Is This Possible? for any builders out there...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Is This Possible? for any builders out there...

Postby comesect2.0 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:01 am

I have a Proteus and a Prometheus from sub decay...wanted to know if it is possible to have these two pedals rehoused in one enclosure..

...and if so what would that mean for its power supply, could it still work in a one spot daisy chain...

i guess the issue is now I really dont want to sell them, because I love the step filter and all its perks, and figure having them in the same enclosure would take care of a few things about the jacks i dont like on the prometheus, such as it takes a great ((YANK)) to get the cable out
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Is This Possible? for any builders out there...

Postby Ben79 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:48 am

I'm gonna have a stab at this and say YES

No reason why you couldn't rehouse these in one enclosure with a single dc in socket. Might need a big cap across the rails and a 100ohm on each +9v to prevent crosstalk - Crochambeau will probably chime in and tell you for sure.

As for the cable yanking, that might be easy to fix with a bit of gentle bending of the socket internals (this sentence is becoming damp with unintentional innuendo) unless the sockets are PCB mounted.

I'm just a rookie here but I've housed multiple circuits in a single enclosure with a single dc socket before without problem.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:03 am

The difficult yank sounds like it could be a lot of internal contacts on the jack, which may translate into needing a method by which the circuit thinks there is a cable plugged in. Might not be critical like that though, I have an old Neutrik patchbay that is a pain in the ass to use due to insert feel.

If the units already share a one spot line, they have ample power decoupling at the PCB level already. The concern Ben79 brings up does stand if you're wanting to slip some additional DIY into the case though.

Rehousing is an established craft, I want to say there are a few people on the board who do this (I am not one of them) though surely we'll be able to voice support if you go DIY on it. Good luck!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:46 pm

thanks y'all... :erm: i left alot of supplys behind when I had to move like my meter and all, dont even have my iron any longer, may just need to wait to repurchase them again or to figure out who to contact for a dope enclosure etching and the combining work. :idk: idea in progress.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:00 pm

Are you talking about the small boxes?

I'm pretty sure I could do it. If you want me to take a look, I'd be more than happy to. They are both well under 100 ma, so you may not even need the resister for it, but you could do it just to make sure it's not noisy.

The biggest issue would be if they are board mounted pots. Care to share a gut shot? I could tell you from that if it's an easy job or a pain in the ass.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:04 pm

Also as long as the pedal has good filtering, the daisy chain shouldn't matter.

I'd ask Brian about it. He's on the board here, so you can PM him just to get his thoughts. I've had double boxed pedals a ton of times and it's never been an issue.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:12 am

poon-003.jpg

poon-001.jpg

poon-004.jpg
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:13 am

poon-005.jpg
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Well just got a new soldering gun...but feeling pretty intimated by this project as I've never done somthing like this
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:50 pm

comesect2.0 wrote:Well just got a new soldering gun...but feeling pretty intimated by this project as I've never done somthing like this

Unless you need to solder them OUT of their existing enclosure, don't heat up the solding iron until you've mastered the dry run (complete with holes) in the new enclosure.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:51 pm

Also, you said gun. You do not mean one of these, do you?

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:51 pm

So the pots look to be board mounted which means it will be a pain in the ass to rehouse because of creating a new enclosure layout. It's doable, but you'll have some work on it.

Agreed with not heating the iron up until you figure out if you can even get it in a box. Now, you ought to be able to. I know some tricks here. Since the Proteus is so small and the holes are the same on both side, you can just flip it on top of the new box and trace the holes. Does that make sense? You know what. The Prometheus looks to be the same way. So the biggest pain in the ass it adding extra wire or de-soldering shit so it will fit right. It's definitely doable though.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:36 pm

crochambeau wrote:Also, you said gun. You do not mean one of these, do you?

What's wrong with the guns?
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:59 pm

comesect2.0 wrote:What's wrong with the guns?

They lack finesse & temperature control.

If you're DIYing with one of those things, you're a better man than I.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:40 pm

I never saw one until today, it looks like a bit much...showed up randomly at my door....damn holidays.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to DIY Effects