Bass pickups

Bass pickups

Postby mmurphy1000 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:40 pm

A question for you all:

What pickups would you recommend checking out for a Mexican fender P?

I just picked one up b/c I needed a P (plus I'm shallow and the color matched my jazz basses and Strat).

I've been happy with the stock pickups on all the other fenders but this P sounds like thin, wet butt. It's awful.

I plan to keep it in d standard so I don't want anything too mushy... I know the traditional P sound is pretty thwubby and I do want that thickness, but with enough edge to have good note definition.
mmurphy1000

committed
committed

Re: Bass pickups

Postby Kacey Y » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Dimarzio Model P has been my go to. Both in the MIM Precision I used to play and in my homemade one I replaced it with. It sounds really good with heavy/aggressive music, downtuning, fuzz/overdrive/distortion and it's CHEAP.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby mmurphy1000 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:38 pm

Cool, thank you - definitely checking that one out. Sometimes I go down to drop C, good to know it will work for down tuning. And cheap is good!
mmurphy1000

committed
committed

Postby Timm Grimm » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:50 am

Model P is an awesome one, but another to look at is the EMG Geezer Butler signature. I could have gone either way on those two. I'd agree that it also does well with the variables mentioned above. I currently have the GZR loaded in my P and I've been happy with it. Another I was interested in was the Dimarzio Split P. I haven't played one, but from videos and sound clips, it seems a little more aggressive sounding then the model p. I could be off on that, but I'm interested in checking it out.
Timm Grimm

experienced
experienced

Postby Timm Grimm » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:14 am

I'd also add that the GZR has a nice edge to it without being too sharp.
Timm Grimm

experienced
experienced

Postby mmurphy1000 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Hm, for some reason I thought the geezer emgs were active but Google tells me they are not!
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm off to check out some geezer clips :)
mmurphy1000

committed
committed

Postby bloatedsack » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:32 pm

The GZR gets great love.
The Duncan Steve Harris model gets me excied because I love Steve Harris.
Lace Aluma-P's sound interesting, but I can't bring myself to spend the money to try.
The DiMarzio Model P is probably the one I should buy.
I'm thinking the Lawrence P46 is where I'm going to end up, though. Cheap enough (I need to buy two), uncommon (I like that), and visually different (extra magnets). Mostly coz its the cheapest.

Those all sound good to my listening tests, but I have no direct experience with any of them. Actually, the Aluma-P may not sound good, but damn if it isn't visually intersting and makes me want it most of all.
bloatedsack

committed
committed

Postby Timm Grimm » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:43 pm

mmurphy1000 wrote:Hm, for some reason I thought the geezer emgs were active but Google tells me they are not!
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm off to check out some geezer clips :)

It's passive.

I have a Bill Lawrence p46 sitting in the drawer that I've been wanting to try out. I need to get on that. I've been lazy about it, because the GZR has been so solid.
Timm Grimm

experienced
experienced

Postby starmansam » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:54 pm

Not sure if you like the idea of budget pickups, but I recently built a bass and threw some GFS vintage p pickups in it. I was pleased with the clarity, the low end, and how nicely they held together playing chords thru fuzz. I was planning on getting some alumitones or something and these were just going to be a placeholder, but I think I'm keeping them. hope that helps.
starmansam

committed
committed

Postby mmurphy1000 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:10 pm

starmansam wrote:Not sure if you like the idea of budget pickups, but I recently built a bass and threw some GFS vintage p pickups in it. I was pleased with the clarity, the low end, and how nicely they held together playing chords thru fuzz. I was planning on getting some alumitones or something and these were just going to be a placeholder, but I think I'm keeping them. hope that helps.

Thanks, I will look into these as well. Clarity is very important to me...I hate getting lost in a mushy wall of sound.
mmurphy1000

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:37 am

may be relevant to interests:

blk/tri is doing bass pickups now.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mmurphy1000 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:59 pm

odontophobia wrote:may be relevant to interests:

Interesting! Their site keeps crashing on my phone though, will have to wait til I'm home to learn more.

Thanks!
mmurphy1000

committed
committed

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:38 am

nordstrand np4a should be good, I have the 5 string version in my main bass, huge sound, very loud, more balanced than a duncan 1/4 ponder [also :thumb: a great pickup]
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby ole jason » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:06 pm

GZR kills in my roadworn P
ole jason

interested
interested

Postby Bad-Samaritan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:18 pm

odontophobia wrote:may be relevant to interests:

This. Thinking about getting one for my Guild. I heard some of his guitar pups live, murderous.
Bad-Samaritan

involved
involved

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org