School me on inexpensive usb mixers

Moderator: Ghost Hip

School me on inexpensive usb mixers

Postby pd~ » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:36 pm

I need specific functionality for my apartment playing. I want one piece of hardware that will allow this routing:

1: audio source -> 2: external fx -> 3: pc in via mixer -> 4: pc out via mixer -> 5: external fx -> 6: headphones via mixer.

Reading online, it's not clear whether something like the Behringer Q802 will let me control what comes through the headphones. I only want to hear 6, not 3 or 4.
aka leaves turn - engineer with DigiTech/DOD
pd~

committed
committed

Re: School me on inexpensive usb mixers

Postby waltdogg » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:47 pm

you'll probably have better luck with an actual usb interface as opposed to a mixer with an a/d converter tacked onto it. and most usb interfaces or daws allow you to select what is routed to the headphones/main mix.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:54 pm

zoom r8 or r16? kind of a multi tracker / mixer / interface hybrid
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:59 pm

alesis makes some too. & mackie. the names are escaping me atm
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:33 pm

oh yeah, didn't think about the zoom. there are a few dedicated multitrack mixing recorder/interfaces. never fucked with those though
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:53 pm

pd~ wrote:I need specific functionality for my apartment playing. I want one piece of hardware that will allow this routing:

1: audio source -> 2: external fx -> 3: pc in via mixer -> 4: pc out via mixer -> 5: external fx -> 6: headphones via mixer.

Reading online, it's not clear whether something like the Behringer Q802 will let me control what comes through the headphones. I only want to hear 6, not 3 or 4.

I have yet to meet a small & cheap mixer that would support this signal path in one pass. I do not believe the 802 will do it. I read it as the following:

1) input channel(s).
2) effects send #1
3) bus #1 (sub mixing both input channel(s) and effects loop #1 return path)
4) bus #2 (to prevent feedback loop at computer)
5) additional channel strips to support effects send #2, which is presumably then folded back into bus #2.
6) headphone amp/control room setting that allows you to mute submix sections (in this case bus #1 which just feeds PC).

The key here is simply multiple effects send/returns (or direct outputs on each channel, at the loss of being able to submix an effects feed from multiple sources) and a 4 buss (so you can have stereo on each path). Mind you, I have NO experience with USB mixers, just hardware mixers and sound cards - I'm unaware of any new features USB implementation allows (if any).
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby pd~ » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:46 pm

My needs are actually more simple than that. #2 is a superfluous step, the external fx are part of the audio source in this case:

1) guitar/synth/pedals to mixer
2) mixer to software
3) software to mixer
4) mixer to pedals
5) pedals to mixer headphone out

So I should only need one fx send/return.

The key benefit I'm seeking is to be able to route through software, then more pedals, then be able to listen via headphones without an additional piece of hardware. This'd be really easy if I my final destination was an amp or a pedal with a headphone jack. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the routing options on the Q502/Q802. I _think_ they might work if I can send the main out through pedals and back into an aux in, and have the headphones only monitor the aux in.

Thanks for the replies so far.
aka leaves turn - engineer with DigiTech/DOD
pd~

committed
committed

Return to Tech & Recording