Frequency/note analyzing software?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Frequency/note analyzing software?

Postby Faldoe » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:15 pm

I recall reading about something like this but I'm not sure if I understood exactly how it worked or if it would work for this application but it's worth a shot:

I have some recordings of loops I made that are pretty layered. They aren't like ambient pad layers with lots of sustained noted over each other, it's random notes being punched into my Dl-4 to make this kind of texture. I have no idea what I was doing playing wise and it is kind of difficult to decipher by ear.

Is there some software that can pick out the notes and midi map then so I can kind of get an idea what the notes are?
Last edited by Faldoe on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faldoe

Re: Frequency/note analyzing software?

Postby DRodriguez » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:35 pm

Unlikely to get exactly what you want, but most vocal tuning software could get you close. Melodyne is the best out there, it actually does polyphony fairly well and can tune harmonics and whatnot.

Alternatively, if you can get some frequency visualizing software, some EQ's have it built in or specific analyzers like the PAZ by waves or Insight by iZotope. Those will be harder to do, but you can look for the frequencies that spike and convert that frequency into a note.

Programs like Ableton can also attempt to turn audio into midi, but I have yet to see software that really does that well.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:43 am

I've tried all of the available stuff on a whim just to see what it says on simpler weird guitar stuff, and they choke pretty hardcore.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Derelict78 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:14 pm

You could try MIDImorphosis, they have software for iOS and desktop
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ev_O))) » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:50 am

I use Ableton Live's inbult "Convert x to MIDI" (with x being your choice of Melody, harmony and rhythm) to do this. It's not perfect, especially if there are effects that create harmonics/Overtones/resonances on the source materiel ie: distortion and reverb, but you can pick through the MIDI data and tidy it up to get what you want from it. I use it fairly often when sampling other people's stuff to create complimentary sounds etc

Also, as DRodriguez said above, you could look into Melodyne. The newest version handles polyphony extremely well. If like you say it's less of a pad and more of just a note based texture, it should pretty much nail it. Also, despite being primarily marketed as a "pitch correction" tool, It's also a mad tool for repitching and fucking shit up, if that's something you are interested in.

Neither option is particularly cheap if you don't already own them however.
I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:29 pm

coming in way late to say that Melodyne is glorious, and they have sales and things fairly often I believe.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Tech & Recording