Keith McMillen K-Mix interface/mixer

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Keith McMillen K-Mix interface/mixer

Postby oscillateur » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:55 am

ognoy wrote:I always thought this was just another midi controller, might have mixed it up with another KMI product.

But this looks super rad!
I've been thinking about getting an audio interface with 8 inputs, but also more outputs, for sending sound to different amps/speakers.

And I can use it without a computer as well? Just as a mixer?
That would be super handy!

Yeah, it's basically a fancy audio interface and/or a mixer with effects/etc. and tons of routing options (that can function standalone) and/or a MIDI controller.
I want one too but I have other priorities for now...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ognoy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:21 pm

I doubt I'll ever buy it, but it looks super fun.
But if I got 500-600$ to spend on gear it's more likely I'll buy a guitar, amp, synth or some wicked pedals than a new recording interface.

But I should upgrade my recording gear, but I think getting some new mics and a good headset comes first when I decide to spend money on that. :)
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:25 pm

yurpah. kinda where i'm at. i would love to have one, but i have $1-$2 g's worth of other loot i could use way more before.

the recording setup i have isn't super complex/perfect, but it works for how i roll.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby baremountain » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:04 am

GASing so hard for one of those KMixes. Last night I set up a rig with 4 parallel chains, all synced via CV or MIDI (Organelle, Volca FM, Volca Beats, and guitar). I routed the first three through my audio interface and the guitar through my amp. It worked alright, but any discrepancy in levels is a pain to manage with the 18i20 interface. I was thinking about it and the KMix seems to be the perfect solution - visual readout of levels, built-in per-channel limiter, on-the-fly touch-to-change level controls, serves as an interface so I can still record. It wouldn't replace my 18i20 because I still need 8 XLR inputs for tracking full bands/doing studio work, but it seems like it'd be a great on-the-go interface on top of just being a great mixer. Does anyone wanna talk me down from this? Is there a cheaper solution?

And secondly, I have it pulled up on Sweetwater and I see it's qualified for 48-month 0% financing ($13/mo!!!!) Has anyone here done this? I've got quite a bit of money to pay off on my Paypal credit, but I do that about $200-300 at a time at the beginning of each month, so I figure $13/mo won't even really be noticeable & this mixer seems like an ideal solution to solve what is otherwise a clunky problem. Basically I wanna know if I can guarantee $13/mo, will I: 1) Definitely not spend (much) more than the full price - I see they round dollar amounts but that's relatively trivial, 2) Be able to maybe make a lump-sum payment should I come into some money (like, pay $300 off one month to get ahead), and 3) Get this mixer when I order it (ie, not layaway)?
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby baremountain » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:52 pm

Bought it & love it so far. I've got a gig this weekend & I've pretty much only used it to figure out that signal chain situation, but I'll update with a more comprehensive review soon. It's actually smaller than I imagined & *super* easy to use straight out of the box. I get a weird thing when I have it working wtih my computer sometimes where it'll basically only emit rumbles from the computer's audio output, but a quick off/on seems to fix that. No other complaints so far!

solo tunes:
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:28 pm

how are you dealing with only two xlr ins?
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby baremountain » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:06 am

waltdogg wrote:how are you dealing with only two xlr ins?

I have a Scarlet 18i20 that I'm gonna keep as well to do recordings of live bands and all that jazz. I think the KMix will be my go-to for recording myself though. If you're into having more than a couple mics (with XLR to XLR cables at least) there could be some problems that arise pretty quickly though. However I think mics with XLR to 1/4" cables would be fine as long as they don't require phantom power.

solo tunes:
associated acts:

baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:06 am

resuscitation because i'm about to grab one i think. my M-Audio 8 in 8 out just crapped out on me. fucker.

sooooooo.... still digging yours Nekid Runnin Large Hill?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby baremountain » Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 am

I PM'd you back a longer response, but I'll repeat here for public eyes that I freakin' love this thing. It's been indispensable in solving routing issues & has fixed a ton of headaches when it comes to live setups. 10/10 would KMix again.

solo tunes:
associated acts:

baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Mon May 01, 2017 12:59 pm

VERY. REASSURING.

yesssssss. mines gets here Wednesday. EXCITED.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Mon May 01, 2017 9:09 pm

Urrr, the Folktek Mescaline made a (very nicely shaped) hole in my planned purchases for this year (because I seem to finally be an adult and I plan things now), so the K-Mix will likely have to wait a bit more.

I don't remember if I asked this before : does it handle modular level signals nicely (i.e. enough headroom to attenuate things without clipping first) ?
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oscillateur » Mon May 01, 2017 9:09 pm

Urrr, the Folktek Mescaline made a (very nicely shaped) hole in my planned purchases for this year (because I seem to finally be an adult and I plan things now), so the K-Mix will likely have to wait a bit more.

I don't remember if I asked this before : does it handle modular level signals nicely (i.e. enough headroom to attenuate things without clipping first) ?
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Mon May 01, 2017 10:25 pm

there's a 15 page thread on Muffs about it, people seem to have no problem using it with modular shizz.

lol. which is GOOD. because that's my PLAN.

so, i know there were those hinky wood Block things, but.... i would love a little patch point box that is 1/4 mono jacks on one side, 1/8 mono jacks on the other. so i could have a little Euro Out breakout box to make cabling more simple.

where..... would i get something like that? apparently my SearchFu is SHIT.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Psyre » Sat May 20, 2017 12:25 am

Hey behndy :hello:

How are you fairing on your continued path of fandom for the K-mix? I think that's what's next.... everything about it screams yes yes yes :omg:
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Sat May 20, 2017 1:26 am

doooood it's such an awesome little bugger. i haven't even setup any efx loops, just using basic in and outs and it just WORKS. love the size, love the interface.

and Danno is working on a 1/4 to 1/8 exchange boxy for me.

VERY HAPPY.

WOULD FUCK AGAIN.

10/10.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to Tech & Recording