Is This Possible? for any builders out there...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Is This Possible? for any builders out there...

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:50 am

comesect2.0 wrote:I never saw one until today, it looks like a bit much...showed up randomly at my door....damn holidays.

Dude they are complete shit for control IMO. I can't work with anything but a regular iron. I still use the iron combo I bought at Radio Shack. It goes over 600 degrees, I believe up to 800 (Like why?) and works great. It was 60 bucks I think. Has a digital dial and has not crapped out in years. I used to literally break irons using them. Like they'd get so fucking hot they'd snap in half! hahahaha. Cheap shit. That fucking thing looks like a NIGHTMARE to solder with. You're going to need something you can have some precision with because depending on your case size choice, but the smallest I'd say you could swing with with this is 1790n (and it may be that you have to turn a pcb in order to do that), will not leave a lot of working room if you have to make minor adjustments when it's boxed. I've had that happen before and it's fucking annoying. Like I'm going to pull everything out to replace an LED or resolder a jack. Fuck that. :)

Did the shit I said about making the holes for the case make sense dude??

You can totally do this and it wouldn't' be that hard.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Strange Tales » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:16 am

Yea if you're doing electronics you'll need a low wattage, temperature controlled iron or you're going to make life hell and probably zap half of your shit.

The Hakko FX888D is probably the best bang for your buck you can find.
https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Digital-FX ... B00AWUFVY8
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:22 am

Yeah, think im gonna try &take a trip out to fyes and try to return it...when I opened the box I stood there for a couple minutes thinking what the fuck is this.... too bad all the radio shacks are now closed think 1 may still be around but the three i usually went to closed. FTW. Anyway...saw some enclosures on ebay like the size of the skychord cloudbuster...gonna go for a big size wedge type deal....baby steps, obviously gonna be a bit before this goes down now, but thanks a ton for raising my spirits on this...i'l probably be asking more questions once we hit that point in the road.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:24 am

Dang, thanks for the link strange tales.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:56 am

comesect2.0 wrote:Yeah, think im gonna try &take a trip out to fyes and try to return it...when I opened the box I stood there for a couple minutes thinking what the fuck is this.... too bad all the radio shacks are now closed think 1 may still be around but the three i usually went to closed. FTW. Anyway...saw some enclosures on ebay like the size of the skychord cloudbuster...gonna go for a big size wedge type deal....baby steps, obviously gonna be a bit before this goes down now, but thanks a ton for raising my spirits on this...i'l probably be asking more questions once we hit that point in the road.

What are you doing for art?? The Wedge shit is really cool man! I like that you want to go big! Could be cool to do a nice screen print or there's many other methods you could use that would be rad. If you want to get creative, let us know!! Acid etching is cool, harder on a wedge, but doable with patience. You can transfer old comics or newspaper onto the box...etc. So many options!

The whole process will be kind of fun and a pain in the ass. LOL! You can do it though. Make sure to take pictures before and during the process. This alleviates a lot of heads when you forget what wire goes where. Also, sharpies can be your friends to marking wires and where they go. Seems kind of dumb, but my God it's a life saver.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:14 pm

pedalidea-iloveimg-resized.jpg

:!!!: :!!!: :!!!:
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:15 pm

that's what Im thinking for the art.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:00 am

Hahaha! Looks killer!

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Previous

Return to DIY Effects