find I keep my "excellent condition" one in storage. But this amp does sound better at higher volumes. It may be a bit much for bedroom play.
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Blues Jr. - buddy had one, those are nice ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby OddKnowledge » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Valve Junior?
OddKnowledge

experienced
experienced

Postby maggot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:46 pm

sylnau wrote:
Tristan wrote:Tone King, no dude please, talking about ice picks.

Two dealers (online) suggested me Tone King, especially the Falcon Grande.... but none of the YouTube demo excited me much.

maggot wrote:I'd go for a Deluxe Reverb if you only want to play clean. It's big enough to play loud (without a ton of headroom), but small enough to get a nice clean sound at moderate levels. Otherwise, how about a silver face Princeton Reverb?

I had an Ampeg Reverberocket 2 that was a nice clean machine (if played quietly) with stellar reverb and trem.

Since you seem interested in some newer boutique amps, a Carr Skylark might be your thing, or an Allen Amps Chihuahua. Both of them are low-wattage takes on the Fender thing that are fuller and more powerful than a champ.

So what about this?
Vintage Sound - Vintage 15, 15 Watt Combo 1 X 12
https://electricmojoguitars.com/brands/ ... ge-15.html
or
Vintage Sound - Vintage 20, 20 Watt Combo 1 X 12
https://electricmojoguitars.com/brands/ ... ge-20.html

I'm just scared that they might sound dull at low volume... 15 - 20 watt is still quite loud for a tube amp.

What you think?

It's a matter of taste whether you think they sound dull at low volumes. They certainly won't break up. I like playing on Deluxe or Princeton at moderate volumes (my Reverberocket was similar in volume - probably quieter than a Deluxe but louder than a Princeton. They weren't necessarily made to be cranked. Those nice, round sounds you hear on old records are usually Fenders and Ampegs run fairly quietly. To me, the low-volume sounds of a 20-watt amp are rich and pleasing. I've spent many a day with an old Ampeg and a Russian Muff and a wah, and to me, it sounded great at apartment (with indulgent neighbors) volumes. It also sounded really good to turn the amp up a little and turn my guitar volume down. If you want a bit more of an edge, look for a single 6v6 amp, but with a 12" speaker.

I don't know anything about those Vintage Sound amps, but they look nice.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby popvulture » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 am

sylnau wrote:
popvulture wrote:Tone Kings can indeed be harsh. I really liked the Meteor II but that's the only one I've particularly enjoyed... others not so much.

I second the idea of a Deluxe, but IMO the reissues aren't where you wanna look (open em up and it's like a fucking computer inside). I'd consider a company that makes an original spec clone, like Headstrong. I've been really impressed with their Deluxe.

What are your thoughts on those two Vintage Sound Amps (see previous post).
Keep in mind I'm living in an appartment condo.

I've never played/heard of the Vintage Sounds, but at first glance they just look like another attempt at producing a blackface circuit. If they're true to the original recipe, I imagine they probably sound good. Looks like a nicer price, too :D

Obviously you're probably going to want to hear something in person before you buy, and I think that's totally the way to go. My reason for suggesting a Deluxe clone is that they're nice and small and have a wonderful clean sound (which you indicated you were after in the OP). I've personally never turned on a Twin or Deluxe at low volume and thought "god this sounds like shit." I think a Deluxe sounds great on 2... it's not gainy in the slightest, but that's not what you're after. Plus the Fender verb, yay. I'd have to hear exactly what kind of dB restraints you're under, but that volume level seems fine in my mind. I've done much worse to my neighbors :lol:

I think a Blues Jr. is also a good suggestion. Small, simple, nice clean tones at low volume (and more if you can ever crank), can be found for pretty cheap used. Certainly a great option for a lot less money.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:28 am

http://swartamps.com/swart_space_tone_reverb-tweed.htm

Played a Swart and liked it lots and lots.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby sylnau » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:31 am

Thanks to all! :group:

Need to sell the Duende now.

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Those Vintage Sound amps seem to sound quite nice in the video's I saw, like a proper Blackface style amp, especially the 20 watt version.
I love Swart amps, they just sound amazing to my ears.
The Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue is pretty good too, what Tone King tries to be but doesn't succeed at.
I didn't dig the Carr amps I played, I found them too weak, too dull and not alive enough in terms of sound.
That's about what I have on Fender style amps relevant to your interests.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eivind August » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Does Top Hat still do stuff? I had the 30w 6l6 amp they did at one point, and I think it would definitely cover the sound you're after!
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby maggot » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Eivind August wrote:Does Top Hat still do stuff? I had the 30w 6l6 amp they did at one point, and I think it would definitely cover the sound you're after!

They also had a 20-Watt 6v6 - the Club Deluxe. But for playing quiet and clean, I'd say just get a Fender or a Fender Clone. I agree that a Deluxe Reverb sounds good on 2. Another option would be a small Supro or a vintage Valco (Gretsch, Airline, etc.) I don't know about the new reissues, other than that they sound great on YouTube, but they made tons of 6V6 and 6l6 tube amps, many of which were quiet, slightly underpowered and sounded amazing. The best selling amp I've ever played, bar none, was an early 60s Ampeg Mercury. I didn't buy it because it wasn't loud enough.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you can get to a shop that has old vintage amps, try some out. You never know. I've never known a new amp to sound as good at low levels as the best old amps.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby worra » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:44 am

I have a silverface ('79) Fender Champ for playing at home, only 5w but gets plenty loud by the time you have the volume at 3. Nice clean tones and takes my pedalboard without much of a fuss.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:31 pm

worra wrote:I have a silverface ('79) Fender Champ for playing at home, only 5w but gets plenty loud by the time you have the volume at 3. Nice clean tones and takes my pedalboard without much of a fuss.

Yeah, but the bass...
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear