Nimbus Special Edition

Moderator: Taylor Livingston

Nimbus Special Edition

Postby Taylor Livingston » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:56 pm

Hey guys, I have something new to show you. Please let me know what you think!

Starting with the deep, liquid reverb of the Nimbus, the Special Edition adds several new features which greatly expand its capabilities and expressiveness:

-Assignable expression pedal input for "Size" (Room Size, Bass, and Treble simultaneously) or for input level to the reverb path.
--Built-in expression attenuator limits the maximum sweep, allowing you to set up a large or small window of expression control changes.
---Exp stomp switch activates expression control, allowing you to instantly get back to your original reverb sound after altering things with expression control.

-Exp stomp switch takes over expression control when no expression pedal is connected - allowing for trails bypass, an infinite hold stomp, or a second reverb sound "preset" at your feet, without taking up any extra pedalboard space.

More details are here. It's in stock right now in the shop.
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Re: Nimbus Special Edition

Postby Jwar » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:18 am

I think it looks sexy as hell! :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby aetheriac » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:09 am

Agreed!! Makes me want a 3rd Nimbus... :yay: :animal:
aetheriac

interested
interested

Postby Tristan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Damn Fuck.
Fuck Damn.
I want it.
:lol:
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frodog » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Beautiful! The exp control seems useful, I doubt I would even use a rocker pedal for it.

Although my 1st gen Nimbus works fine I'd love to swap it out with this at some point, if and when I can afford it...
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:57 pm

This looks awesome. Great feature set!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Taylor Livingston » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:56 pm

Perhaps worth mentioning that I was able to redesign the Nimbus PCB to be faster to build, and I'm passing the savings on to you guys. :group: The price of the standard Nimbus is now lower, and the Special Edition is the same price as the standard used to be. Both now have upgraded (lower) noise and distortion specs, too.
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Postby Tristan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:48 pm

Could you elaborate a bit more on how the exp switch works as a second preset or as an infinite hold switch, how do you dial that in?
Oh, nevermind, I saw the manual now. :lol:
One thing though, I thought the bass control was meant to boost bass but now that I read the manual it seems to cut it, is that right?
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Perhaps worth noting that I now have a boner. :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Taylor Livingston » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:11 pm

To set up a second sound, you'd just set the Exp knob to however much you want to add to Room Size, Bass, and Treble. So you might set up a small room (RS: 8 o'clock, B: 3, T: 7) on the top three knobs, and then you can set the Exp knob to about 3 o'clock. When Exp is switched on, you'd get a much larger room, longer decay time, and brighter.

For infinite hold, it's exactly the same except you'd turn the Exp knob all the way up. That sets Room Size, Bass, and Treble to maximum, which is full-spectrum 99.9% feedback, so the note will be held for a very long time, in the minutes. It's not actually truly infinite, because actually hitting 100% feedback would make for all kinds of speaker- and ear-shredding howls. Not the cool kind.

The Bass knob is a low shelving filter in the reverb feedback path. So every time the sound bounces around in that simulated space, it goes through that filter. Fully up is unfiltered, turning down progressively cuts bass. Treble is the same, but a high shelf - all the way up is unfiltered, down cuts treble. This simulates the way sound gets filtered by surfaces as it bounces around a space.
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Return to Iron Ether