What should I make in 2017??

Moderator: doug deeper

Re: What should I make in 2017??

Postby goroth » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:17 am

Glad to hear your opinion of some of those other I've been looking at. Maybe not gas so much now haha.

Small footprint pll mania could also be rad. I can only think of that Sunsine thing, and PLL circuits are made for teh hax!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby chrisdermo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:47 am

goroth wrote:Glad to hear your opinion of some of those other I've been looking at. Maybe not gas so much now haha.

Small footprint pll mania could also be rad. I can only think of that Sunsine thing, and PLL circuits are made for teh hax!

I know I know. I think I just want a mini ark mode 1 in a small case and at an affordable price. Flex xs came really close but is missing the two distinct voices. Sunsine harmonic decoder was one of the worst pedals I've ever played, it can only do random glitch synth tones at a low level and completely unrelated to the notes you play in. Like a massively underwhelming ring modulator that can't do bell tones....

I'm keeping the scrutator for now to try and persevere until I can find another bugcrusher. Should have bought the '08 that was on eBay last year.

Back to mid-fi..... I just got myself all hot and bothered thinking about an envelope controlled srr (hit a top e string note and it divebombs into pixelated bass) with some sort of settable ramped/delayed lfo modulation for sustained notes. Yiss! Clearly my imagination has sprung back to life. :)*
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby The Eristic » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:23 am

So my Demo Tape showed up, and it sounds so ridiculously good from clean boost to OD to fuzz, now all I can think about is a Deluxe DTF with separate footswitchable gains or some such (maybe more EQ or clipping options, too, as mentioned on page 1), for to replace 2+ pedals on my board.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby doug deeper » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Whoa! Look at all these replies!
Deluxe Demo Tape has been a thought for a while.
Adding a sweepable mid-range would be the ticket.
Can't do selectable diodes as there aren't any in there (all op amp clipping), but I'm sure I could dream up some other options.

Was on a SRR/Crusher kick recently, then realized how many were already out there and dropped it.
Magick "i" Envelope Controlled Overdrive out now!
<(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)>
doug deeper

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:52 pm

You just crushed my bits Doug.

There are lots of fuzzes and ods out there too dude.
You can do it!
Just gotta find that midfi angle.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:28 am

I feel better schooled on SRR and bit crushing after reading this thread. Thanks, goroth/chrisdermo :thumb:
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby chrisdermo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:50 am

A CLEAN/DIRTY clari(not) that can also do a Boss PS-2 pitch shifter type thing? I almost always use my PS-3 running into my clari(not).
Is there a way to do the whole random number generator/glitch computer thing without adding a fuzz? or doing a clean blend? I'm on a real shittily tracked octaver blended with clean signal kick right now.
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:12 am

Pete wrote:I feel better schooled on SRR and bit crushing after reading this thread. Thanks, goroth/chrisdermo :thumb:

:hug:

Remember dude: the one rule of bit crushing in guitar effects: if it says "bit crusher" it probably isn't! If it sounds like a cool ring mod type of thing then it is SRR, and if it is crazy distortion fuzz trash then it is bit crushing! IMO guitar signals are too complex for bit crushing to sound good: once you get past the low levels that get you some cool fuzz you lose too much information to make the signal intelligible.

Ps: make a SRR Doug :poke:

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby chrisdermo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:33 am

goroth wrote:
Pete wrote:I feel better schooled on SRR and bit crushing after reading this thread. Thanks, goroth/chrisdermo :thumb:

:hug:

Remember dude: the one rule of bit crushing in guitar effects: if it says "bit crusher" it probably isn't! If it sounds like a cool ring mod type of thing then it is SRR, and if it is crazy distortion fuzz trash then it is bit crushing! IMO guitar signals are too complex for bit crushing to sound good: once you get past the low levels that get you some cool fuzz you lose too much information to make the signal intelligible.

Ps: make a SRR Doug :poke:

Agreed, when you reach the bitcrush point where you get weirdo phase/filter sweeps its awesome, but it's so buried in the garbage you can't ever hear it in a mix with other shit going on.
SRR FTW.

Also to add to the SRR/BC list - Earthquaker are doing one aren't they? It was teased at the end of that knobs documentary.
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby doug deeper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 am

I haven't come up with anything great in this area as of now, I'll keep thinking on it for sure.
I just feel it's something hard to do well.
I'd like something that makes a guitar sound like a synth with a bit crusher/reducer rather then a guitar.
I am listening to Broadcast as I type this though hahaha.
doug deeper

committed
committed

Postby chrisdermo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:25 pm

doug deeper wrote:I'd like something that makes a guitar sound like a synth with a bit crusher/reducer rather then a guitar.
I am listening to Broadcast as I type this though hahaha.

Literally one of my top 3 favourite bands. So good live especially during the period they were improvising over winter sun wavelengths.

You mean like the dedalo pixel? A kick ass SRR that tracks the incoming signal and shifts the srr frequency in line with that would be awesome.
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby chrisdermo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:52 pm

So I was reading through this forum off the back of this thread. Firstly I can't find hardly any demos of a what? Pedal. What is it?
Secondly it seems you made a bitcrush/srr before with an lfo??!!
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=17294
Thirdly I now have GAS for most of your stuff and nowhere to buy them without outrageous mark ups!
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby doug deeper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:21 pm

I lost the schematic to the What about a decade ago...No real loss I can assure you.
I made a one off bit crusher, and sold it to someone on here I think?
Lost the schematic to that one too, don't remember what it sounded like honestly.

Re:crazy mark ups, I can't sell my stuff in Europe as it's not ROHS compliant, I've never done this because 75% of my pedals have a photo cell in them for which there is no ROHS approved replacement...I'm also outrageously poor haha.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:
doug deeper

committed
committed

Postby chrisdermo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:51 pm

That's crazy! A goddamn photocell? Those ROHS people just made my shitlist. Just out of curiosity how comes other US shops can sell your pedals to European buyers? I'll have to keep deep searching all forums and eBay reverb etc.
I never should have sold my glitch computer, definitely the biggest flip regret I have.
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pepe » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:08 am

goroth wrote:... and all the Chinese mini pedals are basically the same pedal with one single function - sample rate.

:hello:
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to mid-fi electronics