Controlling Pedal knobs with a CV step sequencer

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Controlling Pedal knobs with a CV step sequencer

Postby molokaio » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:25 am

Hi all, ultra long time no see.
Today I came across a post by Kayzer about the dark time, googling about cv control units.
I have been playing with chase bliss pedals and moogerfoogers lately with my guitar.

I wonder if any of you have experience using cv sequencers to "animate" the parameters of pedals.

I came across these solutions, but I don't know if theyre overkill or ... herm... underkill! :lol:
I'd also love to synch the tempos of all pedals.

KORG SQ-1 the cheapest of the bunch. Double cv out. kinda cool, wallet-friendly. Any drawbacks?

DOEPFER DARK TIME 4x the price of the sq1 unfortunately, I wonder if this is worth the extra price for the extra features or if they're useless for pedal use.

DREADBOX kappa2 single cv output. don't know much more.

EHX 8 step sequencer.

Hope you guys can shed some light on this weird stuff for me. Thanks a lot

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/robzdrone/
molokaio

committed
committed

Re: Controlling Pedal knobs with a CV step sequencer

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:06 am

What are the CV in options for the Moogs and the Chase Bliss? I'm not super familiar with those.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby molokaio » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:12 am

Hey man, thanks..

Chase bliss is 0-5v (exp in). Moog murf 105 as well.

molokaio

committed
committed

Postby molokaio » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:17 am

Here you have the cv ins for the murf

molokaio

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:35 pm

Ok, so you're on the right track -- what you want to key into here is the 0-5V for the CB pedals -- that is the same range that the Moog wants to run on, according to the manual, and that makes some sense, since that's (basically) an octave, bottom to top of the wave, and the SQ-1 will do that (as well as a few other CV options that we don't care about for what you're using it for), as far as I can tell. :)
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby baremountain » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:58 pm

I have an 8-step Program and it's amazing! It has several different operation modes that make it a swiss army tool of sorts for 0-5V CV. For instance, my Pretty Years only takes CV input, but using the 8-step, I can set an expression pedal to control the depth, and with a one-step sequence, I can effectively convert expression signal to CV. You can also easily set the maximum filter position this way, giving you better control.

If you don't have another use for the SQ-1 (sequencing Volcas or what have you), I'd highly suggest the 8-step. It works wonders with my Spectre too. I sold my F13, and kind of regretted it because I missed the 'Step' mode, but with the 8-step I can perfectly replicate that effect, but with a sweeter sounding flange :)
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby molokaio » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:22 am

Thanks a lot guys! This helps a lot.
The sq1 is cool for the double cv output. But has some drawbacks, such as power. Can you synch tempo of Many pedals with the ehx?

molokaio

committed
committed

Postby baremountain » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:47 pm

You can tempo sync via either MIDI or CV input - no MIDI out/thru, and no CV out either. Really the lack of a MIDI thru is the only setback I've come across with the 8-step. If you wanted to run two pedals off the 8-step, you could just use a stackable CV cable and a 1/8" to 1/4" converter - you can split CV without losing any depth because voltage stays constant when you run the two cables parallel.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby molokaio » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:57 pm

baremountain wrote:You can tempo sync via either MIDI or CV input - no MIDI out/thru, and no CV out either. Really the lack of a MIDI thru is the only setback I've come across with the 8-step. If you wanted to run two pedals off the 8-step, you could just use a stackable CV cable and a 1/8" to 1/4" converter - you can split CV without losing any depth because voltage stays constant when you run the two cables parallel.

Thanks man, I totally understand now. So I would need something like a Disaster area Smartclock pedal.
But I'm going to first try the cv steps and see how it goes.

I seem to understand that if I had the opportunity to use a pc I could use MIDI CC to control everysingle knob differently on each pedal, but it becomes a massive programming effort. CV seems fun and easy enough. :!!!:

molokaio

committed
committed

Return to Tech & Recording