My Dunable

Moderator: Ghost Hip

My Dunable

Postby SPACERITUAL » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:57 pm

A couple of people have asked what happened with my dunable. I dont really want to put sascha on blast because i feel like maybe he just didnt have alot of experience when he built this guitar or something i dont know. The guitar came with some really bushleague finish flaws and a crooked bridge and shipped in a disgusting cumstained gigbag. I dont really need to actually talk about it because the pictures speak for themselves. Most of these are of the guitar in its current state, after being sent back to sascha to fix the bridge. My honest assessment is that, despite all the fuckups, it still sounds pretty good and the neck carve he did for me is awesome. From a really long distance it even looks good.....Do i wish i hadnt bought it? Yeah kindof, but Id never sell it...pretty much just becasue i cant imagine anyone receiving this guitar and ending up happy with it. I feel like if i gave a good tech a hundred or so he could make it pretty nice i guess???

D.o.S. wrote:Yeah I have a Godsmack shirt

jwar wrote:Not to be a dick or anything but My Bloody Valentine sucks ass.

My whole life is a shitpost. One. Big. Shit. Post.
SPACERITUAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: My Dunable

Postby Iommic Pope » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:29 am

Is that seriously a semen stain in the case?

Not gonna sugar coat it, there are some things about that which are still not 100% to my eye, but what the fuck do I know?
I say a lefty yeti on their IG feed the other day though, and thought a reverse one would be sweet as fuck.

How's it play?
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:32 am

as a tech who sees way too many guitars a day, that's really not any worse than the deviation you see on new high end guitars that are pass produced. builder/manufacturer gets comfortable and qc slips.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:47 am

When prices hover at the $2K mark I think Space has fair recourse to be shitty with that.
WWPD?

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:49 am

oh of course. it's pretty much the same thing as a customer being pissed when their new $2k gibby or w/e is just as fucked. and i totally understand. i try my best to setup and fix up all the high end stuff that comes in fucked up but there's just me. this is just sad if anything. i didn't wanna throw shade on dunable either.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:23 am

Yeah werd.
Yeah his stuff looks REAL good, but this is somewhat unsettling.
At least he stood behind his product and did the rectification work.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:52 am

Have you ever owned a small production, "boutique" instrument, that you didn't pick apart looking for details why to be unhappy with it?
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:41 pm

not sure if thats sarcasm or not. so the answer is both.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby SPACERITUAL » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:45 pm

DarkAxel wrote:Have you ever owned a small production, "boutique" instrument, that you didn't pick apart looking for details why to be unhappy with it?

Have you ever let me post anything without being a contrarian for absolutely no reason? Like what did you gain by posting that? You arent contributing to the thread in any way. Last I checked, you've only ever been interested in cheap or second hand guitars, so why even bother?

Dudes have been messaging me about the guitar for almost two years now and I figured enough time had gone by that I could post it without totally fucking over the builder. So I did. None of the stuff in the pics is indicative of a handmade product as it is of just being sloppy work. Case closed.
D.o.S. wrote:Yeah I have a Godsmack shirt

jwar wrote:Not to be a dick or anything but My Bloody Valentine sucks ass.

My whole life is a shitpost. One. Big. Shit. Post.
SPACERITUAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:25 pm

There really is no excuse for new, custom instruments to arrive looking rushed or unfinished, when they are pitched/presented/justified as carrying a premium pricetag for being crafted by hand, with care. I"ve seen better detailing on $100 Tokais and Teiscos made 40-50 years ago. Couldn't even include a new $80 gig bag? Fuck off.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:04 pm

rustywire wrote:There really is no excuse for new, custom instruments to arrive looking rushed or unfinished, when they are pitched/presented/justified as carrying a premium pricetag for being crafted by hand, with care. I"ve seen better detailing on $100 Tokais and Teiscos made 40-50 years ago. Couldn't even include a new $80 gig bag? Fuck off.

So much this.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dunbine » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:22 am

Just wanted to say thanks to SPACERITUAL for sharing the benefit of his experience. As someone who is interested in Dunable guitars, I was one of those who PM'd asking for information but I couldn't view the pics he sent over. I could try to call & visit Sacha, but I'm looking for owner opinions first. It looks like RevAmp is a reasonable drive away and they might have Dunable inventory. If I can make it down there and see if things have improved, I'll report back with findings. Anyone else suited to do the same at CME?
Good deals: DannDubbleEwe, D.o.S., nevada, lordgalvar, Jwar, baremountain, LaoWiz, Jero, Cody_Pole, goroth
dunbine

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkAxel » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:15 am

SPACERITUAL wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:Have you ever owned a small production, "boutique" instrument, that you didn't pick apart looking for details why to be unhappy with it?

Have you ever let me post anything without being a contrarian for absolutely no reason? Like what did you gain by posting that? You arent contributing to the thread in any way. Last I checked, you've only ever been interested in cheap or second hand guitars, so why even bother?

last I checked I spent 1500€ on a Rickenbacker :idk:

but that's beside the point, which I would like to explain because I went too sarcastic, sorry about that. My point is that I have seen you criticizing "boutique" or handmade guitars and I can't help thinking that you might be a bit too hard on the builders. I mean - sure, I can imagine that after paying above a certain amount, you'd like the instrument to be perfect. But I'm sorry but I think that expectation is illogical - especially when you're dealing with smaller companies. Those are still people, handmaking the instruments for a considerable amount of the process.

It would be much more logical expecting really good results from a bigger company that runs a custom shop, that has the hi-tech machinery combined with the human element and the resources to re-do any fuckups ad nauseam and asks for a lot of money and then delivers a subpar product. It's like being unhappy with occasional differences in handmade pedals' sound - that to me is what comes from the imperfection of the human, small production element because they can't/won't/don't have the resources to perfectly match and pick all the components. That's what you're actually paying for I'd even say :idk:

Maybe you've been really unlucky. But I remember seeing your photos of the EGC and thinking "that's not too bad tho?" or "I don't see what he means" etc. Here, I see what you mean, the bridge doesn't line up with the pickguard - maybe it's a badly cut pickguard, which I think is more probable and which is not such an issue as it can be easily replaced. The gigbag is bad, yes. But the neck/fingerboard issues I'd not see as drastically problematic :idk:

What I'm saying is... Maybe you're too hard on these builders. Maybe I'm wrong, sure... All I know is that I have bought an expensive instrument from a company that is known for certain problems with QC and I'm happy with it. Is it perfect? It's not. And I paid 1500€ which, for me, is
for example half a year of rent for my room with utilities. My dad will give me some of that next year as a present but now I worked two part time jobs for a couple months to be able to afford that, paid that from my money, and although the instrument is not perfect, I am happy I got it. I was aware of the possibility I might get a dud, I didn't and that's fine. I know what I like about it and why it was worth all the effort and I do not pick it apart. I could and could make myself way unhappy with it, but I don't want to live like that as I accept imperfections :idk: As has been mentioned - I have seen expensive instruments from big companies that were worse than yours. QC is one thing, but again - the human element I mentioned is also a factor, even moreso in this case.

If I seem overly contrarian to your posts, I apologize. You've changed and I've come to not like your attitude. But I try not to be a dick about it. In this case, I just felt like saying something because... shit it just felt like you've been making yourself unhappier than you need to be by picking something apart way too much :idk:

PS: a friend of mine just got his Dunable RD and I haven't seen any issues I'd notice with it. Feel free to write that off as "DA doesn't see anything through his rose-tinted glasses" as I might be too benevolent, but that's my 0.02 :idk:
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Imperfections in a custom, handmade guitar are one thing. In fact, they should be expected to some extent. I don't think that's the issue.
But a custom guitar crossing the 4-figure threshold and arriving "unfinished" or "good enough" is something else entirely. Over the past several years Gibby has been garnering a rep for suffering in that regard, with (for example) sharp frets on $3500 production models. WRT attention to detail; while perfection may be a tall order, exceptional is possible to achieve, nor is it unreasonable to expect such a standard if you're paying a premium for [it].
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Am I the only one who read the thread title as "My dumble" and clicked because Spacey with a blues lawyer amp would be so funny? :lol:
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass