Recording Doom

Re: Recording Doom

Postby waltdogg » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:39 pm

i use my audix d6, my kick has a sound hole so i put it a couple inches inside the drum and point it right at the beater. it all depends on how consistent the drummer is though.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:35 pm

I use a Sennheiser e602-II, in the soundhole (usually just the element all the way inside the port), pointed at the beater and then something on the res head. Now I have one of the Solomon LowFrEQ subkicks as well, but I have used FET based LDC mics in the past. A long time ago I used an active dynamic Blue KickBall on the res head, since it was made just for thumpy low end sources and it was cheap. In the past I've just used a Shure SM7B or EV RE20 in the sound hole, pointed towards the beater and made a sub track in mixing.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby louderthangod » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:38 am

Do you guys mic the underside of the toms and snare? I've been looking for some more sound of the actual snares but what sort of qualities do you get under the toms.
[b]“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
― Mark Rothko
http://www.floatingglasses.bandcamp.com http://theworshipofsilence.bandcamp.com
louderthangod

experienced
experienced

Postby Kacey Y » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:10 pm

I almost always put a mic on the bottom of the snare. In one case where I couldn't for technical reasons, I actually reamped a snare once. I don't usually mic the bottom of the toms, but I have in some cases where it seemed appropriate. The only thing I don't like about using the bottom of the toms is it requires everything be tuned up meticulously (specifically for that purpose, usually) and I end up doing a ton of editing, which is a pain.

Snare reamping video, because why not:

Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:42 pm

I don't. i can sound replace or blend with a sample if I want more snare sound. but I like how my snare sounds and only tweak it slightly depending on the mix and the tone of the guitars.
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Snare bottom is one of the few sources I don't really have a problem with sound replacement on drums. Normally I like really live sounding drums, if I have a choice (I use mid sequenced samples too, no hate), but in the past I've even used gated white noise triggered off the snare mic for that.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:48 pm

yea that makes sense. I think it all depends overall. even if i use a sample for the snare i usually use a EQed snare beat of my snare that I had already done from earlier. so it's still a live sample of my actual kit. I usually only do that if there happened to be something that couldn't be fixed via the mix like if some reason there was static on the mic. doesn't normally happen but it has before with my snares and kicks.
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:56 pm

I've done similar things. Hell, I've recorded drum kits with 2 or 3 mics and whipped up everything in editing. No sound replacement, just duplicating tracks and isolating sources with extreme EQ, compression, expansion, noise gates, etc. and then blending them back in. Usually with subtle room style reverb to make it all sound natural and cohesive. I did that with some live recordings of one of my old bands, where the engineer just sent me stems off the board. Thankfully I don't really have to do stuff like that much anymore, but it's kind of a fun exercise in mixing technique if you're in the right frame of mind for it.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby StephanCOH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:15 am

Started to get into homerecording some years go. Just put a 57 in front of my 4x12 and gave it a go. Drums were Superior Drummer. Bass was played through a cheap Behringer Sansamp clone straight into the interface.
The first Iron & Stone EPs were recorded that way and got me into editing and mixing.

For the recording of our first album we wanted to do it the "right" way.

Guitars were a SM57 and a Sennheiser e609 in front of a Fryette 4x12.
Got the phase right by placing the SM57 at the sweet spot, then flipping the phase of the 609 and moving it until almost the whole signal got eliminated. Then flipped the phase back. Worked really well that way.

Bass was a Sennheiser 421 in front of an EBS 8x10 for the dirt and a DI signal for the punchy low-end.
I like the dirt from the pedalboard of our bass-player better than to add it later in the DAW.

Vocals were a Rode NT1A (yeah, I know, cheapo) through a Fredenstein VAS into the interface. Used the Fredenstein to add just a little dirt here and there.

And then drums. I was super nervous the days before we recorded drums. It is just so complex and there is a lot to be drone wrong. I read shitloads of articles, watched countless tutorials on youtube.
Used a AKG D122 in the hole of the bassdrum and a boundary mic inside of the drum.
Sennheiser 441 for the top of the snare, SM57 clone for the bottom.
Sennheiser 421s for the toms.
Some rather cheap Audix for the OHs.
Another SM57 was placed right above the bassdrum, looking at the drummer. (while mixing I added some dirt to it and flipped the phase, so it was more like a filter. This gave the snare a nice and smooth top end).
Some other Audix was right above the drummers head, looking at the kit.
And some cheap 57 clone was placed in the stairway and worked as kind of a reverb chamber mic.

Measured the distance of the OHs and payed close attention to the positioning of each mic.
Man, that feeling when listening to the first drum-take and everything was right in it's place... what a relief.

Pretty happy with how the sound turned out. Cannot wait until the vinyl testpresses arrive.
But of course, while mixing, I found countless things which could have done better or different.
Looking forward to recording album #2 and trying some new things.
StephanCOH

interested
interested

Postby StephanCOH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:49 am

Just read through that Dopesmoker production thread and was wondering: how many of you use a room-mic to record guitars?
StephanCOH

interested
interested

Previous

Return to ilovedoom.org