Acid Etching????

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Acid Etching????

Postby dminner » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:35 am

Since you mention hating all papers...I just have to say...I use paper from Meijer. I have from the beginning and I don't think i have ever had a bad transfer. I tape it in place. Put my iron on the hottest setting and then just set it on the transfer for one minute. After that I go aro d in small circles for about 2-3 minutes. After that, I let it cool for about 10min and then get it wet. It peels off easier and doesn't remove any transfer then. Getting it wet is key for me.

None of this really applies to him since he is painting on his masks. I just wanted to chime in since I always read about people hating paper and I have never had a issue with this approach. It is almost effortless to get a good transfer like this.
dminner

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:43 am

dminner wrote:Since you mention hating all papers...I just have to say...I use paper from Meijer. I have from the beginning and I don't think i have ever had a bad transfer. I tape it in place. Put my iron on the hottest setting and then just set it on the transfer for one minute. After that I go aro d in small circles for about 2-3 minutes. After that, I let it cool for about 10min and then get it wet. It peels off easier and doesn't remove any transfer then. Getting it wet is key for me.

None of this really applies to him since he is painting on his masks. I just wanted to chime in since I always read about people hating paper and I have never had a issue with this approach. It is almost effortless to get a good transfer like this.

Awesome! I'll try it!

I know he's painting on now, but we all know how that goes! LOL! I started that way as well and quickly got bored and started doing transfers.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:44 am

Wait...that's a store right? Can you tell me the exact kind you use? I've been searching for a good one now for almost a year and a half. Sigh.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby dminner » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:49 am

Yeah it is like a Walmart. This is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/Printworks-Photo ... B00005ATX8

It is gloss not even high gloss. It is half the price at the store though and they have buy one get one free lots of times.
dminner

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:51 am

Order a pack to try! Thanks!

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby cherler » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:56 am

Yay everyone showed up! :!!!:

Thanks for the info jwar, I've actually watched your videos. They're what got me to finally just give it a go so thanks! I am interested in the toner transfer, I'm probably gonna give it a shot at some point. And thanks for the paper suggesting dminner, I'll totally try it with that.

I really like the painting as of now though for this kind of brush artifact in this etch. Even just the littlest lines of paint held up during the etch and came up textured. I absolutely love it. I wanna learn how to draw kanji and shit and just have aluminum brush strokes on pedals.

Instagram yo

Good dealin's: D.o.S.
cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:16 am

Holy shit, that brush finish looks nice.
I really need to get around to doing etchings. So far, I've just been doing faux screen prints by cutting painters tape and spray painting, kinda curious how that'd look for etches, too.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cherler » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks! I've used painters tape on the sides of pedals like jwar mentioned before and it holds up fine. I bet you could use that as a mask.
Instagram yo

Good dealin's: D.o.S.
cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:26 pm

Yeah, that definitely looks fantastic! :!!!: :)*
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Previous

Return to DIY Effects