Postby antennafarm » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:05 pm

what is gibson glenn?
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Re: New CITES export regulations for ALL rosewoods in 2017

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:38 pm

antennafarm wrote:Have there been any solid, blind tests done with richlite vs rosewood (or ebony for that matter)?

not in a long time to the point I don't remember where they were posted. The stuff use to be more common too in the product lists of guitar building suppliers, but I think lack of interest because pretty wood = TONEZ.. I've played a few instruments though with phenolic fingerboards and I like them.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:41 pm

I have played countless of cheaper acoustic guitars with rich lite / synthetic ebony fretboards and didn't see any issue with out. Baked maple is the same deal, doesn't feel or hear the difference. Only I think it looks ugly on the Gibsons I saw IRL with these.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby waltdogg » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:47 pm

gibson glenn is one of the gibson reps, that i know. he's a cool dude but super stubborn.

lol baked maple, my lp trad has a baked maple fretboard. compared to my lp special the only difference i can feel is the binding on the trad's neck. the traditional is much warmer and has better sounding pickups, while the special is much more resonant neitehr of which have to do with the fretboard. as for looks, baked maple is fuck ugly and bubbles up sometimes which looks disgusting.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Disarm D'arcy wrote:Only I think it looks ugly on the Gibsons I saw IRL with these.

Yeah but Gibsons are fucking furniture anyway… I can't think of how many times I've seen a $200 guitar beat out a gibson in sounds, and fit&finish… Martins too.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:50 pm

I have a Traditional Les Paul from the late 2000s which I think is unimpeachable as far as Gibson style guitars go :idk:
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Ok, here is a quick search for suppliers, Maybe LMI and Allied still sells the things.. I'll have to look.

http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.u ... oards.html

https://shop.ecosupplycenter.com/produc ... ank-22-x-4

http://balsambanjoworks.com/product/ric ... gerboards/

The only real issue I see with most of what you will find is if you are a home builder that doesn't have a good way to slot and radius their own boards..
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Disarm D'arcy wrote:I have a Traditional Les Paul from the late 2000s which I think is unimpeachable as far as Gibson style guitars go :idk:

And I have a 2010 SG bass that came with uncrowned and unleveled frets.. but my hatred is more towards their acoustic stuff. As for LPs I'd say since the mid 90's I've liked what Epi puts out on average better.
Last edited by Mudfuzz on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:54 pm

I have a same period J-200 studio which I think is unimpeachable as far as acoustic guitars go. LOW END.

Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby waltdogg » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:56 pm

if its not well made that's all any guitar ever will be, a decoration. gibson just really fucking sucks when it comes to consistency and even theyre really fucking nice guitars are unplayable, sound like shit, and are fuck ugly a lot of the time.

i lucked out with my traditonal as well since its from 2009, which is right smack in the middle of gibson's most recent 10+ year drop in quality. they've done this every other decade since norlin and it's terrible, but hilarious.

gibson acoustics, fucking terrible. i dont even bother to work on those at my store. the necks are humped, the truss rods dont quite work, the action is ridiculously high, even on the ones that aren't totally fucked.

as for martins, holy shit, so dull sounding. i'm just gonna by an ibanez 000 martin copy coz they sound that good in comparison.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Disarm D'arcy wrote:I have a same period J-200 studio which I think is unimpeachable as far as acoustic guitars go. LOW END.

:idk: You might have just lucked out or they send the better stuff over there, I have seen a lot of shitty guitars by them.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby waltdogg » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:57 pm

speaking of j-200s. someone stole a $5000+ j-200 from the gibson guys when they were doing a demo at our store. the thief brought it back wearing gloves. we have his name and phone number though.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:04 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:
Disarm D'arcy wrote:I have a same period J-200 studio which I think is unimpeachable as far as acoustic guitars go. LOW END.

:idk: You might have just lucked out or they send the better stuff over there, I have seen a lot of shitty guitars by them.

Nah I tried plenty until I found the one that spoke to me. Same with the Les Paul. Had tried plenty, all brands, all budgets. Tried this one without expecting much, was blown away, took it home. But yeah, I've seen my fair share of "you'd have to at least give me half of for me to even consider trying that" :lol: Sadly with good old jumbos, we can't quite get our hands on much more than Epis and a few Gibsons here and there. Even Guild I could only access on order and I didn't want to be stuck with a guitar I didn't like at that price.

Considering selling the Les Paul still though, I don't enjoy playing Gibsons the way I used, just like I moved away from the Orange I was playing in that era. Feels somewhat irrelevant, though it's nice to have the variety, and I feel I'd regret it if I felt like playing anything remotely Gibson-ish in the years to come. Plus I have to admit I'm kinda weirded by selling something well over a 1k to a stranger :idk:

Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby waltdogg » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Disarm D'arcy wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:

Nah I tried plenty until I found the one that spoke to me. Same with the Les Paul. Had tried plenty, all brands, all budgets. Tried this one without expecting much, was blown away, took it home. But yeah, I've seen my fair share of "you'd have to at least give me half of for me to even consider trying that" :lol: Sadly with good old jumbos, we can't quite get our hands on much more than Epis and a few Gibsons here and there. Even Guild I could only access on order and I didn't want to be stuck with a guitar I didn't like at that price.

Considering selling the Les Paul still though, I don't enjoy playing Gibsons the way I used, just like I moved away from the Orange I was playing in that era. Feels somewhat irrelevant, though it's nice to have the variety, and I feel I'd regret it if I felt like playing anything remotely Gibson-ish in the years to come. Plus I have to admit I'm kinda weirded by selling something well over a 1k to a stranger :idk:

exactly why i traded. i could never justify selling an amp for $1000+ ever again, let alone dropping more than $1000 on an instrument. (says the guy who owned $3700 in science amps)

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:07 pm

WELL WHAT IF THEY GIVE ME MONKEY MONEY

Yeah but honestly there's nothing I'd trade for. I'm super set. If was to sell, I'd just put the funds in my savings account. :lol:

For what I see them go for, and I wouldn't even take that huge a loss (I got a good deal, and it was back when € > USD so high that I actually bought an AVRI Telecaster because the difference with importing a Japanese one from there was bordering the ridicule :lol:)
Last edited by Disarm D'arcy on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass