Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread, no?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread, no?

Postby frigid midget » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:32 am

Srry if I'm wrong, the search brought up a whole bunch of bits and pieces of info and mini reviews, but maybe there's more HP noobs out there like myself who woudn't mind hearing about all the currently available clones :idk:

I'm dead set on trying the circuit, but there's apparantly different variations out there, and they supposedly don't all sound alike. So the plan is to get at least two different clones, from different builders, keep the one I like best, and than repeat that with whatever third option I can get a hold of.

The catalinbread karma suture isn't really one of those options for me btw. It's not super cheap, and it gets meh reviews everywhere you look :idk:

I'm bound to try one of the Frederic Effects clones sooner or later, but at that price point I'd kinda rather first buy somekind of better looking diy clone from someone here, or someone local :/

The Chuck Collins clone looks the part, but it gets mixed reviews from guy's who tried an actual vintage unit. Plus, even used it's one pricey mahfakker, IF I'd manage to track one down in the first place :idk:

What other small time builders are offering a nice looking decent HP clone? "Nice looking", as it not just another 1590B enclosure with commic sans graphics or whatever :idk: I'm not anal about vintage type enclosures or arty paint jobs, but if at all possible I'd prefer something that happens to be easy on the eye :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread,

Postby odontophobia » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:54 am

I don't know a damn thing about HP clones but I think Skully has one for sale.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ck3 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:57 am

I'll add another voice to the meh choir regarding the Karma Suture. It's a versatile and somewhat decent OD IMO, but lacks much of the zazz and fuzziness of other clones I've tried.

The Fredric Effects reproductions are well worth the money. I've owned the Perky Harlot (vintage spec with slight mods), now have the Utility Perkolator (slightly modernized version with 3 clipping modes and noise reduction), and both are well-built and bring the trademark crusty HP stank in spades.

I owned a Barge Concepts HP-1 many moons ago and now regret flipping it. Steve Albini's video review may have been damning, but that doesn't discount the fact it is one of the most versatile HP variants to have ever been in production. I'm not certain what used prices for them look like nowadays.

I have also noticed a few random HP clones surfacing on Reverb.com periodically. There are currently offerings from JDM Pedals, Pentatonic Music, Dirge, and Old North State Sounds. The JDM Little steamer seems about as tame as the Karma Suture in video demos I've seen. My knowledge of the other options is nonexistent, though the Old North State Sounds Earth Departer looks pretty nifty and has a tone control.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:27 am

I have a Chuck Collins HP-1. The "Albini" version, the hybrid. Pre-trademark, no labeling on the enclosure.
There are apparently 4 (known) revisions, and it's my desert island dirtbox. If you find the circuit is for you, get a real one from Chuck.

I have a Fredric Perky Harlot, a v1 (hybrid) with the correct transistors and diode lift. It doesn't get quite as fuzzy as the CC, nor does it have as much bottom end... but it has more output even with the clipping diodes engaged. Lifted out of the circuit even more so, and that's where it shines in stacking with other gear.

The Fredrics can be found secondhand for about $100, and are well worth it. That's where I would begin my search, they pop up semi-often.
I will happily use mine in place of the CC should I need to play out/gig/etc. I'd even buy one direct if it needed replacement. Worth it.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 am

Yep, here the one skully has up for sale:

https://reverb.com/item/3753176-dirge-h ... -overdrive

Probably the best looking Harmonic Percolator clone you'll ever see. :love:

I've only had the Fredric vintage correct & Utility Perk. I liked the Utility Perk a little bit better because of the reduced noise. (neonblack has it now.)

I've ALWAYS wanted a Chuck Collins percolator though. Been eyein' 'em, but no $. :idk: One of these days. :snax:
Last edited by Chankgeez on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby frigid midget » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks, this is the sort of info I was hoping for :hug:

I've got a shoe-in for a used CC clone. Not sure about the date of production or circuit version or anyting, but the price is roughly half of what a brand new one would cost me.

And I put my name down for one of these:

Seems ligit. The price tag's in the same ballpark as the Frederic Effects clones.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:42 am

Look what I just found when I went to go listen to Harmonic Percolator demos on the YouTubes. Kinda interesting:

And of course, here's a little tutorial from mrdigi2t:

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby rustywire » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:30 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Look what I just found when I went to go listen to Harmonic Percolator demos on the YouTubes. Kinda interesting:

And of course, here's a little tutorial from mrdigi2t:

Yeah man, I saw that one with the oscilloscope a while back. Love its clipping, visualized. Looks downright dangerous :eek:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Smarty » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:11 pm

frigid midget wrote:Thanks, this is the sort of info I was hoping for :hug:

I've got a shoe-in for a used CC clone. Not sure about the date of production or circuit version or anyting, but the price is roughly half of what a brand new one would cost me.

And I put my name down for one of these:

Seems ligit. The price tag's in the same ballpark as the Frederic Effects clones.

This is a good HP clone. I have the original trial version that Justin made, before he named all subsequent ones '1000 Hurts' after the Shellac song. Justin knows his onions with both pedal making and studio recording, so I think you'll be pleased.

involved
involved

Postby Faldoe » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:14 pm

Great and relevant thread. I've built a lot of pedals and a HP clone is next on my list. Madbean had the Pepper Spray PCBs which was an HP clone and offered two parts lists for the original - or close to whatever source schematic or other circuits were used to evaluate that - and an Albini version. I'm inclined to build the latter.

I've never tried any HP clones myself a I can't speak on any of the circuits out there or mentioned here.
Faldoe

Postby theecaptain » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:23 pm

New here. Glad someone posted about this.

I've been doing similar research, and what I really want to find is an HP that is about 50% useable and about 50% unusable/wild feedback machine. Considering all of the aforementioned clones/versions, but can't realistically try them all.

What say you?
lots of weird stuff.
on the hunt.
never in a hurry, just moving fast.
theecaptain

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Pete » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:50 pm

Another one to check out is the Nine Of Swords Headache
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby frigid midget » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:19 pm

Pete wrote:Another one to check out is the Nine Of Swords Headache

Yeah I found out about that one early on in my search. Probably among the cheapest options, so I might order one and compair it to the the 1000 hurts and -hopefully- that Chuck Collins HP I mensioned...

I'm in Europe, so that Dirge HP on reverb would end up costing me as much as a Frederic effects clone, if not more :/
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sonidero » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:07 pm

What I'm I missing about the Harm Perc??? Is it strictly an Albini thing or???
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby repoman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:08 pm

its like steve albini is actively trying to get that barge pedal to sound like shit in that vid

just dial it back man
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to General Gear