What should I make in 2017??

Moderator: doug deeper

What should I make in 2017??

Postby doug deeper » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:30 am

??
Magick "i" Envelope Controlled Overdrive out now!
<(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)>
doug deeper

committed
committed

Re: What should I make in 2017??

Postby sylnau » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:48 pm

-Demo Tape Fuzz Deluxe (3 band EQ, different diod, more low ends)
-Manual Flanger
-Slap Back delay (with reverb and lofi repeat)
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:53 pm

Sample rate reducer à la Doug.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby sylnau » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:52 pm

goroth wrote:Sample rate reducer à la Doug.

Oh! Yeah!!! :thumb:
Doug... forget about all my suggestions and do this please.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gnomethrone » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Weirrrrrd reeeevvvvveerrrrrrbb
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:00 pm

More envelope-controlled stuff.
gnomethrone wrote:Weirrrrrd reeeevvvvveerrrrrrbb
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:22 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:More envelope-controlled stuff.

I was thinking about an envelope-controlled Green Ringer the other day. :D

That's probably not that exciting for anyone except me though. :lol:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby chrisdermo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:03 am

Envelope controlled reverb would be insane if it was envelope control for mix of wet/dry like a weird Gate.
I feel like there's already enough SRR's out there that cover everything that circuit can do (though surprisingly few with lfo modulators).
How about some sort of glitch computer / PLL synth hybrid? I'd love a smaller PLL that keeps the variable pitch divide/multiply voices but drastically reduces other controls to a bare minimum. Kinda like the flex xs but with 2 distinct voices and a glitch computer style -2 sub octave. A mid fi PLL is a super exciting prospect!
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:02 am

Non facetious question: what SRRs are there out there in pedal form? Bitquest, iron ether, red panda... ? But they're all taking a pretty high tech approach.
Bit crushing sounds poo on guitar, but that aliasing with SRR...

I feel that if anyone could bring something new to the table it'd be Doug. Pitch pirate and clari(not) are both simple circuits and simple concepts that have just been totally Doug'd and sound like literally nothing else out there. Imagine that inventiveness and curiosity applied to SRR...

Hnnng!

I also think janky reverb could be dougable. That genre is pretty much owned by Industrialec, and maybe Caroline Meteore (sp?), but there is a lot of room for creativity there as well.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby The Eristic » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:54 pm

+1 on weird modulatable, dirtyable (but maybe not always dirty) reverb.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby rustywire » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:10 am

A deluxe pitch pirate with expanded range of waveforms & cv-out
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chrisdermo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:50 am

goroth wrote:Non facetious question: what SRRs are there out there in pedal form? Bitquest, iron ether, red panda... ? But they're all taking a pretty high tech approach.
Bit crushing sounds poo on guitar, but that aliasing with SRR...

I feel that if anyone could bring something new to the table it'd be Doug. Pitch pirate and clari(not) are both simple circuits and simple concepts that have just been totally Doug'd and sound like literally nothing else out there. Imagine that inventiveness and curiosity applied to SRR.

Bugbrand did several srr's (I believe he 'invented' the analog srr design), tsp downgrade, mooer do one, malekko did a mini one and then the scrutator, there's the 3 you mentioned, alesis bitrman, hotone have a mini one, Catalinbread heliotrope, 'mario' do one that is probably a carbon copy of the mooer one, the hexe one, the two Geiger counters, 8 bit duck, dedalo pixel, freqbox sonic bits, digdugdiy waifu, the red panda one that slots into the old line6 pedals, loads of zoom multis and boss multis can do it too......
Not all of those are strictly just srr but all include it as a feature of the pedal. I'm not saying Doug's wouldn't be amazing, I'm saying I don't have the imagination to think it could be really different to the other ones without combining other effects like some of the ones I listed. I would be more than happy to eat my words though!

Oh and I'm a slut for PLL sounds hence my suggestion. :success:
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:28 am

I'm a little over pll... hence my insistence on SRR hahaha!
Nah anything Doug does will be super rad.

But of those you listed, bug brand, tsp, bitrman, line 6 thinger are all out of production. The heliotrope (and its clone the 8 bit duck) have massive carrier bleed and are unusable live, and all the Chinese mini pedals are basically the same pedal with one single function - sample rate.

A lot of the others are some good suggestions that do cool stuff, especially the scrutator which I haz gas for, but I still think there are massive possibilities, by introducing variability into te sample rate and sample size, filters, fuzz etc.

And it's gotta be able to be built on perf. Because midfi haha

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:31 am

Hope my posts don't appear antagonistic dude! Don't mean that at all :hug:

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby chrisdermo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:47 pm

goroth wrote:I'm a little over pll... hence my insistence on SRR hahaha!
Nah anything Doug does will be super rad.

But of those you listed, bug brand, tsp, bitrman, line 6 thinger are all out of production. The heliotrope (and its clone the 8 bit duck) have massive carrier bleed and are unusable live, and all the Chinese mini pedals are basically the same pedal with one single function - sample rate.

A lot of the others are some good suggestions that do cool stuff, especially the scrutator which I haz gas for, but I still think there are massive possibilities, by introducing variability into te sample rate and sample size, filters, fuzz etc.

And it's gotta be able to be built on perf. Because midfi haha

You know what when you lay it out like that it makes sense to have someone make a really decent original one. I have to say I MASSIVELY regret ditching my bugbrand microcrusher for the scrutator, the scrutator is really ugly sounding, and the filter is post crusher so you can't get weird aliasing filter sweeps from it...... bleh. The Bugbrand was really musical sounding. Also I hated the frantabit, I wanted it to be really awesome but just felt it was a more expensive and far less versatile geiger counter civilian issue.
I would probably be on board for a mid-fi SRR..... as long as it was based off that analog circuit (totally perf-boardable, and readily available online schematic from Tom Bugs), as the digital ones don't seem to cut it for me. Fuzz it, filter it (switchable pre/post?) but for gods sake modulate it via envelope or lfo or something, static srr's are kinda boring if you don't have a free hand to tune it.
I don't know how the dwarfcraft pitchgrinder makes it's sound but it reminds me of a circuit bent casio sk-1 (8 bit,11kHz or something?). Never played one but I LOVE the sound of the demos
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to mid-fi electronics