Footswitch for amp reverb/tremolo

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Footswitch for amp reverb/tremolo

Postby ran_dizolph » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Hey folks,

been asked to build a basic on/off footswitch for both the reverb and tremolo effects on a friends old Traynor head, but can't really think of how this actually needs to work.

Would I just use a 3pdt switch and when it's off just send the signal to ground or something along those lines?

Thanks!
ran_dizolph

involved
involved

Re: Footswitch for amp reverb/tremolo

Postby eatyourguitar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:17 pm

unless you can get the info online, you need to get your hands on the real footswitch and open it up. there are so many different ways that manufacturers use to do channel switching it is not possible to guess.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ran_dizolph » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:46 pm

Hmm...that's the trouble. There isn't a footswitch with it. Guess I'll get the exact model and see what i can find. Thanks!
ran_dizolph

involved
involved

Postby Dr Satan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 pm

If the head didn't come with a switch, like as in there is no jack at all as it wasn't an option, then you'll need a schematic or to look inside the amp to see how the trem/reverb is hooked into the circuit. It's probably similar to some other amp that has a footswitch though.
Dr Satan

committed
committed

Postby ran_dizolph » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 am

Dr Satan wrote:If the head didn't come with a switch, like as in there is no jack at all as it wasn't an option, then you'll need a schematic or to look inside the amp to see how the trem/reverb is hooked into the circuit. It's probably similar to some other amp that has a footswitch though.

There are jacks for both channels on the back of the head, there's just no footswitch. It's from the 70's, so it was likely just lost along the way.
ran_dizolph

involved
involved

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:24 pm

ran_dizolph wrote:There are jacks for both channels on the back of the head, there's just no footswitch. It's from the 70's, so it was likely just lost along the way.

you should have mentioned that it is from the 70's. traynor is a fender clone. the older they are, the closer they are to the fender. you always have the possibility of hurting yourself or breaking the amp so don't do anything unless you are %100 sure about it. don't take my advice for example.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:06 pm

ran_dizolph wrote:Hey folks,

been asked to build a basic on/off footswitch for both the reverb and tremolo effects on a friends old Traynor head, but can't really think of how this actually needs to work.

Would I just use a 3pdt switch and when it's off just send the signal to ground or something along those lines?

Thanks!

almost all amps work as you say, although im sure there are exceptions. If you want to be super sure, find out the model from your friend and go here http://www.0rigami.com/vb/models.html
and find the schematic and you should be able to see if your suspicion is correct. If your not sure how to verify let me know and i can tell you if it is just a short to ground on a switch.

for example this model has trem and reverb and looks like it would work with just an open/close to ground.

http://www.0rigami.com/vb/models.html#g ... everbygm-4

gl.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ran_dizolph » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:48 pm

don't take my advice for example.

Hahaha...duly noted!

If you want to be super sure, find out the model from your friend and go here http://www.0rigami.com/vb/models.html
and find the schematic and you should be able to see if your suspicion is correct. If your not sure how to verify let me know and i can tell you if it is just a short to ground on a switch.

Will do. Thanks very much!
ran_dizolph

involved
involved

Postby PeteeBee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Bump for not wanting to make a new thread.

So I'm committed to buying an orange cr120 head and want a foot switch for the channels and reverb. I'd like to make it since it seems really simple, but I still don't know how to do it. Anyone know a kit, or even directions online that don't suck? Sorry for the amatueur hour question. Everyone starts somewhere, right?
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:52 pm

If you can find accurate schematics for the amp, or a diagram of the footswitch I'm sure we can help fill in any blanks that remain.

What was stated earlier in the thread is correct, there's a ton of ways to go about it. Most modern amps are just going to switch logic (typically a momentary switch), but you still need to know if it's normally open or normally closed, and how it's wired.

It will be an excellent first project, you've just got to grab the right shape out of the tray of cookie cutters.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Or find a manual, some manuals will also tell you how to build your own.

I just built a couple tap and bypass switches with arcade buttons for some of our outboard delays at work. Super easy project once you find out exactly what you need to build.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:40 pm

For a lot of amp switches, you may only need a latching spdt which alternately connects to ground. You should at least try seeing if one of those will do the trick before you start messing with the inside of the amp.

Here's a pic of the inside of a Twin Reverb dual footswitch:
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby PeteeBee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:52 pm

So I found this which has a basic diagram for a one button version, and then I just make two of them in one enclosure for the two buttons I want. Looks like I just need 2 switches, 2 leds, some wire, and two jacks.

https://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52493

Sorry for not just pasting in the pic, I'm on my phone on a break at work...
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to DIY Effects